Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this site and new to the lap band. I am almost 5 weeks post op, and I have had a fill. My first fill was only 1cc. (i'm not sure if that was common or not.) What i am a little worried about is, if I am eating 1000-1200 calories a day and working out, burning 350-470 calories a day, why am i not moving at all in weight? am I doing something wrong? I know i am getting enough Protein, and enough Water. Maybe i am expecting too much too fast. If anyone has any ideas as to what i may be doing wrong, please let me know! Any help would be good help! thanks :D

Hi Jbean911,

I am 14 months post op. 1 cc is not uncommon for a first fill. What size band do you have? I am a little concerned about the amount of calories you are getting. 1000-1200 calories a day right now, 5 weeks post op seems to high to me. I struggle to get that now! What are you eating? My doctor instructed me to eat 4 oz. of food 3 times a day. This was broke down to 3 oz. of Protein and 1 oz. of anything else. I would use Isopure drinks to helps with my protein intake. I would get between 500-600 calories a day. You should stay full 4-5 hours after you eat. If I got hungry 2 hours or so after having my meal I would know it was time to schedule a fill. I have followed what my surgeon said to do completely. I am 14 months out and have lost over 200 pounds. I feel absolutely wonderful. I am trying to maintain now and am finding it difficult to get enough food to do that! Anyways, I hope this helps. Good luck on your journey!

It is normal not to lose in the beginning. I lost nothing weeks 2-5 post op. give it some time and the scale will move. Please do not eat only 500-600 calories. That is not enough for your body to function on, especially if working out.

I'm not suggesting to eat 500-600 calories either! I would however like to know what she is eating. I just stated what I was getting and what my surgeon told me to do. I left out that I work(ed) out and walk 5 miles a day. I suggest she talks with her doctor and her nutritionalist about what her targeted calorie and Protein intake should be. I still do not see how she could possibly get that many calories eating 4 oz of food per meal. That's why I would like to know what she is eating to help me see what I could possibly add to my diet to help me maintain.

I have always had between 1000-1200 calories a day and I work out at least 2 hours a day. You may want to look at what those calories are that you are eating. Are they Protein and veggies? That is the only thing that I can think of at this point. As far as the fills, I do not have one yet so I can not comment. Do not get frustrated that scale will start moving. Also you are still in the healing phase so make sure you are taking care of yourself!

Dont worry it will come off...Just follow what your doctor tells you and everything will be fine. The first month is all about healing and adjusting. I know your past that know but the weight will come off.

Your still healing if that helps at all ! So when it does start,,, it will keep coming off for a while, and fills help.

You say you stay under 1200 calories a day, and workout. Thats great ! But do you log it on line at all...

You can try myfitnesspal.com and it takes care of everything, calories,protein, exercise, and keeps it all in memory.

So you can go back, and retrieve your info. when needed. Also you can view other peoples Diary, and see what they

are eating, and get ideas from that.

Look me up if you want, I'm Losingintime on that site.

thanks for the feed back people! my dietician told me she wanted me on 1200 calories a day. i was eating only 900 and she said my body isnt loseing because its in "starvation mode" i dont know. before she told me that i was barely getting to 900 calories. my band holds 9cc, and my first fill was 1cc. i dont get another fill for 2 more weeks. i get 3-4 oz of protien every meal, but she said if i work out and burn 350 calories that i should eat those calories too. i dont know if she is wrong, or if there is a method to her madness?! frusterdated!

When I saw the Shrink for surgery She said no more then 700 calories per day. I thought that was rather extreme, and she said all the RNY Patients eat that amount so why shouldn't you !

I said I'm not hear for that kind of surgery. She said it doesn't matter.

So I talked to the Dr. when he checked to see what she had to say. What ! ! ! I'm your surgeon, and I don't give a DAMN what she says... You stay under 1200 calories a day, workout, and get your Water in, and this will work.

So I do between 1000-1200, but am comfortable at 900-1100 calories a day.

Your nutritionist should be the one you listen to. You need at least 1200 calories. This is determined to be your, and most women's , basal metabolism level. This meaner its the amount of calories need by your body to perform basic and necessary functions such as maintance of body temp. People think because they are eating less then this they will lose more, this is not the case. What actually happens is your body goes into shock and acts as if the last food it recieved is the last food it will get, it goes into survival mode and immediately converts this into fat. So while you may be working out, everything you pit into your body is turning into fat. If this makes sense it will be really helpful in the future. I was wondering why I wasn't losing weight when I was only eating at max 800 calories, but when I bumped it up the lbs melted off.

one thing that works for me is - i stick to the 800 calories per day about 85% of the time. About every 7 -10 days i have a big "cheat" day where i eat everything and anything i want - because of restriction that may put me to about 1200-1500 calories that day. I then immediately go back to the 800 calories per day. I think this is working because i'm shocking my body and letting it know there will be big calorie days so no need to go into starvation/plateau mode.wink.png

Try keeping it up and down like 700-800 today, and 1000-1200 the next day. Your body really won't get the chance to join the STARVATION NATION, but will deal with a lower amount of calories per week, and this will cause weight loss also. Thats 1 reason why you should only weigh yourself once a week or every 2 weeks. So you gradually see the change. If you do it to harsh, you can really mess up your metabolism. I;m sure you don't want to gain weight by eating a hot dog or a hard boiled egg. It has been known to happen when you come out of starvation mode..

I think you/she should listen to her nutritionist at staying around 1200 calories. After all this person is the one who was trained in this field not you.

Sorry I didn't mean that to come out so harsh. That was not what I intended.