Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To answer a question you have, yes, I am happy I have the lapband and I wish I had gotten it years ago. However, it took me a long time and a lot of thought to get to the place of actually having WLS. I weighed pros and cons and decided that the pros were more important to me than the cons. Perhaps you need to think about this a bit more and continue to investigate and weigh what is really more important to you, losing weight or food. And one thing I will underline from some posters above, you will have health problems due to your weight eventually. It happens to us all.

I have been lurking on the LapBandTalk website since my first Dr.'s appt. in February, and I never posted to the board until now after watching your video. First of all, I am embarrased by some of the comments made by a few of our feelow supporters. Shame on B-52 for saying that you still enjoy being obese. I dont know many obese people who enjoy being that way. It has just become their way of life, and that is their security. It sounds like the emotional eating is going to be the biggest challenge for you. I thought about weight loss surgery for the last 4 years before finally deciding to go through with it. I am being banded on Friday, October 21st.

Here is a piece of advice that was given to me from my doctor that I think might help you with regard to your fears about the emotional eating. When you find yourself being unable to stomache the things that you used to enjoy, they no longer are enjoyable for you. So, the crab legs and cheesecake (or for me it was steak and bread) will not feel too good going down. And it could very well come back up. Eventually, after you have thrown up one too many times after eating your "favorite foods" they not longer are part of your favorite food repertoire anymore. You learn new ways of eating. That's part of the beauty of this process.

The band helps out with the physical part, but nthe emotional mental part is hard. You need to remind yourself everyday that this is a choice you are making, and think of the reasons why you are doing it. For nearly all of us (if not all) those reasons are so overwhelming, that we dont need reminding on a daily basis. Eventually, you get past the emotional and social barricades. You can still go out on dates. You can still go to restaurants. Make a lot of conversation over your meal. You will find that you eat slower and then no one will know that you have had weight loss surgery :-) It CAN be done if you really want it. But if you are searching for reasons to avoid the surgery (like I did for the past 3 years, 8 months) then you aren't ready just yet. You will know when you're ready. Best of luck to you!

Hi....

Just viewed your video. Smart woman wanting answers. I had lap band in March, 2009. Immediately dropped 46 pounds, but plateaued after my first fill. At this point, I have gained several of my pounds back....aggravating and annoying.

Lap band is nothing more than a TOOL. When they band you, they do surgery on your stomach, not your brain. Your emotional eating is still going to plague you and...consider this...with lap band you don't give up any foods. Yes, you can eat everything after you recover from surgery. However, that's a very crucial thought! All the 'bad' foods go down fairly easy and stay!

In all honesty, if I could back track and do over....the Sleeve would be my choice. It's not as radical as bypass, but I think for me, it would have worked far better. You are just in going through the mental hunt prior to doing this. Just remember...quality of life is what your seeking in the future and for now, 100 pounds gone so you can participate in life. I have a friend who did the sleeve...lost her weight has kept it off...no extra effort in exercise or anything.

I have a cousin/male...was severe diabetic and many other health issues plagued him. He had bypass and never looked back. No more health issues, runs marathons and loves life! It saved his life...he is 60.

My health issues did subside...hypertension, diabetes type II, etc...I strongly urge you to consider the sleeve...it's between the other two...if this important to you...toss all the fear and move forward. We all need to do something 'special' for ourselves! Make yourself special and go for it! You will be glad you did!

Pat

I made a video for you post ops, my questions are real and I'd like real answers from you before I do this.... watch it here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m8EF33bGXrY

I think you need to watch your own video carefully. You will here yourself talk about food, eating, cooking for you. I believe you have a food Addiction.

Not to fear.... I have one too.

The band makes it possible to cut your appetite, so you won't want to eat all kinds of stuff.

Depression,, that comes from being overweight. So yep you were right about the weight. It throws your Hormones out of whack, so everyone in one way or another gets Depressed. When you lose weight, you lose the Depression.

Alter your Digestive system, or shut it down ? You have the wrong surgery mixed up with the band. That does not happen with the band.

You will eat at least 3 x a day, probably some Snacks, but it will be Healthy Food, not the stuff that you love to eat that got you where your at.

Somethings will be altered, and some things are in Portion Control. Either way you will be satisfied. But that comes in time ! First you have to have enough adjustments, then the band kicks in and takes the edge off of eating. Until then,,, you will learn control on your own, like we all did...

