Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone regret their decision to get banded?

Thanks again for all the feedback, people!

I am trying to get through one day at a time... Yesterday was especially rough. I also think I may switch my doctor after my next visit if I see that I still don't feel comfortable with his attitude or methods regarding the band. I'm still upset that I only got the stern post-op diet info AFTER my operation.

In the meantime, I've added a bit more Protein shake, (yucky, but no choice), since I was only allowed 6oz a day, and also other Clear liquids. I think I may try V8 as someone suggested, since I prefer salty to sweet. On Friday I move on to mushies, so I'm hoping as some of you said that will make me feel better and more in control. I have been walking at least once a day (don't feel well enough yet to do high impact stuff) and I'm doing the best I can.

Thanks for your help!

Jo :)

Hang in there, it really does get easier! I blended Soups in my blender until they were liquid, sounds gross but was delicious and nutritous! Keep drinking your Protein Shakes. I was allowed thin cream of wheat which was satisfying. I'd also blend cottage cheese with fruit until it was liquidy.

I am thankful for my band and I have had more problems than most. My band has slipped, I am completely deflated and we're hoping it'll slip back into place.

I was out of town all weekend. I ate in restaurants a lot of the time as was always able to find something that was yummy and band appropriate. No, I don't eat several pieces of pizza any more, but I can eat a small piece of thin crust pizza or I eat the top off the pizza. I was on the train for lunch today and had a small salad, small bowl of Soup and a hard roll. Usually I don't eat bread but the roll was hard and crusty and I was able to eat it comfortably. Yes, I would have preferred the Pasta main dish but I REALLY prefer looking and feeling like a different person than I did last summer. Last night for dinner I had a small amount of lean steak, corn on the cob and baked Beans. It was delicious and I eat about 1/4 to 1/2 of what I would have preband.

Can you call your nutritionist and talk about menu ideas?

Joan

I am two weeks post op today and I had (and some days still have) moments where I feel sad/depressed because I can't eat like everyone else and there are times I feel so hungry and am irritated that all I can do is drink a Protein Shake or eat some Soup. Then I get angry/cranky because I don't want to feel hungry. But then again, I lost 16lbs my first week, it would have taken me months to lose that without the band. I think it's really a mental thing. I talk to myself constantly reminding myself that food isn't everything, that I am tired of being overweight, etc. etc. I have to believe that this will get better in a month or so. Hang in there!!!! You made the right choice, it may just take a little more time than you'd like to believe that!!!

I am two weeks post op today and I had (and some days still have) moments where I feel sad/depressed because I can't eat like everyone else and there are times I feel so hungry and am irritated that all I can do is drink a Protein shake or eat some Soup. Then I get angry/cranky because I don't want to feel hungry. But then again, I lost 16lbs my first week, it would have taken me months to lose that without the band. I think it's really a mental thing. I talk to myself constantly reminding myself that food isn't everything, that I am tired of being overweight, etc. etc. I have to believe that this will get better in a month or so. Hang in there!!!! You made the right choice, it may just take a little more time than you'd like to believe that!!!

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! IM 6 DAYS POST OP AND I SOMETIMES FEEL MYSELF GETTING UPSET BECAUSE I CANT EAT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! I FEEL BUMMED OUT WHEN I SEE COMMERCIALS OF food THAT LOOKS SO DELICIOUS! BUT IT MAKES ME RECALL HEARING THE NUTRITIONIST SAYING "YOURE ADDICTED TO FOOD!" THAT BUGGED ME TO HEAR, AND EVERYTIME I SEE MYSELF WANTNG TO EAT, (OR CRAVING AFTER A BURGER COMMERCIAL) I THINK TO MYSELF, "DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT? OR DO YOU ONLY WANT IT BECAUSE YOU CANT HAVE IT?" LIKE YOU SAID, I TRULY BELIEVE THIS IS AN EMOTIONAL AND MENTAL THING WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH! IT WAS EXPECTED TO BE A ROUGH ROAD FOR US WHEN WE GOT BANDED! WE HAVE TO BE STRONG, FOCUSED AND CONFIDENT ON THIS JOURNEY! IVE READ THAT THE FIRST 6 WEEKS ARE PRETTY ROUGH, BUT AFTER THAT, WE SHOULD BE OKAY! HANG IN THERE AND DONT EVER THINK YOU ARE ALONE!!! (YOU GOT ME STRUGGELING RIGHT HERE WITH YA! :P)

Hi All,

Please help!

