Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks Post Lap Band Surgery And A Margarita???

I think it would be fine. If you are feeling good then have a freakin margarita! Just count the calories. I had a glass of red wine on monday, im two weeks post op, and it did not hot me any faster than before I was banded. Have fun. :)

Just an FYI.. I love Margaritas but they have a huge amount of calories... like 200-400. The skinny girl margarita's taste horrible in my opinion... But the Jose Cuervo 90 calorie ones are pretty decent over crushed ice with some Water.

That said... being a few weeks into your journey is the concern here for me. Not a cocktail. To be successful you need to stay focused on the goal and stick with a good eating plan. Alcohol isnt part of a good eating plan in this stage of your journey no matter how you try to justify it.... 6 months from now I am all about indulging one in a while...but for now it would be my advice to drink Water from a pretty glass and feel better about yourself for displaying the willpower that you are going to need every single day to be successfull.

I am not a Dr or RN... so I dont know what medical reasons there would be not to drink.... I am just giving you my first hand opinion about choices. And I should know. I spent ALL of the holiday season last year on liquids. I started my pre op liquid the day before T-giving and had my first mushy food on New Years Day. I attended 4 holiday parties, a company dinner and cooked for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I found will power I didnt know I had. I hope you can too.

Just an FYI.. I love Margaritas but they have a huge amount of calories... like 200-400. The skinny girl margarita's taste horrible in my opinion... But the Jose Cuervo 90 calorie ones are pretty decent over crushed ice with some Water.

That said... being a few weeks into your journey is the concern here for me. Not a cocktail. To be successful you need to stay focused on the goal and stick with a good eating plan. Alcohol isnt part of a good eating plan in this stage of your journey no matter how you try to justify it.... 6 months from now I am all about indulging one in a while...but for now it would be my advice to drink Water from a pretty glass and feel better about yourself for displaying the willpower that you are going to need every single day to be successfull.

I am not a Dr or RN... so I dont know what medical reasons there would be not to drink.... I am just giving you my first hand opinion about choices. And I should know. I spent ALL of the holiday season last year on liquids. I started my pre op liquid the day before T-giving and had my first mushy food on New Years Day. I attended 4 holiday parties, a company dinner and cooked for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I found will power I didnt know I had. I hope you can too.

Honestly this is not about will power. Like I've said many times, I am not a drinker so i rarely have them. I am not following any plan. So I can't go off plan. My pre-op instructions are a different issue. I can start mushies on Friday. I don't know anything about alcohol other than never drink it ever again. Well that's dumb. I am not on another diet that limits certain foods. I have a new way of life. I know not everyone uses the band that way, but I do and it works. At least do far. If it works and I lose weight, get my Protein in and eat healthy, what does it matter. I don't understand alot of thR advice I am getting in here. It honestly sounds like alot of you are on diets. If I could follow a diet I wouldn't have gotten the band. I can however follow instructions and eat small amounts and be totally satisfied. Why would anyone be worried about my ability to stay with this. Stay with what? I am eating small amounts and less than 1200 calories a day. Sounds like I'm doing pretty great.

I don't know the medical science behind the drinking and the band- but my surgeon's post-op instructions stated no alcohol until 6-8 weeks after banding (then all the usual caveats about calories etc.). I held out until the 4th week after surgery and was fine. I am a big social drinker (weekends only) and light beer was my favorite. I quit all carbonation on the pre-op diet - so I don't drink light beer anymore. Instead, i do a shot of clearl liquor (lowest calories) usually absolute vodka - then fill the rest of the glass with ice and Water. I then add in crystal light or equivalent. I can drink 4-5 of those during the night - same buzz as before the band (i've noticed no difference) and never sick etc. I'm like you - i count in the calories and i continue to steadily lose weight. I can't tell you what will happen if you try any alcohol in the 2nd week - you may want to check other threads on here - as i'm sure it's been discussed. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US IN OUR JOURNEYS!:P

I don't know the medical science behind the drinking and the band- but my surgeon's post-op instructions stated no alcohol until 6-8 weeks after banding (then all the usual caveats about calories etc.). I held out until the 4th week after surgery and was fine. I am a big social drinker (weekends only) and light beer was my favorite. I quit all carbonation on the pre-op diet - so I don't drink light beer anymore. Instead, i do a shot of clearl liquor (lowest calories) usually absolute vodka - then fill the rest of the glass with ice and Water. I then add in crystal light or equivalent. I can drink 4-5 of those during the night - same buzz as before the band (i've noticed no difference) and never sick etc. I'm like you - i count in the calories and i continue to steadily lose weight. I can't tell you what will happen if you try any alcohol in the 2nd week - you may want to check other threads on here - as i'm sure it's been discussed. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US IN OUR JOURNEYS!:P

Maybe I should follow your pre-op instructions! Lol

Sounds like I'm doing pretty great.

