Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing up at work

Has anyone else had to vomit at work? I have a few times (still getting used to this fill) and it's like vomiting takes some master planning. The first time I went in the restroom and waited til someone left (they were S-L-O-W!!!). Then, luckily this time no one was in there. Anyone else have any good vomiting at work stories?

My 1st time was Tuesday, just had a new fill Friday and I was swollen. I work in a call center and was on a call when I felt it comming. The lady I was talking to just kept asking question after question and I knew that if I didn't end the call I would throw up while she was talking. Thank God she ended in just enough time for me to run to the bathroom and save the embarrasment for the next fill lol.

Oh man! Glad you made it in time. I just think I might throw up sometime with someone in there and it could spark a pregnancy rumor. Oh well... that will be quashed when I'm shrinking instead of growing! lol

My 1st time was Tuesday, just had a new fill Friday and I was swollen. I work in a call center and was on a call when I felt it comming. The lady I was talking to just kept asking question after question and I knew that if I didn't end the call I would throw up while she was talking. Thank God she ended in just enough time for me to run to the bathroom and save the embarrasment for the next fill lol.

That's why I make it a rule to NEVER eat at work! I just take Protein Shakes with me.

Haha! That's a great rule!

That's why I make it a rule to NEVER eat at work! I just take Protein shakes with me.

YES! Several times! And I'm a teacher, so it's not exactly easy to just leave the room if I need to go take care of things. That, and I'm lucky if I get even 25 minutes to eat so I try to take stuff for lunch that I know will go down easy. I've had several times when I was walking back to my classroom from lunch and had to have someone cover for me and go back to the faculty room. Once, I had a delayed stuck episode during my 1st grade class after lunch and there was nobody around to grab to cover for me. I ended up sitting at my desk while the kids were singing a song (I teach music) and upchucking into a paper towel and discreetly dumping it into the trash. I was so mortified, but luckily the kids didn't seem to notice (and since they're 6 or 7, and brutally honest, I'm sure they would've said something if they did!)

Oh man.... those delayed stuck episodes are the worst! I had that the other day at work (of course! lol). I was sitting there fine and then it was like..... ouch! ouch! ouch! Oh no.... I'm gonna throw up! Luckily I work in an office near the restrooms so I can just get up and walk away when needed. And yes, I believe 1st graders would definitely let you know if they noticed something (I have one brutally honest almost 2nd grader at home).

YES! Several times! And I'm a teacher, so it's not exactly easy to just leave the room if I need to go take care of things. That, and I'm lucky if I get even 25 minutes to eat so I try to take stuff for lunch that I know will go down easy. I've had several times when I was walking back to my classroom from lunch and had to have someone cover for me and go back to the faculty room. Once, I had a delayed stuck episode during my 1st grade class after lunch and there was nobody around to grab to cover for me. I ended up sitting at my desk while the kids were singing a song (I teach music) and upchucking into a paper towel and discreetly dumping it into the trash. I was so mortified, but luckily the kids didn't seem to notice (and since they're 6 or 7, and brutally honest, I'm sure they would've said something if they did!)

I have a desk job, and make sure to always have Water and an empty cup handy to throw up into if I can't make it to the bathroom in time. It's only happened a couple of times, but I'm fairly certain I can be quiet enough that no one around me is aware of what's happening. In any case, I eat REALLY slowly and stop as soon as I'm full, and that makes a huge difference.

When I was pregnant, I practically lived in the bathroom. When I announced my pregnancy at three months, our receptionist (who sat next to the bathrooms) said, "I wondered what was going on . . ."

I have a desk job, and make sure to always have Water and an empty cup handy to throw up into if I can't make it to the bathroom in time. It's only happened a couple of times, but I'm fairly certain I can be quiet enough that no one around me is aware of what's happening. In any case, I eat REALLY slowly and stop as soon as I'm full, and that makes a huge difference.

When I was pregnant, I practically lived in the bathroom. When I announced my pregnancy at three months, our receptionist (who sat next to the bathrooms) said, "I wondered what was going on . . ."

I hate to sound like the newbie I am :) I just got banded on 7/28, but, I thought it was a big no-no to vomit if you're banded. Is it that common that you feel a need to vomit? I don't mean to imply you or anyone is doing anything wrong, I'm wondering how careful I need to be myself in the future with avoiding vomiting. I work in an office, and I wouldn't want to get stuck and need to vomit at work, but, is it that common that you feel a need to vomit after you've been banded for awhile? Any advice greatly appreciated, and thank you all for sharing your stories, they really do help someone like me :)

It is a no-no to vomit. It can cause band slippage and other problems, especially when you're newly banded and still healing. That said, it's not terribly uncommon to feel like you need to (what lots of people refer to as a "productive burp"). If you are eating too quickly, or not chewing well enough, or are too tight (which might be influenced by things like time of day or hormonal changes), you can get things stuck in the band. When that happens, you can wait for things to pass or have them come back up. Neither is particularly pleasant.

It's fairly unusual for me now to feel like I need to vomit, but that's partly because I am very careful with what and how I eat. I take my time (am usually the last person at the table to finish a meal) and chew carefully, which makes a huge difference. For me, the biggest problem is distracted eating. I have to pay attention to my meal to make sure I'm taking my time.

I eat Snacks at my desk during the day, and it's usually yogurt so getting things caught isn't an issue. I also drink Water constantly (except directly before/during/after food), so I always have Water at my desk. I've also learned that keeping an empty cup there is easy insurance--it's downright rare that I would use it for anything, but I like knowing it's there if I find myself in a pickle.

I also never eat in the car. Combine the distracted thing with the inability to easily throw up should the need arise, it's just not worth it to me. :)

I hope this makes sense. It's not a common occurrence, but chances are, it'll happen. It's good to be prepared. And if you never have to deal with it, consider yourself lucky.

(And the pregnancy-throwing-up thing, in retrospect, was probably caused by a band slippage as much as morning sickness. We just didn't realize it until later.)