Does it work ? I would say YES! I was 356, and last time weighed I was 241. I'll see next week when I get weighed again. But yep it keeps coming off

as long as I watch what I eat, count calories and Protein, 800-1200 calories daily, and work out 3 x a week. So I don't kill myself, or burn out.

Weight Gain yep I gained it almost all back, this is my second time around.. Surgeon deflated me by thinking he blew the band. Well he was wrong.

He overfilled me, and that was all. But he deflated me, and it took time to get another surgeon to look at it, and see that there was nothing wrong, then he filled the Band.This was a surgeons mistake that was fixed with a fill. THIS IS NOT A COMMON THING.

The weight Loss on the Ticker is from January only. Actual weight loss is 115Lbs. So yep I know it's possible. This is not sugar coated either !

Shirley.

I have been lurking on the LapBandTalk website since my first Dr.'s appt. in February, and I never posted to the board until now after watching your video. First of all, I am embarrased by some of the comments made by a few of our feelow supporters. Shame on B-52 for saying that you still enjoy being obese. I dont know many obese people who enjoy being that way. It has just become their way of life, and that is their security. It sounds like the emotional eating is going to be the biggest challenge for you. I thought about weight loss surgery for the last 4 years before finally deciding to go through with it. I am being banded on Friday, October 21st.

Here is a piece of advice that was given to me from my doctor that I think might help you with regard to your fears about the emotional eating. When you find yourself being unable to stomache the things that you used to enjoy, they no longer are enjoyable for you. So, the crab legs and cheesecake (or for me it was steak and bread) will not feel too good going down. And it could very well come back up. Eventually, after you have thrown up one too many times after eating your "favorite foods" they not longer are part of your favorite food repertoire anymore. You learn new ways of eating. That's part of the beauty of this process.

The band helps out with the physical part, but nthe emotional mental part is hard. You need to remind yourself everyday that this is a choice you are making, and think of the reasons why you are doing it. For nearly all of us (if not all) those reasons are so overwhelming, that we dont need reminding on a daily basis. Eventually, you get past the emotional and social barricades. You can still go out on dates. You can still go to restaurants. Make a lot of conversation over your meal. You will find that you eat slower and then no one will know that you have had weight loss surgery :-) It CAN be done if you really want it. But if you are searching for reasons to avoid the surgery (like I did for the past 3 years, 8 months) then you aren't ready just yet. You will know when you're ready. Best of luck to you!

That's Ok, but you missed my point entirely!!

I have been Obese for many, many years and have become so sick and tired of it that there was very little question whether I would get the band or not. My love for food certainly was not going to get in my way of a better life.

When I had pre op Physch. eval., after the session was over, one thing she said they look for is whether there is any resolve in your decision, or any uncertainty.

So, tongue in cheek, if you are happy being obese, don't get the surgery. BUT if you are fed up being fat, like me, then there is really not much I'm going to miss being thin.

This will give you a chance to have a life. You have seen the pics yourself. There are some Beautiful Bodacious Babes on here !

It worked for them, it can work for you.... BUT,,,,,,, you have to be devoted to losing weight ! Consistency is the Key !

It can be complicated at first, but once you get the hang of the Tricks too, you will see how easy it gets. But be patient. this is a slow go, and it takes time.

Personally I chose the band after going to a seminar, and hearing the Surgeon explain that for BY Pass they alter your insides, throw out 20' of intestines into Toxic Waste, there is NO ! going back, and Dumping, and Complications can be endless.

So I chose the band, because it is forever under the maintenance of your surgeon. Something goes wrong, they can fix it. Unless their is Erosion or you want it out. But even slippage ! These people have surgery to fix it, and keep going.

Bypass: it's up to you. If you regain weight. My surgeon told me that he would be telling me "O well ! I did my job ! Are you doing yours" and that's it......

The sleeve is nice, but again, they cut your stomach up, and the Hunger Hormone grows back in a couple of years. So your Hungry again.

I would try the band, and if I wanted more, then add the sleeve, or change to it, or you will see that it works for you.

I wish you luck on your research. This October 31st. I will be banded 6 years. So I know it works. You have to learn how to work this tool, and it will come off.

Do your research, and decide if you are ready for a New Life. If So Go to a Seminar at a Center of Excellence in Bariatrics. Listen to the difference. then decide.

I'm sure you will go far. Your very Pretty, and you know it. So if you want that knock out Body to fit the Vanity you speak of,,,,, it's all doable..

Shirley. ;)