Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

never know when I can keep something down

It's been almost 2 weeks since my first fill. (after many months of being wide open) tried to eat 1 egg and veggie saugsage pattie and all came up. I don't get it. I was able to eat a grilled chicken breast a couple days ago. I am so tired of just drinking my meals. why have I been able to eat at times these past 2 weeks then other times, complete disaster?

Has anyone had this experience? Thanks

I think I see this a little differently than a lot of others so bear with me. I keep my band pretty tight and I like it and need it that way. Yes, it is variable day to day and at different times of the day very similar to the rings on my fingers. I can eat an egg and I can eat a veggie patty but not at the same time. That would be two different meals for me and that's ok with me. Also your band will loosen up as you lose weight because there is actually fat under it on your stomach. So if you can live with these outrageously tiny meals for a while, you will lose weight and eventually you will be able to eat both with no problem but you may plateau on your weight loss. To me that means time for another fill.

I eat very tiny meals and actually quite often but I have never dieted or exercised and this has actually been relatively easy for me...good luck!

I think I see this a little differently than a lot of others so bear with me. I keep my band pretty tight and I like it and need it that way. Yes, it is variable day to day and at different times of the day very similar to the rings on my fingers. I can eat an egg and I can eat a veggie patty but not at the same time. That would be two different meals for me and that's ok with me. Also your band will loosen up as you lose weight because there is actually fat under it on your stomach. So if you can live with these outrageously tiny meals for a while, you will lose weight and eventually you will be able to eat both with no problem but you may plateau on your weight loss. To me that means time for another fill.

I eat very tiny meals and actually quite often but I have never dieted or exercised and this has actually been relatively easy for me...good luck!

Hi! I'm still going through the pre-surgery stuff but I'm curious.... How many calories do you think you take in a day? Will you continue to lose eating tiny meals a day? By the way..... Congratulations on your weight loss!!

I am in the same boat as Xavier- I can only eat small amounts but I am okay with that for now. This morning I was hungry and my daughter made bacon and eggs. I had maybe 2 slices of bacon and could only eat 1 spoonful of eggs.

It seems that some days I can eat a small meal and other days I can only eat a spoonful. I definitely need to putthe fork down between bites and give the food a chance to settle before attempting another bite. I had 1 week where it seems that everything I ate just didn't settle right in my stomache and I could feel the slime starting. I found that when this begins if I walk around the house it helps the food to work it's way down.

It's certainly a big learning process!

My advice-small bites, chew, chew, chew, put the fork down and stick to 1 type of food. My new favorite thingto do is share a meal at a restuarant and maybe order Soup beforehand.

That sounds like good advice. I will definitely give it a try. One more question. How do you make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need?

Well I think right now I am eating 800-1000 calories a day. Right now I was just eating some cake (a craving I had to get out of my system!). I am a vegetarian sort of because I do eat fish. I dont tell myself there's anything I CANT have but there are a few things I MUST have. That way I dont feel deprived. I have a rule about getting at least 60 grams of Protein every day which since I dont eat meat I have t be careful of. I am very tight in the morning so a lot of times I have a Protein shake (Cosco Premier Protein, 160 cals and 30 gms protein). Sometimes greek yogurt but I get sick of both and just force myself since I have no appetite (I never did) in the morning.

Then later when I do get hungry I might want to eat junk food and I might let myself have it (I can only eat about a 100 calorie size of potato chips for example...not nutritious but not too big of a deal). So after morning Protein I may eat another five times that day...tiny meals means eating and being hungry more often but I think thats ok. So of those 5 'meals' I try to make sure two or three are protein like tuna salad or a Boca burger with cheese.

I have a hard time sometimes with rice, Pasta bread but I can eat small amounts of them. I eat a lot of sushi but I really have to chew. I drink wine almost every evening because one glass seems to keep me from the after dinner TV snacking!

I refuse to eat anything that had reduced calorie or fake sugar or whatever. I walk my fat dachshund maybe every other day but I dont work out or go to ga gym and I never will. I hate diets (they made me fatter) and I hate gyms (I'm naturally lazy).

Ask me anything I am no model of perfection but I am very honest. I just want people to know that you can be successful without becoming a dieting gym rat...how long could I keep that up anyway???

I forgot to answer about whether I expect to continue to lose. Yes I think I will lose a little more based on what I am now eating and also I am 145 which is the first normal MBI for me. That is not a good place because for me even a normal up-fluctuation to 146 is 'overweight' and even though its silly, I dont want to live on that borderline! I hope to lose 3 to five more but I like my body how it is and I dont want to lose any more boob!

I forgot to answer about whether I expect to continue to lose. Yes I think I will lose a little more based on what I am now eating and also I am 145 which is the first normal MBI for me. That is not a good place because for me even a normal up-fluctuation to 146 is 'overweight' and even though its silly, I dont want to live on that borderline! I hope to lose 3 to five more but I like my body how it is and I dont want to lose any more boob!

