Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nervous about surgery now

Today was my last doc appt,for supervised diet and I faxed all my paperwork over to the surgeons office, I told them if approved I was looking to have it Dec,she told me doc would be out of the country for 3wks then. So I asked when were they thinking to do it she said Oct 17th, Idk,

That's right around the corner, I'm getting nervous, because I just recently this year started having panic attacks after I had my baby which was last year.

Has anybody been banded and has panic/anxiety attacks????

Any info or words of encouragement will help..

I have had 5 csections and was fine...

i HAVE B-POLAR AND IT WAS VERY HARD THE FIRST FEW DAYS. YOU WILL BE SORE AND YOU WILL PANIC SOMEWHAT CAUSE YOUR GONNA ASK YOURSELF " WHY DID I DO THIS". bUT AFTER A FEW DAYS THE REALITY IS WE DO THIS SO WE CAN BE HAPPIER AND HEATHLY AND LOOK GOOD IN OUR JEANS.. ;.)

GOOD LUK AND WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YA.. I WAS BANDED LAST WEEK.. AND IM STILL HERE!!!

Will they give something to calm nerves down before the surgery??

THEY DIDNT GIVE ME ANYTHING. bUT WHEN I GOT IN THE SURGERY ROOM. I REMEMBER GETTING ON THE BED AND THEN I WAS OUT.. sO THERE WAS NO TIME TO BE SCARED.. LOL.. R U STAYING IN THE HOSPTIAL? OR OUT SURGERY?

Dr said overnight, I just know I'm going to panic while in pre op before they do the surgery,

I have G.A.D.

which is a generalized anxiety disorder.

I had my surgery this morning!

I did panic a few days before,

but i took Valerian root at night (pill form but they have liquid)

which is a natural tranquilizer! It really worked for me!

I also have Buspirone 5mg to take when I have a bad attack.

This morning and last night the nerves just went away since i knew it was the right decision for me!

I won't lie!

When I walked into the surgery room the panic whistles were on alert, but like Ca230 said, you're on the table,

getting set up, and the anesthesiologist says 'look up here',

then you wake up groggy!

That's it, That FAST!

But bring a pillow and a bottled Water for the car ride home since you'll want to put the pillow on your tummy (yes, its a tummy now, not a bottomless pit!) , in case of potholes and speed bumps!

i know you'll do great!

Just remember that as the weight comes off, the panic/anxiety attacks go way down!

I lost 20lbs on my own (since my highest weight) which was about 2 years ago and i went from barely being able to sit inside of a Denny's with my family, to getting my degree and starting my life.

If you have any questions, I'm here for you!

I was told I would be getting somthing to send me on a vacation!!!

That's what the did said I had panic disorder, but the crazy thing is I know when its fixing to happen, I have klonopin to take as needed and the did said I had a lil depression also and I take lexapro everyday, just a yr ago I didn't even have these problems,

I had to get my tonsils out this pass June and I had panic attacks everyday for like 2 wks I think it was the pain meds plus the anxiety pills, felt like I was going crazy literally, so now I'm hesitant about taking pain meds, do u think they will give me something to calm my nerves when I'm just laying in the bad getting anxious??

@tan_ya And congrats on your surgery today how is the pain and the gas???

@amyrose have u had your surgery yet??

That's what the did said I had panic disorder, but the crazy thing is I know when its fixing to happen, I have klonopin to take as needed and the did said I had a lil depression also and I take lexapro everyday, just a yr ago I didn't even have these problems,

I had to get my tonsils out this pass June and I had panic attacks everyday for like 2 wks I think it was the pain meds plus the anxiety pills, felt like I was going crazy literally, so now I'm hesitant about taking pain meds, do u think they will give me something to calm my nerves when I'm just laying in the bad getting anxious??

@tan_ya And congrats on your surgery today how is the pain and the gas???

@amyrose have u had your surgery yet??

The gas is starting, but its not as bad as i was thinking it would be!

The pain is very little for me!

It was just the straight lap band (err.. Realize Band) , no hernia or stones

the DR. did a terrific job!

You do need to check your Rx for complications I had been on Lexapro for a bit, but it was too expensive so i switched to Paxil.

But i know you can't take Advil, ibuprofen or aspirin while on these meds take Tylenol if you need it (theu have liquid bottles at Walmart or CVS)

If you're in a hospital, you can request a tranquilizer if you're really needing it.

But I was honestly more curious as to were i was going to be!

I have panic attacks too, but honestly, the hospital was so friendly and professional I did not need to take anything. The lady beside me in the prep room was starting to get really nervous so they did give her something to calm her down. They gave me my anesthesia shot as they started to wheel me from the prep room to the surgery room and I went out just about as soon as I hit the surgery room. Woke up a very short time later and did not even realize surgery was complete. I thought I was still waiting! Once I hit the room, they were quick with giving me Zofran and Morphine. I left the hospital late that afternoon, slept through the night and have been fine ever since. I don't do well with pain medication so was happy to be able to stop using it the day after my surgery. I have not had to take my anti-anxiety medication since the surgery 8 days ago.

Hey just wanted to let you know that my surgery date is also set for oct 17th. I am nervous too and take cymbalta for depression and anxiety. let me know how you are doing.:rolleyes:

If you take daily meds for anxiety or depression

please please please

by a pill crusher and learn how to use it, or if you can even crush your pills

so that you do not suffer withdraw symptoms!

Just ask your pharmacist!

Its what i'm doing now so that i don't irritate my band, but also don't fall into a depression as can happen

after surgery or with pain meds!

=)

sorry if i sound demanding or bossy,

i just don't want you all to suffer through recovery!

rolleyes.gif

Thank u everybody!!!@

I am also going to be banded on October 5th. I have anxiety too and I always think the worse. I am so nervous today. I am also wondering what ifs you know. But four years ago when I lost 70 pounds my anxiety/panic attacks disappeared. Unfortunately I gained all the weight back and I have the same problem. I am hoping when I lose the weight the anxiety will go away..

Thank u everybody!!!@