Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Not Feeling Negative?

I'm negative right now, because this is all new to me, and everyday is a new surprise and I don't do good at surprises, but I read the success stories and most of them say they have had the same problems or thoughts at the same time in process so its normal, Lets hope to be success stories!target.gif

I was banded on 1/27. The first week was the WORST. Now, Im moving on and Im feeling better and better every day. Im not thinking of food every 2 seconds, Im losing at a decent rate, Im feeling better and healing good.

My thing is, I come on here every day..actually this site is always up..and all I read is negative. I know its tough..and everyone is going to get in their ruts..but I thought there would be a lot more positive than negative. I almost tell myself not to come in for awhile.....so..can I hear some good stories???

I was banded exactly one year before you, on the 31st of Jan. It has been 13 months.

BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

The band is GREAT! yes, it took a few fills and a few months, but once I got into that Green Zone, it has been the easiest diet I have ever been on. I don't like calling it a diet, because it is not!

Diets are something I have to work at. Being banded is having a surgical procedure, when adjusted properly, controls my hunger, and controls my portion size.

The only thing left for me to do is make wise food choices, ensure I get my Protein and essential nutrients, and always be drinking Water.< /p>

Excecise also, but after loosing all this weight, excercise is fun! No longer a chore.

I have not had a fill since last May, however, I did go see my surgeon last tuesday. He was very impressed with how I looked and how I am progressing.

After some discussion, he did give me 1/2 cc more. I would not have been dissapointed if he didn't, but we both agreed that we are curiuos to see what happens next.

I have never had a problem with the band. Sure, I have gotten stuck more times that I can remember. But that is all part of the learning curve. You have to learn to live and adjust to the band, Not the other way around.

Yes, I agree with you. There is much negatuivity on this site. People who are successful, living with the band normaly day to day, have no reason to come here. So you do not hear from them and their stories. People I looked to for support are all gone. They quit coming around. They are no longer in need of help or support. Only a few still do if by chance they can impart some wisdom to those willing to listen.

so what you do have here, is mainly made up of people just starting out, still having questions. Many are unhappy because IMO they are primarliy mis-informed and have unreal expectations.

So, like they say, you have to chew the meat and spit out the bones. Never listen to someone who has not experienced something themselves.

There are many people here that will tell you all about being stuck and what you should do...but they hae only been banded a short while and never had that experience themselves. And that's just one example, there are many others.

I'm 10 months post op and definitely not negative about my band! How could I be after losing 55kg? But the biggest thing for me is that I have changed my mindset completely about weight loss. It's now about a healthy lifestyle - for life. I don't diet anymore. I live healthily and I will live for a very long time!

I'm 10 months post op and definitely not negative about my band! How could I be after losing 55kg? But the biggest thing for me is that I have changed my mindset completely about weight loss. It's now about a healthy lifestyle - for life. I don't diet anymore. I live healthily and I will live for a very long time!

Exactly...Thank You!

I was banded exactly one year before you, on the 31st of Jan. It has been 13 months.

BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

The band is GREAT! yes, it took a few fills and a few months, but once I got into that Green Zone, it has been the easiest diet I have ever been on. I don't like calling it a diet, because it is not!

Diets are something I have to work at. Being banded is having a surgical procedure, when adjusted properly, controls my hunger, and controls my portion size.

The only thing left for me to do is make wise food choices, ensure I get my Protein and essential nutrients, and always be drinking Water.< /p>

Excecise also, but after loosing all this weight, excercise is fun! No longer a chore.

I have not had a fill since last May, however, I did go see my surgeon last tuesday. He was very impressed with how I looked and how I am progressing.

After some discussion, he did give me 1/2 cc more. I would not have been dissapointed if he didn't, but we both agreed that we are curiuos to see what happens next.

I have never had a problem with the band. Sure, I have gotten stuck more times that I can remember. But that is all part of the learning curve. You have to learn to live and adjust to the band, Not the other way around.

Yes, I agree with you. There is much negatuivity on this site. People who are successful, living with the band normaly day to day, have no reason to come here. So you do not hear from them and their stories. People I looked to for support are all gone. They quit coming around. They are no longer in need of help or support. Only a few still do if by chance they can impart some wisdom to those willing to listen.

so what you do have here, is mainly made up of people just starting out, still having questions. Many are unhappy because IMO they are primarliy mis-informed and have unreal expectations.

