Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone With Pcos Get Pregnant After Being Banded?

I have PCOS and it is one of the biggest reasons I decided to move forward with lap band surgery. My husband and I would like to start trying about a year from now (we were both banded on 12/19)

If you've experienced getting pregnant after a band, what was your experience like? Did you still have a lot of fertility problems?

I'm just curious for any information. I really appreciate it!

I was told by my dr thats its best to hold off for 2 years after being banded. Although my husband and I also want to try for a another baby sometime in 2012 as well. (i was just banded yesterday). I believe the band will have to be removed. I'm not sure if insurance will pay for this and to have it put back in again.

The band doesn't need to come out for pregnancy. Some doctors will just unfill you so that eating will be easier. Also most of the things that I have seen said that you should wait a year to get pregnant because of the fluctuating hormones from the weight loss but I believe that there have been a few women who have gotten pregnant soon after surgery

A lot of women with PCOS have gotten the lap band specifically to lose weight and get pregnant! there is a smaller section on the website for pregnancy with the lapband and they talk about it a bit there! otherwise, you could also look on pregnancy and baby websites for other bansters with PCOS TTC! Congrats! and good luck!

So, five years ago, I had PCOS and went on metformin to get pregnant with my daughter. It only took three months on the meds to conceive. My periods were always sporadic and never consistent. I have been banded for five months now and have lost almost 40 pounds. For the past three months, I have started my period on the 10th of every month, like clockwork! That hasn't happened since high school!! When I saw my PCP, he said to be very careful unless I am ready for another baby b/c all signs point to me being fertile! I spoke to my gyno about getting pregnant and what I would have to do about the band and he said I wouldn't have to do any adjustments as long as I was taking my prenatal and folic acid. He said the baby gets all the nutrition first and mostly from the Vitamins and the rest is for mommy. He said it is a common misconception that a pregnant woman is eating for two. He said the woman only needs to up her calorie intake the last few months of the pregnancy by 300 calories, which can be achieved by one extra snack. Losing the weight should definitely help you get pregnant, but I agree with the other posters that you should wait a while and let your body get as healthy as possible before you conceive. It will be better for mom and baby!! Good luck and hope all works out for you and all of us!!

Thanks ladies!! We are definitely waiting a year or longer. Our surgeon said to wait at least a year. He explained it's not the end of the world if I were to get pregnant this year, but I would automatically be a high risk pregnancy because there is so much going on. I'm totally ok with waiting. I'm not in a rush, I just wanted to hear some good success stories for inspiration.