I'm 9 days post-op and totally freaking out today. I can't stomach the liquids anymore. I'm constantly hungry and sad and thinking about food all the time because I can't eat...

I'm feeling like I made a mistake and I can't live like this, constantly feeling deprived. I don't know what do, and feel like I just lost total control over my body and life.

Anyone else experience these types of feelings and regret over the decision? I know part of it is the stage I'm in, but now I'm feeling like I'd rather work harder and work out more to loose weight on my own than feel this lack of control and depression.

Any thoughts?

Jo

Absolutely, I went through the same thing at the same time. It totally sucks. I was on Clear Liquids for 10 days after surgery and thought I was going to die literally. I made it through and you will too. It is completely normal and the medicine from surgery is working it's way out of your body. Hang on, it will get much, much better. Lots of hugs!!

I had my surgery on July 28th and I was having a difficult time the past 2 weeks (5/6 weeks post-op).

I didn't find the liquids/mushies stages too bad but then I developed a skin infection around my port site that just didn't want to go away. That's when I got nervous and scared and was wondering 'what have I done to myself? I have children and a husband that depend on me!"

After 2 full weeks of antibiotics I am doing much better. I still have another 5 days of antibiotics to go but the infection is nearly gone and the surgeon has been great through this whole thing. My port is also flipped on its side so it sticks out a lot already but I will still be able to get fills when I need them (don't need them yet) and the surgeon said he will relocate the port after I have lost my weight so it will be less noticeable.

You will get through the tough part and start to feel happier and more confident and healthier and more vibrant as the weight comes off (slowly!)

Good luck!!

I totally understand and I was in your spot just a few months ago! It is a complete mind game, we know before we go into surgery that our lives are going to change and we are excited and nervous (at least I was) but we also are looking towards the future and thinking about how great it will be… kinda forgetting about the process it take to get us to the healthier and happier life.

To this day I can’t even stomach the idea of Protein drinks or chicken broth (unless mixed with other things). I promise it will get better!! Recovery is hard and having a restrictive lifestyle is going to be harder but I promise the hunger pains will go away once you get some food (not liquids) in you! But it all takes time (I’m sure you don’t want to hear that!)

I promise the feeling of regret will fade away! You came to the right place for up lifting people that have experienced exactly what you’re going through and reaching out right now is defiantly what you need to keep doing! Keep your head up and just remember things will get better!!!

Hi All,

Please help!

I'm 9 days post-op and totally freaking out today. I can't stomach the liquids anymore. I'm constantly hungry and sad and thinking about food all the time because I can't eat...

I'm feeling like I made a mistake and I can't live like this, constantly feeling deprived. I don't know what do, and feel like I just lost total control over my body and life.

Anyone else experience these types of feelings and regret over the decision? I know part of it is the stage I'm in, but now I'm feeling like I'd rather work harder and work out more to loose weight on my own than feel this lack of control and depression.

Any thoughts?

Jo

JoJo, been there and done that! I don't read where everybody goes through that stage, but I went through the same thing you did. I was so depressed and unhappy the first month thinking what on earth did I do to myself. It is true, it takes some getting used to on your new life and I did not have all the information that some of the other people on here did. The seminars I went to left out a lot of information because we all react differently to this procedure.

Well, the bottom line is, this state will pass and you need to keep your eye focused on the end of this journey with a new skinny body and everything that comes with it. It is a long and hard journey but so well worth it in the end.