So, like they say, you have to chew the meat and spit out the bones. Never listen to someone who has not experienced something themselves.

There are many people here that will tell you all about being stuck and what you should do...but they hae only been banded a short while and never had that experience themselves. And that's just one example, there are many others.

I just want to take a moment and thank you. Your posts have been encouraging to me and I know others and although I'm only 1 month out and things are going well, I look to banders that have gone before us for support, encouragement, examples and just really wanted to thank you. You've made a difference and hope you continue to stay on this site!

Everyone has a different experience with the band...unfortunately, not all are positive.

Me? I've lost 70 pounds in 11 months. My back and legs don't hurt anymore. My reflux is gone. My cholesterol and triglycerides are normal. My PCOS is under control. I can look at pictures of myself without crying from shame and embarrassment. I'm starting to finally feel comfortable in my own skin.

All of that is worth giving up certain foods, having fills, and occasionally getting stuck. I would have the surgery all over again. Tomorrow, if I had to. Nothing tastes as good as getting your health and self-esteem back feels. Good luck on your journey!

I understand. You have helped me tonight. I just started coming here and I posted a pity party for me. Thank God the responses were fantastic! I read them all and just wanted to read then log off but then I read your thread. I thought why not post when things are going good? I had gained a few pounds and was dreading the weigh-in. They told me to get back up and continue this journey of mine so I did. Guess what? I weighed in and lost 3 lbs! I am in heaven plus I got my 3rd fill. This is the first time I really have felt a fill. I was starting to worry but as of right this moment, I am so happy I had this done, would totally recommend it and wish I would have done this years ago. Had my band on Nov. 4th 2011 and lost 43 lbs so far. Not too bad for doing this right before the holidays!

Elva

Thanks for the post...I've been banded for almost 4 months now. Other than the first week after surgery, it has been a positive experience. I'm steadily losing weight and the band has helped me stay on course for 4 months! However, this is not everyones experience and the problems that you read about are normal for the lapband. I'm glad this site is here, so that people can come and get some answers or opinions about their issues. I try to offer my opinions, where I feel I can help.

I think people tend to post more often when they're struggling, confused, disappointed, upset, etc. than when they're doing fine and out living life, so that tends to skew the view. I've had my band for 4-1/2 years and I'm still feeling positive about it even though Ive had a band slip, a port flip, and now I'm having some issues with my esophagus refusing to do its job. This whole journey has been amazing and the weight loss is just one aspect of that. I've learned so much about myself and my body, made so many new friends, I'm doing things I'd never draemed of before.

Although I'm just 2 weeks out today from having the surgery, I agree with Jean. I am a thyroid Cancer survivor 8 yrs out and was fortunate to find a wonderful and knowledgeable thyroid support group online such as this. I was on there day and night learning all about the disorder and now years' later, I throw an eye in there every so often. I help out if it's something I can relate to, if not, I just keep up with things. There have been times when I've had an issue and I was right back on there looking for an answer or get some grasp of it prior to seeing my doctor.

I'm just grateful for all those who have gone on this journey before me who are still here helping us out with tidbits of their journey whether we can use it or not. From what I see, there's so much positive on here then negative. The glass is half full or for me, 3/4 full!

Jean, I just ordered your book yesterday and can't wait to get it to learn from your journey.

I try to not think about the "negative" posts as being negative, but as people reaching out so they don't struggle in silence. I also like to think of them as a learning experience for me, so that if I ever go down that road, I will remember that it is normal for all of us to have ups and downs.

Aside from that, I am overall very happy with my band. Surgery on January 10 and just had my first fill today. I feel pretty darn good. I am craving healthy foods for once in my life (go fish!) and shopped in the misses section for the first time in 6 years just last week. Have had my negatives, even posted once or twice on here, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Keep your chin up and check out the January 2012 bandsters group. The comments are mostly positive and we are all in the same stage of our journey.

Thank you all for the replies..I was feeling so down for awhile reading all the negative posts..not that everyone was negative..it just seemed like there was more negative than positive to getting the band..and instead of looking forward to what was ahead I started fearing all of the downs that were to come. But so many of you are right..people who dont have issues have no reason to come here..so...I took all of the advice and started reading alot of the success stories and feel so much better. THANK YOU THANK YOU!