Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't stop binge-ing

Have any of you been bingers (if that's how it's spelled):eek: before your surgery? Can you binge now?

I can't stop binging right now, I am under tremendous stress, and I know I shouldn't eat, and I tell myself not to eat, but I just do. I don't know why, it's like I can't get enough. Like this morning I had pupusa (like a flat tamale) with the salsa and everything and I had a can of coke-which I hardly ever have, then an hour later a coworker brought in 5 different kinds of pie, and I am not hungry, but I went ahead and ate the two slices of pie along with four oreo Cookies, I can't stop. :hungry:

Also, I went and bought another can of soda( very bad) I never drink soda, but when I binge I go for soda, knowing it's bad for me.

Can anyone tell me what is happening, this is why I can't wait to be banded, so that this will stop.

My appointment to see the Dr. is on the 16th. When the DR. knows you binge, does that stop you from becoming a candidate for surgery?

I don't know why I am hurting myself like I am, and I don't want anyone to see how much I am eating because I am embarrased, I know my coworkers always talk about it.

ROZIROZE

the bingeing does not always stop you from being a surgical candidate but it is something that the docs are interested in. i can tell you that the surgery does not really keep you from wanting to binge. in the first few weeks/months after the surgery, i was able to eat pretty much whatever i wanted because i only recently got anything near restriction. plus i drink a lot socially, and the band helps 0% with that. so that was very difficult for me.

i didn't have any will power and i didn't lose any weight between november and january. and it was really distressing. so basically what i'm saying is that the weightloss is part your body part your head. if you binge with soda, the band isn't going to help with that. so the band might not be the best answer for you. rny might be a better choice b/c the dumping will make you think twice before you go for the fizzy sweet stuff. so even though the doctor will probably consider you a candidate, you should think about how you eat very seriously before committing to the band.

thanks for your reply, this has just happened to me recently. I am just really stressed out, and I guess I look for food as my comfort. I never drink soda, and I guess I am just craving alot of the sugar.

I would not even consider RNY as an option. I am really against that. When come time of the month for me, I just want to eat, it is that time now, and to top it all off, I am not starting, which is stressing me out horribly because I don't want to be pregnant. This is the reason for my binging. :eek:

I think the lap band would be perfect for me as it will restrict my eating for a while and then I will get used to it. That is how it was for me before, I started my diet, it was hard, and then I got used to eating like that and lost over 120 pounds.

I don't know, I am just confused right now:confused: . I just really hope that I will be a candidate for Lapband. I am at my heaviest right now and I cannot deal with dieting again, as I have tried time and time again and failed. Like I mentioned, I lost all that weight and gained it all back and then some:faint:

thanks...rozirozee

My surgical group had me go to a psychologist for a while to get a handle on the binging. I don’t know that I’m ”cured” of it, but my therapist thought I was ready and all it took was a note from her. So, good luck to you!

HI RoZiroZee, I too was a compulsive binger, in fact a proper food addict. Like an alcoholic hides drink, so i would hide food. Sometimes i would forget and come across some cake or other goodies in the most strange places! You have to work hard at getting your head straight or the band won't work. It is only an aid and you still have to follow a healthy eating plan. Fizzy soda, whether sugary, or sugarless, are a no-go, because they are dangerous for anyone with a band. I was 276lbs(english pounds) Last August 2nd and I'm now 174 lbs. Believe me, my eating was really out of control. I ate if I was miserable, through depression, if I was happy I ate, most of all i enjoyed planning binges. Now my biggest battle is trying not to pick at the food that I cook for the family. I cant eat it because I'm on a liquid only week since my 2nd fill. Good Luck, but don't forget, the hader you work at it, the luckier you will be! Anne

thanks for your advice, what I meant about hiding the food was I don't want anyone to see me eating that is why I will go to my desk and eat where I am hidden from people. This is new to me I don't know why I am doing this. I don't know whether my hormones are off the wall or if it's from my seizure medicine, or whether I can be pregnant or not, I am not starting my period:angry . Right now I feel horrible that I ate that much, I was telling my Husband what is going on and he is shocked. He tells me to be careful, and try to see if I can get in sooner to see my Dr.

I am very frustrated right now and I think I took out my frustration on myself trying to comfort myself. Thank you all for your help. I hope this is a phase that I am going through and this will end soon, today was a bad day for me. I probably ate a good 2500 calories. All bad. I should just hit myself.:think :think

thanks for your support:faint:

his is why I can't wait to be banded, so that this will stop.

Please do not take offense to this but the band will not stop you from binging..you can eat right through and right past the band with certain foods..all the junk food goes down easy not matter how much restriction you have Cookies, chips chocolate ice cream go down with no problem. I would take this time to try and figure out why you binge..if you do not eat the right foods the band will not work, there are certain foods the band never restricts..

I have a very dear friend who got the band for the same reason you want it..to stop binging..well guess what, he has had 3 fills and still binges and eats and drink around the band..his weight loss is very minimal and he has been banded for 9 months now..I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to prepare you that the band is not a magic wand, your head has to do alot of the work..you head and band have to work together ..I wish you the best and hope you find answers to why yopu binge and you can get things under control...

Aww.. you already did hit yourself, with 2500 calories that made you feel horrible. I know when Im around that time of the month I get ravenous. Try taking emergency food to work with you. Things you can snack on to your hearts content without guilt. Low fat microwave popcorn, carrots, yogurt, a low carb bar that tastes like chocolate and Peanut Butter. Things like that. We were just discussing binges on another thread and all agreed that when this happens with the band, a binge is a few of this and a bit of that. Not 2500 calories at a time. The band will help, and you'll be fine. Also, try eating some brown rice. It's great for you and the carbs are like a fine sedative without side affects - unless you eat too many. hehe

Hang in there, you'll make it thru this. *hugs*

*laughs* LaMadam - we just gave a bit of conflicting info. You are right though, things can still go down easily that can defeat the weightloss. I don't think that Rozi is a frequent binger though. This seems to be an isolated incident that has upset her.

But I do agree, the band will not stop everything. Some of it has to be sheer determination to overcome the cravings.

lamadam is right.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am banded and what you described is how I eat everyday..

(I shouldnt and its wrong, but I do.. or have been)

I dont call it binging.. REAL binging would be VERY hard to do with a good fill .. IMO... no matter if its junk or not. IMO, real binging is like eating a box of donuts and stuff.. (binge eaters.. who cram food in their mouths in a matter of minutes or even hours withour stopping...in an extrememly out of control way..)

I ate tons of junk before and now I eat less but still way too much.

Dear Rozi,

Count me in as a binge eater too!

I did find that those flavored sugar free coffee's help me through the worst of binges because it helps me with my huge sweet tooth and it fills the gap for a while at least.

I wish so much that I had willpower to not pick at food all the time but If I did have willpower I wouldn't be so fat anyway, unfortunatly the band hasn't helped me with my head thing.

So I have to find other ways to satisfy myself I guess.

It seems that you are not ready for a committment, to change your life. The band is just a tool, not a miracle worker. Your doctor cannot make the decision for you. Unless you are serious for a drastic change, dont do it.

C:omg:

no one can judge your committment level from the outside but don't think that the act of having the surgery is going to independently kickstart your committment. i thought that and am dealing with the consequences. it's good that the band doesn't have a honemoon period like the rny. i have my little friend as long as my body will have her. so luckily, i can change my life now. but you will set yourself up for disappointment if the band is not just a part of a total life change. the band will not save you. you have to save yourself.