Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping For A Fill

Well I'm headed to the doctor tomorrow and I'm hoping for a fill. When I went for my last appointment my doctor refused to fill me since I had put on a few pounds since my last visit in August. I almost feel like he was punishing me since I gained some weight.

I think I will scream if he doesn't give me a fill tomorrow. I have absolutely very little restriction and think that I would start losing again if I had the restriction that I need.

I am prepared with my food journal and exercise log. I am writing down everything I put in my mouth including the butter rum lifesaver that I had 3 days ago even though I only had it my mouth for 30 seconds before getting rid of it.

Has anyone else ever been denied a fill since they had gained instead of losing weight?

That's the craziest thing I have ever heard! I hope you are able to get one tomorrow. I had one yesterday and I had been wanting one since October but she thought I was already full enough. I was surprised too when she told me not to wait another month if this fill still doesn't seem enough! I'm hoping this one works for me! Good luck tomorrow.

How much weight did you gain? I gained a pound in a month and still got a fill.

I have heard that before and it makes absolutley no sense! How are you supposed to loose weight if the band is not functioning properly?

I got my first fill exactly 4 weeks after surgery. Secong fill was 4 weeks after that. Between the first and second fills I GAINED weight. After reading some of the stories here, I was afraid my Dr. would be upset, and not give me that 2nd fill.

First he laughed at me, then said what the heck do you think you're here for? That's why I'm going to give you a fill. If you have lost signicant weight, then you would not need a fill.

Everything is between you and your Dr. For me, I don't understand the logic. If someone can explain to me why you would net get a fill because you gained weight, I would like to hear why!

That makes no sense to me. The band is supposed to help you lose weight, not gain it! Maybe you can ask your doc his logic behind his decision. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

I am in the same boat. I have a appt today. Hoping for a fill as well. Fingers crossed. Update us after your appt.

Crystal

havent recieved a fill yet, but dr did say my first fill will be 6cc. Is that alot???

I'm not sure how much I have in my band currently, but I plan on finding out today. I have a 10cc band and I can tell you I have very little restriction. I had a complete unfill last March because i got sick and was severely dehydrated.

I was going every 4 weeks until August then was told to come in late Dec but couldn't get in until early Jan because of my schedule.

I went in August and didn't get a fill but I was losing at that time. Since then i have put on 7 lbs and needed a tighter fill. Like I said 4 weeks ago he denied me a fill and I have maintained my weight and kept a food journal and exercise log. I go this afternoon and will let you all know the outcome. I have my fingers crossed!

wow, I can't believe he would make you wait 4 months for an appt. My dr likes to see his pt's once a month for the first year. I hope today's appt is a good one for you!

I'm 2 1/2 years out so I normally do not go as after as someone who is newly banded. However until I hit my sweet spot again I'm gonna go every chance I can and hope for a fill until I reach that sweet spot again!

oh, I was thinking you had it done in 2011, so that makes sence. I'm hoping this fill works, or I will go back in 2 weeks for another one. Good luck, let us know what happens.

That is EXTREMELY strange! You should ask your doctor why he/she did that. I had my second fill on Tuesday and he actually didn't want to give me a fill because of the amount of weight I've lost. That's how it's supposed to be. I asked him for one anyway because I wasn't feeling restriction and he agreed to put 1cc in. I would definitely ask your doctor what the point is in the band if he's not going to help you work it. So weird. Let us know how today goes!

If i don't get filled today i plan on asking him why am I coming to see you if I'm not losing weight and you won't give me a fill? I'm also going to ask him how much exactly I have in my band.

I hope I'm just getting all worked up for nothing and he fills me tight. Hopefully I will have good news for you tonight after I get back home!

Ok, I'm back from the doctor. I didn't get a fill. In fact they let out 1cc from my band. Now that I'm home and the doctor, his nurse, and I had a talk I am completely fine with that.

When I went in last time he told me that he thought that I was tight enough I didn't think so anyway I was told to see how I did and come back in 4 weeks.

Today when I did my barium swallow I saw firsthand why he thought I was too tight. I WAS!!! After 25 min the 1 drink of barium was still in my pouch and hadn't really started going through my band. I agreed on 1/2 a cc to come out and it was still tight so together we agreed to 1cc. Appearantly the reason I was hungry all the time is that my food was sitting in my pouch and not getting past the band.In fact I even saw how my esophagus was starting to dialate. I haven't done any harm yet but thank God we figured this out together!!

I am also not to worry about calories (keep them in moderation) but just keep watching portion sizes.I was starving myself watching the calories and trying to hard to diet and exercise. I hope I have more energy now and I will keep up my daily workouts on the elliptical.

I am to call the nurse next Friday to report my progress with her and then go back in 2 weeks.

I really appreciate all of you for letting me rant the last couple of days. Like I said yesterday we will continue on our weight loss journey together!!

I am happy everything worked out for you. After my next fill I will ask my dr for the referall for an up GI. He had mentioned at the support meeting that he ran that he used to always recommend it one year out but then people didn't want to have it done. It would be nice to see if the band is working the way it should. Thanks for the reminder!