Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded "Newbie"

Hi Everyone,

I was banded on Monday (at Bellevue Hospital) in NYC, spent one night in the hospital and am on post-op day 3. Most important, I am doing really well.

I was conflicted about having the surgery for some time, but finally decided to do it. Most important reason: my health! In the last two years, I have had endometrial cancer (stage 1 - no chemo or radiation) and emergency gall bladder surgery. Although I can't say that my obesity caused these problems, both conditions are highly correlated with obesity. In addition, my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were rising. Both my parents died in their 60's of cardiovascular disease and at my current age (56), my future didn't look very bright. When I was younger, my obesity didn't seem to really impinge on my health, but as I get older that was changing rapidly. Without sounding overly dramatic, I didn't want to have a diminished life.

Anyway, as I don't have insurance, I was referred by my gyn oncology surgeon to Bellevue's Bariatric Clinic and was quickly approved for the surgery, and was told it would only cost me $150 out of pocket!! Being unemployed and having no insurance, actually made the approval process much easier. I qualified for a reduced rate according to NYC Health and Hospital Corporation's sliding scale. I was on the OR schedule for last May when my gallbladder attacked, so the surgery was postponed to September 10th to give my body time to recover. In the meantime, surprisingly, I lost almost 15 lbs due to the complications of the gall bladder surgery, and the lack of appetite that resulted. I almost didn't do the surgery, but decided to go ahead the week before my scheduled OR date.

Monday morning I had the surgery, stayed in the hospital overnight and was released the next day. I slept for almost 24 hours (partially due to not sleeping in the hospital), and have just started adding Protein Shakes back into my diet. I seem to be healing well, not much pain, a little gas, and a greatly diminished appetite (YEAH!!!) Hopefully this will remain until I can add soft, pureed foods into my diet on post-op day 14. My first post op appointment with the physician assistant and nutritionist is next Wednesday.

My goal is to get to 125 lbs or a BMI of 22.1. That means a total weight loss of 100 lbs from my high point before gall bladder surgery this spring, or 85 from my pre-op diet starting weight of 210. This morning I weighed 202 lbs, or a bmi of 35.8.

Onward and upwards! or better still: Onward and downwards!

Lisa

Congratulations!!! I was just banded on 8/22. It was also a big decision for me. Although it sounds like you had more going on that I did but it was more whether I really deemed this surgery necessary. When my breathing got worse and started using my rescue inhaler 6 + times a day I knew I needed to do something. I think since surgery I've only used my inhaler a total of maybe 8 times. I am now able to do any exercises I want and can eat mushies. food doesn't seem so exciting anymore. Things look good, but when I go to eat, I can take it or leave it. Maybe after I'm on my permanent diet it will get better. I'm trying to get Protein through food instead of Protein drinks because I'm really sick of those lol but have been unsuccessful. So it look like I will be in Protein Drink hell once again. Oh well. Anyways, the best of luck to you and there is a lot of good advice from others on this site.

Lisa (my name too lol)

Hi Lisa,

I just dropped by the thread because I see you are in NYC, and I am too! I had my surgery back in May, and so far, it has been a good decision. I still haven't had a fill, and I really don't want to have one if I don't have to. So far, I do have an appetite, and I can eat whatever I want to eat, but I can't eat the quantities that I used to be able to eat. That was my goal. I didn't really care if I lost weight or not, I just didn't want to continue to grow.

I didn't have any co-morbidities at all, so I didn't do it for any other reason than to just not gain more weight. At the moment, I suppose my goal is to try to lose about 100 pounds, but I'm not pressuring myself with that, it's just something to kinda aim for. I doubt I will ever see the famous Onederland, but I am currently in Twoderville, ( something I never thought would be possible) so if I never lose another pound, I am perfectly happy where I am.

anyway, sorry for the ramble. welcome to the boards!

Thanks for your good thoughts, Lisa.

Sounds like you are well on your way. Great news about the change in your Asthma status. Sounds like a really good reason to do the surgery.

Congratulations!!! I was just banded on 8/22. It was also a big decision for me. Although it sounds like you had more going on that I did but it was more whether I really deemed this surgery necessary. When my breathing got worse and started using my rescue inhaler 6 + times a day I knew I needed to do something. I think since surgery I've only used my inhaler a total of maybe 8 times. I am now able to do any exercises I want and can eat mushies. food doesn't seem so exciting anymore. Things look good, but when I go to eat, I can take it or leave it. Maybe after I'm on my permanent diet it will get better. I'm trying to get Protein through food instead of Protein drinks because I'm really sick of those lol but have been unsuccessful. So it look like I will be in Protein Drink hell once again. Oh well. Anyways, the best of luck to you and there is a lot of good advice from others on this site.

Lisa (my name too lol)

Us, NYC people should stick together! LOL!laugh.gif

Glad to hear that now you can eat what every you want, just smaller portions. That's good news to me, as I'm a real foodie, and love to cook. I realized that I needed to eat less, but I didn't really want to live on the same food all the time. My nutrition isn't really all that bad, I don't live on cheeseburgers and fries, my problem is appetite and Portion Control. I would be very happy if I got to the stage you are. I can cook healthy meals.

Congrats on your success. Sounds like you are well on your way.

lisa

Hi Lisa,

I just dropped by the thread because I see you are in NYC, and I am too! I had my surgery back in May, and so far, it has been a good decision. I still haven't had a fill, and I really don't want to have one if I don't have to. So far, I do have an appetite, and I can eat whatever I want to eat, but I can't eat the quantities that I used to be able to eat. That was my goal. I didn't really care if I lost weight or not, I just didn't want to continue to grow.

I didn't have any co-morbidities at all, so I didn't do it for any other reason than to just not gain more weight. At the moment, I suppose my goal is to try to lose about 100 pounds, but I'm not pressuring myself with that, it's just something to kinda aim for. I doubt I will ever see the famous Onederland, but I am currently in Twoderville, ( something I never thought would be possible) so if I never lose another pound, I am perfectly happy where I am.

anyway, sorry for the ramble. welcome to the boards!