Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Oz Bad Mouthed Weight Loss Surgery ?

Someone posted over the weekend that her mother saw a Dr Oz show and he bad mouthed weight loss surgery so she told her daughter not to do it. I can't find the post now...don't remember which forum it was under by I commented that I had read an article in prevention magazine where Dr Oz says just the opposite. In the Oct 2011 issue, Dr Oz's article is about demanding better care from your doctor. He covers a number of topics but one of the questions they pose to him is: What health issue do you think can be solved in our lifetime? His answer....Obesity. I really do think we can get ahead of it. It's easier to cure obesity than cancer and it drives most of the heart disease and a good amount of the autoimmune issue we have. I also think gastric bypass surgery will play a big role. We probably do only 1% of the gastric bypass surgeries we should do. The next question was: So you're a proponent? His answer: Yes. Listen, if you're one hundred pounds overweight at age 50, you have the same mortality rate as if you have a solid cancer. Would you operate for cancer? Yeah. So if you cannon lost that weight, get one of these procedures. You have to do it with counseling and full awareness of what you're doing, of course. But if you get people to start losing 5% of their excess body weight, you're really taking a big whack of of the two-thirds of Americans who are overweight or obese right now.

I hope the gal who posted about her mom not supporting lap band because of what Dr Oz says will keep researching, talking to people on this site and make the life saving decision for herself.

Shelley

That poster would be me. it wasn't so much Dr oz himself that made wls look so bad to my mom, it was the way things were presented by the guests. there were some things that were misrepresented, like the amount of food eaten in a day and some of the negative side effects. i don't have a problem with Dr oz in general. i think he tries to present things in a pretty neutral way, but the show didn't seem that way to my mom. i told her about the article you had mentioned, and she was surprised that he was so pro-wls. maybe that helped change her opinion a little, idk.

i personally have already done a lot of research and have pretty much decided that lap band is right for me. i plan on going ahead with or without her support, but things would be much easier with it. i rely on her pretty heavily for support emotionally and also with help at home since my boyfriend is often gone long hours and at odd hours sometimes and because of my medical conditions i really need the help sometimes.

That poster would be me. it wasn't so much Dr oz himself that made wls look so bad to my mom, it was the way things were presented by the guests. there were some things that were misrepresented, like the amount of food eaten in a day and some of the negative side effects. i don't have a problem with Dr oz in general. i think he tries to present things in a pretty neutral way, but the show didn't seem that way to my mom. i told her about the article you had mentioned, and she was surprised that he was so pro-wls. maybe that helped change her opinion a little, idk.

i personally have already done a lot of research and have pretty much decided that lap band is right for me. i plan on going ahead with or without her support, but things would be much easier with it. i rely on her pretty heavily for support emotionally and also with help at home since my boyfriend is often gone long hours and at odd hours sometimes and because of my medical conditions i really need the help sometimes.

sorry for the double post i'm on my phone and it doesn't always cooperate with me lol

You know what is so funny lol...after I read your blog about what your mom said, I spent the entire night looking up youtube videos and posts about the negative effects of wls...one of which with somebody that died, and the persons family member that died is really trying hard to talk people out of getting it...a lot of the comments though were geared toward the person probably not doing what they were supposed to, and that they were a success so they don't know what they are talking about. I am getting mixed signals everywhere I turn.. My mom had gastric bypass over 10 years ago and kept her 100 pounds that she lost OFF..so obviously she is totally % FOR me getting the lap band...because she had complications, and this is safer...shes my biggest supporter..my whole family and boyfriend is. We know people too that had gastric bypass and the lap band done and it didn't work for them at all...they lost some and then gained it back..so I think for some people who aren't all in it, yeah thats exactly why it doesn't work for them...but it doesn't mean I'm not having second thoughts...because I am...even though I'm still doing every single thing I need to do...I'm just one step away...but after reading that blog I just got terrified and then reading all of the other awful things..I think it will be worth it in the long run. I see soo many people on here and all over who have had so much success with it and its changed their lives...so why wouldn't it work for me when I'm % in it, and I've already lost 30 pounds on my own?

I'm sorry if my blog made you worry, Violet. That wasn't my intention.

There are complications with any surgery, no matter how "minor" or "non-invasive," and if you google "x surgery complications" I'm sure there are lots of horror stories, but there are also many many positive experiences that we don't hear about because those people are busy living their lives. Please don't let my blog scare you out of doing something if you feel it's the best thing for you.

I know people who have had gastric bypass and didn't succeed, too. I think it is a combination of restriction from the band, dedication to a healthy lifestyle, and sometimes a bit of luck that causes people to succeed. I think you will do fine because you realize this. You're already doing so well!

I guess the whole point of my blog was just to complain a little about how one television show can influence someone's opinion so strongly.

Why do people put stock in these television grandstanders? They're there to make shows and take ratings! I cant stand freaking Dr Phil or Dr Oz. I wouldnt put any stock in what they said - they're selling a product, themselves and their show and like ALL media, you cant place much faith in it.

Make your own decisions based on your own research.

Why do people put stock in these television grandstanders? They're there to make shows and take ratings! I cant stand freaking Dr Phil or Dr Oz. I wouldnt put any stock in what they said - they're selling a product, themselves and their show and like ALL media, you cant place much faith in it.

Make your own decisions based on your own research.

So very very true !

Oh no need to apologize! Nothing to be sorry for....All your blog did was make me think..and do more and more research and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to do this no matter what and I have faith in myself and that's all that matters.

Its sad though that the show had to make the surgery seem like some horrible thing because of a few patients who had bad experiences. I've had 6th other surgeries with no issues and I know I will be fine....but I think you just need to do some positive research with your mom maybe on the computer together? And let her see all of the success stories on youtube and on here...might make her come around! Obviously shes just worried about you and loves you, so you might need to ease her fears a bit and she'll be rooting for you in no time! :) Good luck :)