I enjoyed reading this post. I am down 60 lbs., but have been on a plateau for some time. I finally went for a fill this past week. And as someone said, I too am having trouble keeping anything down. But like you said as you lose weight it will loosen a little and you will again be able to eat a little more. So right now - I am a teaspoon at a time. And I'm ok with that. Hang in there everybody.

Glad to hear it...glad to hear you are willing to suffer a little by going one teaspoon at a time! Lots of people here cant seem to tolerate that even though its temporary. A lot of people have gone for a unfill for reflux...I would rather (and I do) take Protonix that be overweight. My heartburn is subsiding as I am losing weight and the band is loosening up but even if I had to be on meds forever, its better than being obese.

I was just reading a very long thread of what people are generally eating every day and more than 90% of the posts (in my not so humble opinion) were a brutal midevil diet! WoW! If I could do that I wouldnt have had to lasso my gut! I eat all regular food and if I overeat I get a well deserved bitchslap from my band!

I enjoyed reading this post. I am down 60 lbs., but have been on a plateau for some time. I finally went for a fill this past week. And as someone said, I too am having trouble keeping anything down. But like you said as you lose weight it will loosen a little and you will again be able to eat a little more. So right now - I am a teaspoon at a time. And I'm ok with that. Hang in there everybody.

Thanks, I am the same way. I like a tight fill and also eat very tiny meals. I lose weight & don't diet or have to go crazy with exercise. I eat what I want but very tiny bites and not much of it at a time. I also need a tight band. Maybe later on I won't, but I may always need it tight and that's okay. I don't mind it at all compared to crazy dieting/struggling before banding. I have found eating this way much easier.

I am in the same boat as Xavier- I can only eat small amounts but I am okay with that for now. This morning I was hungry and my daughter made bacon and eggs. I had maybe 2 slices of bacon and could only eat 1 spoonful of eggs.

It seems that some days I can eat a small meal and other days I can only eat a spoonful. I definitely need to putthe fork down between bites and give the food a chance to settle before attempting another bite. I had 1 week where it seems that everything I ate just didn't settle right in my stomache and I could feel the slime starting. I found that when this begins if I walk around the house it helps the food to work it's way down.

It's certainly a big learning process!

My advice-small bites, chew, chew, chew, put the fork down and stick to 1 type of food. My new favorite thingto do is share a meal at a restuarant and maybe order Soup beforehand.

Enjoy reading your comment and relate. I walk around too and I forget about the food & then I notic all went down. I have to eat tiny bites and eat slowly. I have no choice. I'm ok with it because it works for me. When I eat out I usually order Soup because I can relax, enjoy company and not worry about my eating. Its just easier.

Glad to hear it...glad to hear you are willing to suffer a little by going one teaspoon at a time! Lots of people here cant seem to tolerate that even though its temporary. A lot of people have gone for a unfill for reflux...I would rather (and I do) take Protonix that be overweight. My heartburn is subsiding as I am losing weight and the band is loosening up but even if I had to be on meds forever, its better than being obese.

I was just reading a very long thread of what people are generally eating every day and more than 90% of the posts (in my not so humble opinion) were a brutal midevil diet! WoW! If I could do that I wouldnt have had to lasso my gut! I eat all regular food and if I overeat I get a well deserved bitchslap from my band!

Keep sharing! Love what all you are saying! Exactly same place. My band is my best friend now and keeps me in line. I don't deprive either, why should I? Losing weight.....no high blood pressure, no reflux anymore, joint pain practically gone. Its been amazing to me having the band. I eat very tiny and more often. I drink premiere shakes, smoothies, greek yogurt......60 grams protein....and lots of fruits. I also eat cake. Lol........my band is the best thing I've ever done. :)

We are really on the same page! And you are right about the soup...otherwise when I eat out with friends I get distracted and eat too fast...and you know the rest!

Keep sharing! Love what all you are saying! Exactly same place. My band is my best friend now and keeps me in line. I don't deprive either, why should I? Losing weight.....no high blood pressure, no reflux anymore, joint pain practically gone. Its been amazing to me having the band. I eat very tiny and more often. I drink premiere shakes, smoothies, greek yogurt......60 grams Protein....and lots of fruits. I also eat cake. Lol........my band is the best thing I've ever done. :)

Interesting comments, here! I guess that I concur. I keep mine so that I can eat, but not too much. I, like Xaiver, am on maintenance. But, if I go up a few lbs, I am no longer in the normal range. I try to eat small melas and drink lots of smoothies to get enough Protein. Karen

I'm glad that I found this thread. I like my band tight also. I've had it loosened for stressful occasions (wedding duties, graduation hostess) but always gain a little weight and I just hate the dieting/exercise crap. My doctor has scolded me for making my band do all the work but that's why I got it. I was tired of doing all the work and needed support. I'm in a bit of a mess right now because of not chewing my salad properly so my band is "bitchslapping" me also. Love that term. It really makes me feel like I'm in a partnership. I do the Soup also. My dietician says to eat a little Protein before the soup but I want to relax and enjoy the company.