Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there!

I would really like some advice / feedback from a few who might have had the same experience.

It's now 10 weeks since I had my band fitted & have lost 24 1bs so far). I had it filled 3 weeks ago because I stopped losing weight after 4 weeks.

I was on liquids for first 2 weeks then mashed food for 2 weeks after which it felt as though I had no band really and could eat pretty normally, the band was not filled when it was fitted at the op.

After the adjustment with a 7ml fill, I had 2 days on liquids and 3 days mashed food.

Since starting to eat normal food again I often have pain when I eat the first few mouthfuls, like gas in my chest or that the food is stuck, although not always. It's worst in the morning, so I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast which is fine.

At lunch it could go either way, sometimes fine or painful, so that I either have to take a break and walk around a bit or have to throw up a tiny bit (not nice). If this happens I might be able to eat after a while or if it continues I give up and don't eat, which is one way to lose weight I guess!

By dinner it's usually ok and I can eat a small portion with no problems, but not always. Basically some days are better than others and I don't really know why, sometimes even mashed food can hurt, but more solid food goes down just fine. If I can manage the first few mouthfuls ok then the whole meal is usually fine.

I know all the basics like not drinking at the same time, eating slowly and chewing everything a lot but this does not seem to make any difference.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

It would be great to hear from you.

weight.png

sounds like you are too tight. 7ml at your first fill, that is alot. there was probaly already some in there. i had 3ml's in mine when i got my first fill, then they added 2ml's, i chocked a little on the Water, then they took out .5ml's and i was fine.

i know i am not hungry at all in the mornings, so i drink a Protein Shake so i at least have something, and some Protein. plus i seem to be tighter in the mornings.

hope this helps :)

sounds like you are too tight. 7ml at your first fill, that is alot. there was probaly already some in there. i had 3ml's in mine when i got my first fill, then they added 2ml's, i chocked a little on the Water, then they took out .5ml's and i was fine.

i know i am not hungry at all in the mornings, so i drink a Protein shake so i at least have something, and some Protein. plus i seem to be tighter in the mornings.

hope this helps :)

Thanks for your response.

I did wonder if maybe 7ml was a lot at the time, but I checked with the surgeon & there was definitely nothing in the band before the first adjustment and during the fill it took ages before I felt full at all, I had to drink absolutely loads of Water, I never choked, just gradually felt a little full & then he took out a bit before he finished.

I have had the same issue. Had my first fill and was fine for about 2 weeks...then I started with the pain and the throwing up! Do it at least once a day. Don't like that and I don't know why all of a sudden I am having these issues.

I have had the same issue. Had my first fill and was fine for about 2 weeks...then I started with the pain and the throwing up! Do it at least once a day. Don't like that and I don't know why all of a sudden I am having these issues.

Hi, my painful eating started straight after the fill, as soon as I started eating normal solid food again.

I have heard that it is just part of the adjustment and should get better in a few months, but I wondered what others in the same situation had experienced.

i was told that mine was a stoma spasm..i get the pain also sometimes but it is random and i could follow all of the rules and it would not make a difference. i had a small amount of Fluid removed and it has gotten a little better. my kind of feels like a stuck pin with the food going down but its not stuck.....same way with me also after a few painful bites then i could at times be fine. hormones also back the band feel tighter i was told

I am 4 days out from sugery. I have terrible gas in chest and shoulders everytime i drink a bit of Water or Protein Shake Is this still normal? When will it stop? Still no mush just water and Protein Shakes

I am 4 days out from sugery. I have terrible gas in chest and shoulders everytime i drink a bit of Water or Protein shake Is this still normal? When will it stop? Still no mush just Water and Protein shakes

I had similar and was told it was the effects of the anesthetic as well as the band and it did get better within the first week. I lived on Soup and Protein Shakes for 2 weeks, then had mashed food for another 2 weeks.

I am 6 wks post op, have NOT had a fill at all and I am having pain every-time I eat anything. I was to the point of being able to handle eating anything(small portions is all)and last week I started having this stuck feeling along with pain in my esophagus every-time I eat, I'm back to "mushies" just to be able to get something down and even with that I have some pain. Has anyone experienced this?