I was banded 12/20/08, I am 58 and down 90 pds with a problem of gaining 5 pds from last christmas that will not come off, but I am off all meds, no longer border line diabetic and into size 10 pants. I feel great and I do remember how bad this whole journey started out. Not everybody goes through this depression period, but you seem to be doing the same thing I did. Ride it out and work with the new "you" and you will be so happy down the road.

Good luck and keep focused on the prize of better health and whistles for you!!!

Depression is sometimes thought of being a side effect of surgery...my post op booklet says this is a stage most of us will experience ....sorry your having such a difficult time...hope things start getting better for you....

I felt so good about my surgery until the first time my husband made hamburgers on the grill and I realized I couldn't have one. I went through about a week of grieving food. I was banded Feb 23, 2011 and today I am down 58 lbs. I can tell you that I had to find ways to trick myself into not feeling deprived. Some of the things I did early on and what I still do after a fill is get some sugar free popcycles or some fudge cycles and they make me feel normal and a bit naughty. The fudgecycles only have 40 calories per serving and they are really good. I still have one some days after I eat my meal. My family may have a bowl of ice cream or cake or something else and I am fine with my little serving. I can say that in the 6 mths since surgery, I am so glad I had this done. Early on I started using one cup size bowls for my food and eating with coctail forks. I also buy paper plates and I buy my family the bigger ones and I use the smallest ones like you would serve cake on for a birthday party. This is my norm now. Once I adjusted my serving dishes, I put my amount of food on there and I still geel like I am eating as much as I was before until I see my husband's plate and I know I am not getting as many calories. I also still get sugar free candy and suck on from time to time. I get the sugar free Worther's Originals or some sugar free watermellon or lemon drops and I still get to enjoy the flavor and it also helps with the hungar pangs. I also sometimes get the sugar free butterscotch pudding after a fill and add some tasteless Protein powder to it. Talk about a great feeling. I feel like I am cheeting but the weight keeps dropping off.

Please post an update when you are feeling better. The first time I crossed my legs or could sit with my leg folded up in my office chair, I nearly cried. Now I keep taking up my pants and getting new clothes and laugh about the time I was grieving over not being able to eat as much. I promise you will get there.

Thanks for the feedback and the good wishes everyone. Reading your stories helps me feel like I'm not alone. I went to my Dr.'s support group last week and there were 3 people there including the moderator. I thought I would be able to talk about how I was feeling, but they made me feel like I was crazy for being sad and not excited for getting banded. I know this will be a long journey, and I hope it will get better, and that I will be thrilled with my decision. But right now I am still struggling with the early post-op restrictions and going through a rough time in my personal life too. Since the "crutch" of eating to feel better is gone, everything else seems to be crashing down too... I know it will take time, but I have to get through it the best way I can each day. I live in CT so I placed a post on here to see if others from my area would want to start a live support group, but didn't get many takers. It's too bad because I feel like that would be a HUGE help. Writing on here helps, as does reading people's comments, but it's not enough. I did move on to the mushies phase. It's definitely better than liquids, but a lot of things are not agreeing with me so I keep eating the same stuff which is getting old fast. I'm also really unsure about how many calories to eat or how much Protein. I didn't get clear instructions from my Dr. and right now I'm eating/drinking about 500 calories a day, which feels really low, but have not lost weight in a few days. I'm also afraid that once I add calories I will start gaining. Argh... All these questions, not a lot of answers...

BUT, I am grateful for this community!

Thanks!

JoJo

i felt like that the first few days after surgery. i've been banded for a month now. i don't feel like that anymore. as far as the thoughts of food. i have them all the time. i just usually say out loud all the food i want, i just list everything i want and then think about the weight i've lost and go on about my day. it's non fattening to think of food. part of why we're overweight is because of mindless eating. so think about it, then get rid of the thoughts by thinking about how good you look and how much better you're gonna look when you lose all your weight. it'll get better. :)

good luck!!