Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on Nov 11, 2011

So I arrived at the hospital at 11am to start the check in process. Waited around 15 min and then the pre-op nurse called me back. I seriously thought about running the other direction. But since my 10 yoa was with me I decided I better act like a grown up :). My pre-op nurse was so sweet esp after I accidentally hit the call button in the bathroom (still have no clue how I managed that). Changed into my fashionable gown (went with the over kill version for more coverage) and was given my first job, which was to wipe my stomach with some type of pre-op wipes. The nurse started my IV, gave me something for nausea and then surprised me with the need for a shot of blood thinner in my stomach. Darn that medicine burned could have done without that one. By that point the 10yoa was starting to get upset so I decided to play tic tac toe with him, that helped till the anesthesia team showed up. Those girls where a hoot, answered the same questions at least twice and did the neck and tongue exercise about three times. We had to wait for my surgeon to come in and speak with me and my husband before they could take me back. So the next thing I know I'm being wheeled out, my first impression of a surgical room is darn it was bright and cold. I remember questioning what music my surgeon liked to listen to and then getting strapped down, that was a strange feeling. I'm guessing that they put something in my IV cause I faintly remember the mask going over my face. Next memory is waking up in the recovery room with some guy that was making a real annoying noise, I wished that I could have gotten up and popped him to make him stop. Short time later my recovery nurse wheeled me down the hall to the secondary recovery room. Was doing good till my post-op nurse had me get up and make the trek to the bathroom. Lord my bladder took for ever to go to the bathroom. By the time I got back to my room stomach pain was up there along with the green feeling. Thankful my nurse gave me the Zofran before that nasty liquid loratab for pain. Had to stick around a little longer since I had to little urine., so I got another 500ml. of IV fluids. Day two I feel like someone is setting on my stomach not really hungry and I have learned to go slowly even with applesauce. Well after about the forth dose of pain meds guess who is allergic to her pain meds. Ugh not fair. So I put a call into my surgeon, who called back and asked how did I know I was having a reaction to the pain meds. So I informed him that I have hives and was itching all over. So I have used oral children's Tylenol doesn't quite cut if for pain but oh well. So I still have a ton of gas and feel like something is just setting there on my stomach so I'm curious what day three will hold for me.

You will be feeling better each day! Good luck on your journey!

In a few weeks this part will be a dim memory. You are on your way to a new you and that is the best thing ever. It took me until about day 5 to start really feeling better, but once I got there, the recovery was rapid. Good luck to you.

Thanks ladies was feeling much better by day 5 too much better made the mistake of trying an egg noddle to see if it was cooked. Needless to say it didn't stay down oh well. I'm going to try going to work tomorrow, hope I can make it a full day.

BlkBlt Mom

I was banded 11/11 as well, it was also my birthday. I am going to try to go to work tomorrow as well, hope I make it there. I dont know whats going on, I quit the pain meds on Sat because they made me feel awful controlled my pain but they made me feel nauseous and just overall crappy, however, I wore contacts before and glasses when not wearing them but my vision seems worst thats crazy. Still have some tightness in chest but thats bearable the worst thing is occasional weak shaky feeling which iam thinking is low blood sugar, going to.try adding more juice and fruit and see what happens.