Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story......

First, I have learned to say that "Everyone Is Different" and you all have your own ideas and philosophies. But this is MY Story.

Surgery to Week #4 Lost weight...who couldn't? With 4 weeks of liquids, mushies, gas pains, itchy incisions, etc, etc.

Week #4 to #8 Got my first fill,...4cc's, and NOTHING! What I did get, since I was all healed and recovered from surgery, was my old appetite and hunger come roaring back like a Bear coming out of hibernation! Hungry all the time. I was very discouraged and angry Thought I made a BIG MISTAKE! The more people told me I had to count calories, etc, the more angrier I got! BANDSTER HELL! I actually GAINED WEIGHT during this period.

Week #8 to #12 At week #8, my second visit, the Dr. asked me why I thought I had gained weight. I was honest, told him I was as hungry as I was before the surgery! He smiled, pointed to the Yellow-Green-Red chart on the wall, and said "This is where I want you to be" This is the goal.

He gave me my second fill, 2cc's for a total of 6cc.

This was the TURNING POINT! I was no longer in Bandster Hell. For this first time I felt that this was actually going to work! My portion sizes got very small, I finsihed my meals after eating very little and satisfied, and I was not hungry in between meals. My confidence rose, I became very optimistic. I started to excercise more frequently because now I felt I wa actually doing something productive! And I was loosing weight again, steadily, with little effort.

Problem was...it was NOT PERMANENT! It would come and go, from day to day. But I was excited because I KNEW it was there and I was not wasting my time.

Week #12 to Present 3rd visit with Dr. Pleased with my weight loss. Pointed to the Yellow-Green-Red chart, and asked where do I think I am at? I said borderline Yellow-Green, weaving in and out.

He gave me my 3rd (and final) fill, 1cc for a total of 7cc. He said he hoped that would kick me up to the green, and It DID! PERMANENTLY 24/7!

That was last May. Since then I have stoipped counting calories, stopped worrying about portion sizes, I eat when I'm hungry (which is not often) and I stop when I'm satisfied.

I won't say the last fill did not bring it's own problems and challenge...It did. But I was determined to work them out and not go back to "Sometimes" feelings I had one step before.

It took about 3 weeks of getting frequently stuck, along with all the other signs of perhaps being too tight. But then either the band settled in, or I adapted and changed my ways (latter more accurate) I fell into a "Groove" That was 8-9 months ago and have been living a "Normal" life ever since.

I consider myself a success. If I never loose another #, that would be just fine with me.

2 weeks ago the Dr. gave me 1/2cc. We both agreed I did not need it, but then agreed to do it just to see what happens. Well I started to loose again, slowly. But when I see him in June, I may ask to get that 1/2cc removed. I can always get it put back in at a later date. That's what I consider maintenence...the fine tweaking.

So there, that's my story. Yours may be different, or have different views. But the end result is all about loosing weight, and how you get there is up to you. And that's all that really matters.

This was good to read! I'm scheduled for surgery Thurs, and was wondering how many fills I will need before noticing the restriction. Seems like FOREVER waiting on ur date to get here, and then another FOREVER getting to the green zone. It will come in due time, I suppose. I am just impatient! I wanna get to losing! Just out of curiosity, did u do the fills under fluoro? Thanks for sharing!

thank you for sharing ! and thank you for the advise you give the rest of us..smile.png

B-52, how many cc's does your band hold?

Thank you for sharing....I have had my first fill (6.5 cc in a 14cc band) and can barely feel restriction. The only time I can feel restriction is when I eat bread or Chicken....then it gets stuck. I go for my next fill in a week, I'm hoping to get closer to that 'green zone' since I am hungry most of the time and find myself wanting to 'graze'. I have been chewing gum when I am hungry just to have the sensation of chewing instead of eating. I have hit the 250 mark and cant seem to drop lower than that. I got to 249 for 1 day, then back up to 250. Its frustrating, my body is just holding on to the weight, even though I have gone down 2 full pant sizes (YAY).I cant wait to see the scale drop again, i'm looking forward to my next fill!!!

B-52, how many cc's does your band hold?

I have a 10cc band so yes, I am extremely tight. Not for everybody but many people here do prefer it.

And no floro, just a fill, drink a cup of Water and go home.

Thanks for that post. I sooo needed to hear it. I go for my second fill on wed and have been really thinking I made a mistake. The scale has NOT moved since my last appt a month ago and I am hungry all the TIME. I am thankful that I have not gained during this time but man I have had to fight like hell for it! I am sooo ready for the scale to start moving again.

Thanks for that post. I sooo needed to hear it. I go for my second fill on wed and have been really thinking I made a mistake. The scale has NOT moved since my last appt a month ago and I am hungry all the TIME. I am thankful that I have not gained during this time but man I have had to fight like hell for it! I am sooo ready for the scale to start moving again.

Be honest with your Dr. Don't tell him what he wants to hear. Tell him you are hungry so bad you can't stand it anymore!

I worry that it will take me a long time to feel restriction- I have a 14 cc band- not sure how much each fill is, especially the initial ones, hopefully they're sizable at the beginning!!

I worry that it will take me a long time to feel restriction- I have a 14 cc band- not sure how much each fill is, especially the initial ones, hopefully they're sizable at the beginning!!

No fill yet? I hear they should be larger, and it does take more for any effect.

Nice post! Great success!

Cheri

Thanks for the post! I was kinda lucky as I has almost 2cc in from surgery and at my first fill she brought me upto 5.5cc. I had pretty good restriction from the get go.

you have done excellent!!

I loved your story because like most others it gives me a guide on what to expect. I had surgery last tues and felt great almost from the beginning. No pain no hunger etc, but now I am beginning to feel hungry throughout the day. I am still on full liquids which I am having no trouble with so I wasn't quite sure if the hunger is actual hunger or just the need to eat because that is what i do. My dr did put some Fluid in my band during surgery but I don't know how much. I now have some good questions to ask and will be sure to be frank about my hunger etc. Thanks for your info.

Great post as usual B52. I am trying to decide if I want another small fill. I have only had one and I am only 19 pounds from my goal but boy is it difficult getting that last few pounds off. I definitely know that I wasnt eating right for a few weeks there, I was losing control for the first time being banded. I seem to be back on track now and am dropping weight, all be it slowly though. I have a couple of weeks before I go back to the doc so I will see how I feel during that time and try to decide if I want another fill or not.

Again, great post, it is always helpful to read about your experiences.

What an awesome success story, B-52! I was thinking about having the VSG done, but I'm not keen about removing my stomach (well, half of it). I'm prepared for what the Lap Band has to offer, but of course, I'm completely nervous about side effects and complications. I truly do appreciate your story! *:-)