Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kosher Multivitamin

I'm jewish and keep Kosher and am having a very hard time finding a multi that has the 100% RDA of zinc and Biotin and that is in chewable, liquid, or powder form. Can anyone help?

Oh my, loaded question. I am an Orthodox Jew and have so far tried two different kinds. They are both nasty, but one way more than the other! Kiddievite is a liquid and is truly putrid. chewable Maxi Health (I have the cherry flavor) is tolerable but I have yet to take a full dose (3 tablets) because the flavor is really not so great. You won't find any Vitamins that have 100% of all the RDA needed, but most of the time that is ok because you will also be drinking and eating things that will provide you with enough to make up for it. I am 5 weeks past my surgery and still drinking my Protein Shakes which make up for the less than 100% RDA needed for certain things.

Thank you for replying. I'll check those out. Do you mind me asking what Protein Powder you're using?

Are you fasting today?

I don't use Protein powders, I drink Myoplex shakes. I know a lot of people swear by the powders but I would rather get my protein from things like yogurt and cottage cheese. I am a vegetarian, so my protein intake in general is different. I am fasting today. I have to say it isn't any harder or easier than years past. Last year I was still nursing on Tisha b'Av and that was actually more difficult!

I don't use Protein powders, I drink Myoplex shakes. I know a lot of people swear by the powders but I would rather get my Protein from things like yogurt and cottage cheese. I am a vegetarian, so my protein intake in general is different. I am fasting today. I have to say it isn't any harder or easier than years past. Last year I was still nursing on Tisha b'Av and that was actually more difficult!

Did you have to do anything special yesterday to prepare and make sure you'll be able to fast all day? I like to stuff myself to the gills before a fast.....i know, terrible.....but i can't picture being able to eat enough before a fast with the lap band.....

I have not yet had a fill but do feel restriction, so even if I had wanted to, I didnt stuff myself. What I did do was eat at around 4:30, then after about an hour, I ate again a bit and made sure to drink to move things along, then right before the fast started (I would say about 20 minutes before) I had some zucchini spaghetti with sauce. I think it is a psychological thing for us to think that if we stuff ourselves we wont be hungry but it isnt true. You will find once you have the band that you won't be hungry like you are now because your new mini stomach will be satisfied much faster... and so will you!

Thank you! I really appreciate your help and advice. Hope the rest of the fast went well for you yesterday.

I went to Walmart this morning looking for the whey Protein powder but had no success finding anything kosher. Geez, i thought getting the multis, the Calcium citrates, and the protein powder would be the easiest part of this whole preparating process!

The Biotin I take is 5000 mg and is very small size of a tictac. I don't know if they are kosher though.

Honk, if it is Nature Made brand then it is not Kosher. I would be curious to know the brand in case there is something out there I haven't heard of!

koshervitamins.com just sent me an email with a link to a chewable prenatal Vitamin http://www.koshervitamins.com/Mega-Health-Kosher-Prenatal-Chewable-Fruit-Flavor-120-Chewable it's got the 100% zinc and Biotin requirements but of course has all the extra Iron and stuff as well. What do you guys think?

I think it is something you should discuss with your doctor/nutritionist. Mine didnt want me on prenatals (I had shown her those that you are mentioning) and prefered that I go on something lower instead based on the other foods in my diet.

Thank you so much for letting me know. What i'll do is just take my regular Multivitamin and then print the info to show her at my second nutrition appt in 3 weeks. It's just real hard to find a chewable for after surgery. They also sent me a link for veggie caps Multivitamins that have the RDA as well but those need to be swallowed as well.......argh.

Nechama, would u mind telling me what you eat on a regular day during meals and on shabbos? I can give you my email address if it makes it easier.

Had my visit with the cardiologist and he cleared me for surgery!!

The pulmonologist is sending me for chest xray, and other barage of tests. Have any of you done these? They say i'm going to be radiated to the point where i need to stay away from my kids for 24 hours??????????

Why on earth would they tell you that? I would double check that they weren't kidding about the radiation. I mean, people who do chemo can usually be around kids after, so how much could they possibly radiate you with a chest xray?

