Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin And Calcium Question

I'm currently taking 2 chewable Flintstone Vitamins a day and the opurity calcium citrate chewable. I'm getting tired of the chalking chewable after taste. I asked my PA if I could switch to a Gummy Vitamin instead and she said yes. My question is, if I switch to an adult gummy vitamin, can I back it down to one a day instead of 2?

For the Calcium, I can't stand these Opurity chewables. I will finish them, but then I need to find something else. Has anyone had any luck with the Citracal petite pills? They are made small and I would much rather just take a pill instead of chewing my calcium. All of the calcium chews in the stores are carbonate. I would love to find something like the Viactiv chews but have it be citrate instead of carbonate. I liked those....

Hi, I almost bought a bottle of the petites yesterday for post op and probably will in the near future. My surgery is the 2nd of Dec.

Did you do the liquid Calcium immediately post op? At the class last night we tasted several and the only chewable I could stand was the caramels made by Bariactic advantage.

I am thinking of getting a pill crusher and just crushing them in applesauce.

Any thoughts? Sorry I am going around your question and would love to see the answer posted.

As far as the multi Vitamin, I went with Centrum. She said not to use the silver as they do not contain Iron.

All the best,

Melinda

No, I had some Viactiv leftover because my team had originally suggested I take those for Calcium. Then, they changed their suggestion to calcium citrate instead, but told me I could finish the Viactiv's. I used those immediately after surger with no problems. I never took a liquid calcium supplement. I'm am considering buying a bottle of the petities though because I can't afford the calcium chews online. The one I found was Calcet (30 pieces for $13) and you have to take 2 a day. That means 2 packs a month at $26. The Citracal is the same price for 200 pills and you take 4 a day (2 at a time). That will last almost 2 months and can be bought at a store instead of online. Plus, they should be small enough to pass through the band with no problems.

For the multi-Vitamin, I've been looking at the Vitacrave gummies. I would like to get down to one multi-Vitamin A day. I just have to find one with Iron...which shouldn't be too hard.

I use the target brand of the Vitafusion gummies. I take 2 of the adult Multivitamin and 2 of the Calcium chewies. My nutritionist is ok with that. Don't get me wrong, they don't taste like Haribo

Gummy bears, but they're not too bad. The calcium ones are sorta like sour gummies but without the sour taste.

I can't stand chalky tastes or chewing the tablets.

Who do I believe?

I went to my preop and they tell me to increase my multi Vitamin to two a day. Then I went to my anesthesia appt and they tell me no Vitamins all next week. My feeling is mixed; I trust my MD and his staff but I also trust the anesthesia staff because they are putting you to sleep and you want to wake up.

I will clarify this with my surgeon's office tomorrow but I hate getting mixed messages.

I have to get PCP clearance because of a recent infection. The surgeon was a little anxious when I told him I was finishing antibiotics. I do not think it will delay surgery though. PCP was able to see me on Monday.

I wish the Ca Petites could have been opened. I should have bought them yesterday but will go back to WM tomorrow as I have to get Protein drink for Friday.

Any thoughts?

Melinda

Well, i guess if youre going to take teo adults a day just check the fat soluble vitamns in them ( thats a , d, e and k), those are th ones you can od on and hve toxic effects. An d foe those taking childrens Vitamins be aware that they often won cntain a full spectrum of minerals, things like selenium are really important in fighting cancer and are often absent in childrens formulas because they are toxic in excess. Also if you need Iron, ake it separately, its pointless havin it in a multi since an Calcium n the formula ill block its absorption, you should tak iron and your multi hours apart.

Thanks for your advice, Jacqui, I always learn from you! After 2 years, I still find your advice valuable, Karen