Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Backed Out Of My Lap Band Surgery!

I just want to say thank you to ALL of you for your post. It has really made me do some more thinking. (i dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing lol) I just need to decide what is best for me. I honetly know that WLS will probably end up being the only way for me because i am not dedicated enough to go out and do hours of exercise and strict dieting. just need to make up my mind. thank you all again for the inspiring words.!!

I am going to tell you that while I have had really solid success with the band thus far.... it wasnt without strict dieting. I have counted every calorie which has passed through my lips since baing banded. I think it is a misconception to think bandsters can eat anything we want...just a little bit of it and lose weight. Maintain yes... lose? Not in my experience. So... before you decide please make sure you are committed to do 30% of the work...because the band will only do 70%. It is a tool.... Like a screw to a screwdriver. The screw hold the wood together and keeps it in place...but you cant get the screw in the wood without a tool.... You are the screwdriver.

Good luck with your decision.

I just thought I would let all of you nice people know that I am back in action. I cancelled my surgery last week as all of you may know but after saying many prayers I woke up on Saturday and realized I had made a terrible mistake. So on Monday I called to see if I could have my surgery date back and I was very lucky that they still had an open spot for me. This time my mind set and thinking is completely different about the whole process. I am so happy all of you helped me think clearly. So my surgery is approximately 38 hours away! I am stoked to start my new life!

Congratulations ! ! ! I'm glad you came to peace with yourself.... It will also make thins easier for you, because you are ready for this.

Again,,, Congrats ! You will be a October Bandster, and were a good bunch I think...

Shirley.

The main thing about the lap band is that YOU have to be ready!!! Do not get the band if you are not mentally ready!! No worries about cancelling I am sure it happens all the time. You can always reschedule in a month, 6 months, 1 year when you are in the right frame of mind and did enough research to ease your mind.

Do not feel like you gave up or anything, getter done when you are 100% sure! That will help you get 100% of the results you want/need!!

Congratulations ! ! ! I'm glad you came to peace with yourself.... It will also make thins easier for you, because you are ready for this.

Again,,, Congrats ! You will be a October Bandster, and were a good bunch I think...

Shirley.

LOL Thins on the mind...

BTW congrats on your decision...keeps us posted on how you do afterwards. I curious to see what your feeling about the Lapband is afterwards...You can help some of us Unbanded Newbies out :)

Just thinking about you and wondering how you are doing? Hope all is well :)

I really didn't think that I'd be able to eat slow either but I've actually been doing it and I do it with a baby spoon. I too thought about all the what if's, but I'm so unhealthy, can't play with my kids, and can't enjoy my life. I had my surgery 10/19/11 and even though I still hurt (had a hiatal hernia repair too), I think I made the best decision of my life.

I'm very Glad for you...

I hope you are coming along a little better.

Take Care, Shirley.

I am just starting the process, my 1st appt is 12/1. Let me tell you why I am doing this. Aside from the fact that I have had a food problem nearly all my life. My hubby was told 8 years ago he should have ANY weight loss surgery or be dead in 5 years, 2 different doctors told him this. He loved eating, I'd have to say he loved me, but am sure my cooking ability had a little something to do with it. lol (I can laugh at that now)

My beloved hubby died just 5 years & 2 months to the day that he was told he would. I have never been so lonely and I do not want to hear the same words, although I know that they are coming.

Now, you say you are a fast eater & love Pasta? Are we related? My 1st husband used to say I eat "wide open" (he was a racing enthusiast) God how I hated hearing that, but you know, I was always the 1st done and heading for 2nds. Wish I could tell you how many times I heard "slow down, nobodies going to take the plate away from you". Sound familiar? Next Pasta. I have joked that 1 thigh is made of pasta the other chocolate. I've been known to eat leftover pasta for breakfast!

I have sleep apnea & type II diabetes,(plus more) both which started within the last 100 pounds (I have 200 I should lose). My hubby had both those, again, I KNOW the words are coming.

Why have I waited? I had no insurance the last 5 years, relying on county medical help. They don't do weight loss surgery, although they would saved thousands if they did. They put out all those meds, etc. Dec 1st, I will have Medicare through Secure Horizons Medicare Advantage. I have been dreaming of this day since I was told 2 years that I would be covered on this date. 2 years! I've read these blogs, read up on doctors, ( hey I've had 2 years to read it all). I feel I'm an expert some days.

Am I scared? Hell yes!!!! I'm afraid of surgery, afraid of complications, afraid of being thin to be totally honest. I've never been thin!! What if I don't like who I am or what I look like!?!?! All this scares me, but what scares me most of all is the words, you'll be gone in 5 years if...........................

PS: Surely throwing up or gas pains a couple times certainly will teach me to slow down! Ok, pasta may be limited to 1/2 cup (if that) but if we're not hungry we should be fine. You might want to focus on enjoying your family & friends at get togethers rather than the food that is served. Just a thought.

Very good luck with your choices, only you can make them, You just need to figure out WHAT you're really are scared of. Funny thing in writing this, I think I just realized the biggest thing I am afraid of, seeing someone I don't know or like in the mirror! hmmmmm something more for me to think about.

God bless and peaceful soul searching,

Rhonda

OMG

That is so sad, my heart goes out to you. I wish you every success in your journey, I am just sorry that you have been made to wait so long particularly considering the circumstances.

All the best.