That being said, a part of me would say it would be easier to email but I also remember when I first joined how disappointed I was seeing nothing from any Jewish frum people on here so I consider this thread as a public service and will answer you here! :)

I never heard of veggie caps so I wonder if those are Kosher.

Keeping in mind that I am a vegetarian, here is what I generally eat now that I am fully in the band swing of things (without a fill yet - hopefully next week!)

Breakfast - 1 Myoplex Protein Shake (14 fl oz) and a single serve Breakstone's cottage cheese

lunch - We order in lunch every day at work, so either I get a scoop of egg salad, a vegetable Soup, a vegetable side dish, or some other very small portion of something that I can have. I find I can usually eat 1-2 cups of food for this meal and then I am truly full.

dinner - Most of the time I end up having leftovers from Shabbos (I don't get bored easily, so I can have leftovers a few days and be happy) or a veggie burger, Protein shake, Chobani yogurt

For Snacks I will have a 90 or 100 calorie pack of Fiber one brownie, pretzels, etc. There are so many to choose from! I also will snack on American or Cheddar cheese of that Smart Beat brand because they are only 25 calories a slice. I do stay away from fruit for the most part. If I have anything it is a small applesauce cup to keep it portion controlled.

Since I have a feeling that I will have stuck issues with Pasta and rice (as many people do) I have just stayed away from them for the most part so I dont expect them to be a main part of my food (plus they are not the kind of calories we should have anyway!) If I want to treat myself, I do, but I don't overdo it.

For Shabbos I make tofu or soy dishes in sauces (low cal bbq or Tomato sauce), vegetable kugels (I make them light and make sure to portion what I eat), vegetable Soup (usually it is pureed because I made a ton before the surgery in anticipation of my liquid diet so I have a ton in the freezer!), a potato or rice side dish (but I have greatly reduced the size that I make since my husband is on Atkins so he won't eat it anyway), egg salad or devilled eggs for seudat shlishit or as appetizer, and for dessert either sugar free Jello or sugar free pudding (I am always parve because I am a vegetarian so for me it is a dessert for all occasions!).

I am sure there are other things but those have become my staples. I find if I surround myself with some good choices then when I have breakthrough hunger I will reach for something that is low cal, high Protein and filling so that I am making a good choice no matter what!

Gosh, i don't know. Maybe they said that as a precaution. What did you have to do for pulmonary clearance?

Do you eat lettuce salads? I read that with some people, lettuce tends to stick or even cover the opening so any other foods get stuck??? Maybe i should stop reading the forums....lol.

Your daily food sounds real good to me! I've always loved dairy products and always needed tons of sides with fleishig meals. Why don't you eat fruits? I love fruit.......are there any that are absolutely avoidable after surgery?

How much have you lost without fills? Do you think you'll want a fill?

What do you do when you go out to eat? I think that is what i most fear.....

I don't recall having to do anything beyond a chest x-ray. I still think that that sounds overly cautious. How old are your kids?

I have eaten lettuce a couple times in salads with a light dressing and have not had much of an issue, but it drives me crazy to have to chew it so much and since I am not a lettuce lover, I am totally happy with not having it anyway. I have a friend who sometimes gets stuck with lettuce and sometimes not. I think a lot has to do with what time of month it is since I have been told by my surgeon that some women are more sensitive (tight) right before and during their periods.

I don't eat fruits because they contain a lot of sugar. I had some cherries recently which was nice. I have heard some people have problems with the skins of things like peaches and nectarines and also with bananas because you can't really "break" it up by chewing. I had one smoothie which was nice because it was fruit and yogurt so I felt it was ok as a whole meal.

I kind of see my ordering in lunch every day as my "going out to eat" because my husband and I don't eat out anymore since he is on Atkins and I am banded. Just not worth it. You can definitely ask for half your order to be wrapped up right when you get it to control your portion. You can also ask them to substitute half of something for vegetables. I have seen that there is some card that people take with them to present at a place so they can order a smaller size but A) I think that is for certain specific non-Kosher places and B) I would rather ask to have half wrapped up than have a waiter who won't know what I am showing him and be embarassed for no reason trying to explain what I need.

BTW, if there is anything you feel you don't want to post in public and ask, feel free to send me a private message! :)