Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going On Vacation, Should I Get A Slight Un-Fill?

I had sworn I would never do the vacation unfill to go and splurge on food, and I'm still not considering it for that particular reason. I am tight right now, like I can only have shakes or oatmeal before noon time and late dinner after 8pm is no good either. I will easily get stuck if I don't take my time eating. I can handle all of this here at home where I can easily seek help if needed. Well in 2 weeks we will be flying to Cancun and I'm kind of scared to go and have problems over there, I've also heard the cabin pressure can make the band tighter for the first 2-3 days. I don't want to have to skip out on Breakfast and eat Soups all day, would you consider a slight unfill? I actually have an appt set up for the day before I leave, but I'm still debating or it...And if I do, how much should I remove? I'm at 6cc's in a 10cc band. Already a bit too tight, but like I said I can handle it being here at home. I've read where people deflate the entire band, I don't want to do that. Also can I refill it as soon as I get back? Or will it have to be done little by little... Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Just my opinion, keep everything the same and just do like you do at home. It's a lifestyle change. Be careful in Mexico and have fun!

Cheri

I vacation all the time, different countries, everything. I never considered a unfill. I chose a life with the band and I will live day to day with that decision no matter where or what I'm doing.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I've been thinking about it a lot these past few days cause my band has been really tight. These past 3 days have been really hard on me. Broccoli and shrimp are my favorite and I have not been able to eat that without getting stuck in the first to second bite. Yesterday I got stuck on pieces of sliced, deli turkey.

Are you guys able to eat a normal Breakfast? Or is it normal for me to just be able to have shakes or oatmeal?

Are you guys able to eat a normal breakfast? Or is it normal for me to just be able to have shakes or oatmeal?

I cannot eat anything in the morning, so I have a shake.

But, my band loosens up after a few hours so I can have a late breakfast if I wanted to.

Thanks! My sister keeps telling me that I can't be normal if I can only have a shake for breakfast...i guess I started to believe her! (she does NOT have the band)

Also, if you're on vacation, you may not have the opportunity, or time to eat. That's not a bad thing, right?

Something in the morning is always important, but after that ou may go all day without any time to eat.

LOL! That's true, but we are staying in an all inclusive resort with over 7 restaurants and I have a hubby that loves to eat! HAhaha, I hope they have some really yummy soups!

I also have to only have liquids before noon. And I'm also flying next month and am fairly tight after my last fill. I've been wondering the same thing....

While I can get only being able to drink at breakfast; if you have trouble the rest of the day you sre too tight. I can't tell you how many people have posted on here who are as tight as you and a month later report their band has slipped. Be very care full.

While I can get only being able to drink at breakfast; if you have trouble the rest of the day you sre too tight. I can't tell you how many people have posted on here who are as tight as you and a month later report their band has slipped. Be very care full.

Thank you!! I have been PB'ing/throwing up a lot these past 3 days, well not today cause I've stuck to only soft foods. I wouldn't even know if my band has slipped, or are the symptoms clear? The times I have been stuck have all been my fault, wrong foods or eating big bites. You would think that after 5-6 months I would know better!

If you are too tight for a normal day you should go get a slight unfill about like a 1/4 cc which should make a lot of difference. But to just get an unfill so you can eat more food for the fun of it still say no. But maybe a slight unfill will help but when you come you can keep it that way and eat better

I had a fill months ago ½cc and in two weeks it was too much but I went in and told the Dr I would only let him take about a small amount so he promised. He took .03 out and I was still ahead by .02 and it was perfect months later.

I say never let them take it all out unless you have medical reason for it. I have hear too many peopl say the never feel the same again.

Cheri

For me it would be dangerous territory to get an unfill before a vacation, however in your case you can't get real food down without having trouble. That is a problem. Being unable to eat solids in the morning is perfectly normal for a bandster. You should be able to eat small amounts of solid Protein during the day and it does sound like you are too tight. Maybe a tiny unfill would be a good idea. Just don't "go to town" on your vacation. I was able to go on a 12 day cruise and I lost weight by sticking to small amounts of healthy food. I made sure to exercise daily to counter act the pina coladas! Airplane cabins are pressurized so I don't think that should affect your band. I am curious about that though.

Thanks everyone! Honestly I wasn't thinking about getting an unfill just to stuff my face, I just don't want to throw up. When I do throw up it's not cause I overeat either, so yeah maybe I'm just too tight. Weird thing is I had my last fill about 3 weeks ago and just now started to feel much tighter.