Lynn

mztmom, the "What if" game is a major mental "slippery slope". What if you get into a car accident today? What if you have a heart attack? What if a rock falls from space and hits you in the head? What if you get shot by a rouge bullet? What if, what if, what if.... Sometimes it's good to do research, sometimes it's not. When you read "reports" be assured that the stats they are using or quoting are stacked in their favor. If the article is against banding... it's going to show all the evidence of how horrible it is. If it's for banding, it will show all the positives. The fact of the matter is, every time the skin is broken, there are risks. What happens if your appendix needs to come out? You'll have no choice with that, and that is more invasive than the banding process.

You have to weigh out the risks you face right now, check the stats on those. Check out the stats on every single medical issue you face right now, I would be willing to bet you are at a much higher risk of medical issues right now than you will be years from now after being banded.

It sounds like you are a selfpay. Understand that, in the future, if there is a medical need to remove the band, insurance will cover the removal, regardless if you were a selfpay or not. They legally can't just let you have an medical situation and not do anything about it. Doesn't matter if you paid for the band, if you went overseas, to Mexico, or had insurance pay for it. They will be required to handle the situation when / if it happens, they won't pay for a reinstall but at least you'll have the issue repaired.

I know that everyone has different situations, and being afraid isn't a bad thing, and I don't know what your medical issues are, but in my opinion, you might have made a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill.

I am O So Sorry ! for your LOSS ! We here (I would say !) are trying to get Healthy too.

Each day ia always different ! You will look in the Mirror and see No change, then one day you start to see your face thin down, or some other part of your body.

It can be a emotional Roller Coaster Ride, but it's well worth it.....

I too had to wait until Medicare Kicked in to get my self straightened out this year.

So I know, how Happy you are, as far as finally getting care...

I wish you Good Health ! With your Fantastic Attitude about the help in WLS, I know you will get where you want .

I know it's scary ! Thin, Medium, Fat, Whatever ? Will I like what I see, Or can I deal with this ?

I think you can,,,,, I always say take it 1 day at a time ! Every day is a New Day with the Band !

What I am saying is because it is a slow go, (1 day at a time....) you get the chance to adapt to any and all changes that slowly happen. So you can adjust with the loss. It's not a Major Shock !

PM me if you want, and I will answer anything I can. (Only if I can !)

Talk to you soon, Shirley.

I just thought I would let all of you nice people know that I am back in action. I cancelled my surgery last week as all of you may know but after saying many prayers I woke up on Saturday and realized I had made a terrible mistake. So on Monday I called to see if I could have my surgery date back and I was very lucky that they still had an open spot for me. This time my mind set and thinking is completely different about the whole process. I am so happy all of you helped me think clearly. So my surgery is approximately 38 hours away! I am stoked to start my new life!

Sorry I missed this before my comment,

I'm glad to see that you "came around". Hope all is well, please keep us updated.

Stay Strong!

Having been banded a long time ago I know the band is not a cure and it is not as simple as it is often made out to be. I also know if you think you will fail you are setting yourself up to and YOU (nor anyone else) deserves that. You have to treat yourself well and always do it. Not just for the first year. I am starting all over and doing it without fills or anything else. I was a size 7 almost a 5 and I could not seem to gain a pound no matter what I did.

I was not trying to gain please don't think I was. I happened to have depressing life stuff happen and I put my life and my band in jeopardy. Now I am starting over without the band really. It is there but I have not had a fill since 6 months after getting banded.

If I could offer you any advice it is this. If you can do it without you can do it with. Put yourself on a liquid diet for a week and see how you do?

I truly believe a huge part of what keeps our weight down is us going back to the liquid diet after a stick or a PB or whatever? Then training ourselves to eat correctly cause to be quite frank "that **** hurts"!

I taught myself to eat around the band. Why cause even with it we are food addicts. You could break your jaw everytime you left a buffet and get similar results.

The band is obviously a much easier choice. But you have to stay on track. Not just move on from support ect when you lose the weight. I lost so fast I forgot where I came from. I went from 250 to 158 in probably under 8 months. It was crazy.

It is a tool I am thankful but regretful I have:( I am not sure after eating around it and almost losing it I will ever be able to eat normally again? Even band type normal.

As for those who say (doctors included) that the band gives no restriction without a fill. I do not believe that at all. I have never been able since the thing was put on to eat normally. I have not had a fill in almost or maybe 6 years and I still can not? Everyone is different! But we here are all similar enough to teach each other something?

Not trying to scare you! It is a wonderful tool. But it will not work if not cared for.

I, too, have been banded 3 years this christmas. I NEVER had a fill and have restriction from day one. I lost 90 pounds inthe first year and have been somewhat vigilant on keeping it off. Last christmas I gained 5-7 pds, keeping going up and down the same pounds and cannot get it off. I need to get back on track and get it off now before it goes any further. The band got me healthy and I want to stay there. I am off all meds and love life. I am still in my size 10 pants but a little snug and need to get on the program again. This was the right decision for me but like everybody said, it is something you need to decide for yourself. I taste anything I want but I have strict rules, no bread, sugar and very little Pasta if any. I do occasionally like rice but need sauce to get it down. I still have trouble sometimes with too big of a bite and or eating too fast. I don't know if I will ever learn to slow down, but I constantly try and that is what matters at the endof the day. Good luck and remember, only you can decide what you can live with.

sparkplug I would say that it is probably time for you to get a fill. Your body has obviously come to the end of what it can do without one and now seems to need that little bit of additional help.

I'm very Glad for you...

I hope you are coming along a little better.

Take Care, Shirley.

Thank you Shirley! I feel so much better and I'm 14 lbs. lighter so my back hasn't hurt me.