Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Stuck Vs Restriction??

Hello All,

I was banded on November 30, 2011 and my first fill is scheduled for January 26, 2012.

If I had any restriction, and I don't know what was actual restriction and what was in my head, I haven't felt it for about 3 weeks and can probably eat as much now as I could before surgery (I try not to! teeth_smile.gif ). If I don't chew well or get distracted, food will get stuck.

So my question is this:- If food (bread mainly) gets stuck, does that mean there is "restriction"? Or, is food getting stuck and "restriction" two separate things?

Thanks everyone for your anticipated responses.

Colin

If food gets stuck then yes you must have some level of "restriction" as obviously without a band this would not have happened.

It does not mean however that you have enough "restriction" or that you are too tight.

food getting stuck is often a result of user error - not chewing properly, too big bites, not waiting between bites etc. You have said that if you don't chew well or get distracted that you get stuck which would seem to indicate it is user error. bread is also a food that many people find difficult to eat once banded as it is doughy and can form a ball or plug that gets stuck.

What you want to aim for with your band( and I am not going to refer to it as restriction as I hate that term because it gives the wrong impression) is that if you eat a meal of the size and type of foods that your Dr has recommended that you should be SATISFIED and NOT HUNGRY for a reasonable length of time afterwards. The length of time varies from person to person and the amount of fill but you would probably be hoping for 3 - 4 hours. You will not feel full in the way you did preband and it is still perfectly possible to have head hunger.Being able to recognise this for what it is and having some method of dealing with it makes a big difference.

HTH

I would have to say that your food is getting stuck. most likely u aren't chewing it enough or eating things you shouldn't be eating such as bread!!!biggrin.png Don't feel bad cuz I am just as guilty! Just remember to chew chew and chew! Good luck!

Everybody who has the band has restriction.

Everybody who has the band, runs the risk of getting stuck because the passage through the band is smaller than without being banded.

It all comes down to what foods we eat, how much we eat with each swallow, how fast we eat, etc.

When someone is tighter than the next person, the rules are the same. Only difference is the amount of food is less, and the types of food change.

Plus it takes less food to feel satisfied.

There is a fine line between being tight and too tight. It is constantly a balancing act for me, always running the risk of making mistakes.

I got stuck today. I had a green salad with small cut up pieces of buffaloe chicken for lunch.

Got stuck, slimed and pb'd in the sink. Rested 10 minutes, then came back and resumed where i left off, finished my salad being more careful and aware of what I did wrong.

I made a mistake, I crossed that line. It happens. It's as simple as that.

I could get a unfil, and that risk would be reduced. But I like it here.

For my past experience with the band I think restriction & getting stuck are two different things. I feel some restriction every day.....meaning I cannot eat what I used to eat.....I must follow the rules and eat slowly and chew carefully with small pieces. I get satisfied easier.....do not eat nearly as much as I used to and I get satisfied with the smaller portions. This I believe is restriction for me. On the other hand getting stuck is a very uncomfortable experience. I have had a few and one was so bad I had to go to the ER. I could not even sip Water and get it down. Had to go on IV drip so I would not dehydrate. It lasted about 18 hours of having to throw up and very uncomfortable feeling in my chest. Happened after eating scrambled eggs with bacon.....guessing it was a piece of bacon that did it. That is not restriction. Restriction is a good thing that we want to have.......getting stuck is not a good thing at all! Just my opinion. CAT

Two different things. For me restriction is I can only eat about a half or 3/4 cup of any food at one time and I feel very full and if I take one or two more bites I am in pain. Sometimes I stilll get stuck but it is from not chewing or eating too fast if I am distracted.

Getting stuck SUCKS.... I am learning the ropes with my body and since my 2nd fill, it seems only mushy food or liquids are all that will go down... maybe I just need to pay better attention at what I am doing...

I really can't say I had an stuck issue I've been banded for abt 3 months and 2 fills I do feel more restriction with this fill but I can still eat bread but I don't once in a while so I am just learning more with. This band I ate hrs ago and still satisfied

I really can't say I had an stuck issue I've been banded for abt 3 months and 2 fills I do feel more restriction with this fill but I can still eat bread but I don't once in a while so I am just learning more with. This band I ate hrs ago and still satisfied

I have had my band deflated, and food would always get hung up.

Imagine a flat tire on a rim. It's there, but it doesn't work right.

Same thing.

When they filled it a little and that locked it in, I got hung up a lot less.

I new to take small bites about the size of a dime, and chew till it was like applesauce.

As long as I would eat that way, I wouldn't get stuck.

Certain foods are just not for me anymore. bread is one of them.

Restriction to me is when I have no desire to eat for about 6-8 hrs., then I eat a small amount

of food, but try to keep my Protein up, and calorie intake down.

That's how I see Restriction.