Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating More Than I Thought After Lap Band Surgery

I'm in post op day 19 and right now I should be wating no more than 3/4 cup of pureed food. Somehow I can eat more!!! why is this so? :(

Probably because you have little or no restriction until you begin to get fills. I read a guys post on here a few days ago and he said he could eat 3 big pieces of pizza when he was post - op about a month, but once the fills started he was able to eat much much smaller ammounts

Im about 2 months post op and can east alot more than id like, too, with one small fill. I have my next one on 1/9 and hopefully ill have more restriction soon.

Fatboy is right. We're in bandster hell right now. I'm 4 weeks out myself and I can eat the same amount as I could 5 weeks ago(I don't though). I don't eat as much and I do seem to feel fuller but it's obvious that I have virtually no restriction. I recall in support groups and from my pre op seminars that I will only be able to sip 2 ozs at a time. HA! I can down a 10 oz glass of Water just as I did prior to surgery. Hoping my first fill on Jan 5th does the trick but I've read that it could take several fills before I find the right level of restriction for me.

I personally have no problem with the level of restriction I have at this point. I'm not losing and I'm not gaining. Just going sideways over the holidays is a victory for me. Ready to hit it hard in 2012!!

Dan

My doctor never gave me volume instruction. What he did say to me post op was to make sure I was weighing my Protein. So I am a little leary of the 3/4 cup rule. Buy yourself a good digital food scale (walmart/target) and measure out you protein. My doctor says 3 oz some say 4 oz.

After you are banded, you have little to no restriction until you get a fill. It may still take a couple of fills to reach your peak restriction. My surgeon and nutritionist said BEFORE surgery that "you" would probably not lose any weight right after surgery and not to be surprised if "you" gained weight. Their goal for us patients were for us to maintain our weight though. If we lost weight that was awesome. I was banded a little over 2 yrs ago and I remember bandster hell. I had complications and I could not have a fill for over 5 months after surgery! But with dedication, eating right, and working out, I did lose weight.... just very slowly. After my first fill, I dropped weight very quickly. That restriction is wonderful!! It really helps with the dedication! You should be getting your first fill within the next week or two..... and you will feel much better. :)

I could gulp down 24 oz of Water in one swallow up until my fourth fill! Now I have to take small sips throughout the day to get my 64 oz in. Big change for me as I love water and like to swig it down :(

Also, after you get your fills, its fairly easy to "eat around the band". Meaning that there are foods out there that will flow right on through. You just have to be diligent about that you eat and how much. Its a tool, not a fix.

I am only one week post op and I have also found that I can eat ANYTHING that I want. And basically I have. But only a bite.. Like yesterday I had some cornbread dressing. Today I had some salad- just lettuce. I tommorrow I will be back on track and I hope to stick to only what I am suppose to eat!! It is hard when you can eat it.. I have had no problems keeping any thing down.. I do feel full after just a bite or so which is great... I have not overly ate or anything like that but it is sorta like cheating myself. -- Pototoe Soup is my new fav food. I can eat just afew bites of it and I feel so warm in my belly!!

Im 2 weeks Post and I feel like im in bandster Hell.. I feel like im eating 2 much even tho im not eating as much as i could before surgery. I did cheat and eat some bread and that was horrible.. I got pAin in my chest and felt sick so i learned my lesson the very hard way. my first fill is on Feb 8th.. just hang in there

My Dr said to only eat 1/4-1/2 most at a time to form and shape the pouch.

Totally feel the same. I feel like I am eating to much. Even though I have been tracking my calories and intake and still at or below 1100 calories. I am not losing and not gaining so that is a good thing. That is what my doctor told me what would happen. That the first couple weeks after surgery I would lose and then it would slow down. Which is exactly what happen. I am getting my first fill next week and look forward to having more rescriction.

It's good to Hera I'm not a lone in that I can drink tons of Water. I try slowing down with sips but I can drink la ot and fast. As for food... I'm still on full liquids until Tuesday then I go to purée. As for weight loss, I loss most durin preop but have loss appox 4lbs since the surgery.