Well then drink up! B)

As you will find on this forum... everyone has their own thing that works for them. Congrats on finding yours! Best of luck to you!

Well then drink up! B)

As you will find on this forum... everyone has their own thing that works for them. Congrats on finding yours! Best of luck to you!

I think I've decided on a sip. I can't do much of anything anyways do who am I kidding, I could even drink half.

I think I've decided on a sip. I can't do much of anything anyways do who am I kidding, I could even drink half.

You may find this amusing.... we were in Jamaica a few weeks ago... and I went into Margaritaville in Ocho Rios with the full intent of drinking a real authentic Margarita for the first time since last November! I ordered it... and it tasted amazing... calories and all... but it took me almost an hour to finish it... and I had a buzz off that one little drink which rivaled nothing I ever experienced.... It was quite funny according to my husband...

So now I am back to ordering a glass of whie if I get the urge every so often and sipping on it until its warm... then adding ice. I am good for the night. LOL

You may find this amusing.... we were in Jamaica a few weeks ago... and I went into Margaritaville in Ocho Rios with the full intent of drinking a real authentic Margarita for the first time since last November! I ordered it... and it tasted amazing... calories and all... but it took me almost an hour to finish it... and I had a buzz off that one little drink which rivaled nothing I ever experienced.... It was quite funny according to my husband...

So now I am back to ordering a glass of whie if I get the urge every so often and sipping on it until its warm... then adding ice. I am good for the night. LOL

I just can't drink alot in one sitting and I havent even gotten a fill! It's super crazy. That's what I love most about this. I can really only have a bite of something and am completely satisfied. Love it! Although my menu definitely isn't much, when creamy Soups fill you up, you know it's going to be awesome!

But how is that sabotaging? I am not going to NEVER drink again. That's not why I got the band. I can factor it into my daily allotment. I don't get that argument.

How can I follow their instructions? They told me to never drink it ever again because of the calories. Well I am not going to NEVER going to put empty calories in my body. That's not even realistic. But I can be smart about it.

My question was about just being post-op and it being ok with my healing.

A close friend of mine was banded and had a drink at a birthday party. She was 3wks out and was just fine. It is about being sensible.

Alcohol will hit your system much quicker since you don't have as much food in there to soak it up and even the ice will take up space. If you are still taking any kind of pain killers it should be a no- no and you may want to wait a long while at the party to see how the alcohol affects you before getting behind the wheel, or the best option would be get a designated driver until you know how long it takes the alcohol to process out of your system. If you get hammered on one drink then you may forget to control your self around all of the other goodies, so that would be a reason to think about the drink.

But overall I agree with you count your calories and use your common sense. You can't stop living because you are banded, you just have to make common sense accommodations.

what's the point of asking for advice then?? really does it matter... everyone is going to have an opinion.. everybody has a different diet plan... everybody is doing things their OWN WAY... i think regardless of some handy dandy guide the dr's offices hand out... try it like you said and if you can stomach it drink it.. your grown people will be opinionated as much as you ask them to its up to you whether or not to follow it in the mean time take the info and go with it and make up your mind instead of finding someone to justify what your wanting... does that make sense??

what's the point of asking for advice then?? really does it matter... everyone is going to have an opinion.. everybody has a different diet plan... everybody is doing things their OWN WAY... i think regardless of some handy dandy guide the dr's offices hand out... try it like you said and if you can stomach it drink it.. your grown people will be opinionated as much as you ask them to its up to you whether or not to follow it in the mean time take the info and go with it and make up your mind instead of finding someone to justify what your wanting... does that make sense??

Personally it really helped me to ask. I didn't know that it could affect your differently being banded so I learned quite a bit. Plus it's interesting seeing what other doctors recommend. :)

I was banded the same day you were. I feel like I am doing very well so far. If I were in your situation, I would pass on the margarita because you are still healing. Alcohol isn't the most tummy friendly drink. Also, margaritas have a lot of lime juice and any citrus juice is quite acidic. I would be concerned that a margarita may cause acid reflux issues.

Good luck and have a good time at the party.

PLEASE DRINK. I went to my company holiday party two weeks post op and was doing shots of vodka, felt great. Don't sweat it. Don't buy into all of these post about CALORIES and such , just enjoy everything you can. A few drinks will not hurt. And if your stomach starts hurting (it may) just stop.

there you go!!! banditarian said it well..... you won't know how much of one thing you can tolerate until you try it so then if it comes up again you will know whether or not it's something you can do.. most importantly when all else fails listen to your newly banded self...