Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Donating a kidney post- lap band.

Hi all,

I was banded December/09. I am 25 lbs away from my goal weight, and I LOVE my band. I have been having tests in the last several months to see if I am eligible to donate a kidney. Every single person I spoke to in the transplant process has said that the lap-band will not be affected by the laporascopic surgery to remove a kidney... that is, until I spoke to the actual transplant surgeon. He says there is a high likelihood that once he opens me up, he may have to do a traditional surgery (large opening) insteand of laporascopic because of the band and port. He also says there is a 50% chance that my band will either have to be removed or will no longer work. Ack! I do not want my own quality of life to suffer, even though I desparately want to help someone else with the gift of a kidney.

Are there any bandsters out there who have donated a kidney? What was your experience? Does your band still work? Was your operation done laporascopically? I need to make an informed decision here. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

I would not jeopardize my lapband to donate a kidney or anything else unless it was a life and death emergency for a loved one. Is there an intended recipient or are you doing an anonymous donation?

Donating an organ to a family member is one thing I think most people can understand, Donating an organ anonymously is one of the most selfless acts of man kind. Whether you know the recipient or not - it does not lessen the patient's need for the organ nor the family of that person's desperation for that organ to become available. As a parent I cannot imagine the desperate/helpless feeling you must have watching your child (no matter how old) go through something like that and not being able to 'make it better'. The fact that you are even considering this proves you are an extraordinary soul and evidence that there are in fact angels that walk among us. When it comes down to it.... its your body, ultimately its your decision to make for whatever reason you choose to donate or choose not to you are the one that has to live with that decision and everything comes with it. (All the good and bad) But for the record... I just want to say, ( just for even considering this donation) the world is a better place with you in it. :thankyou:

Hi all,

I was banded December/09. I am 25 lbs away from my goal weight, and I LOVE my band. I have been having tests in the last several months to see if I am eligible to donate a kidney. Every single person I spoke to in the transplant process has said that the lap-band will not be affected by the laporascopic surgery to remove a kidney... that is, until I spoke to the actual transplant surgeon. He says there is a high likelihood that once he opens me up, he may have to do a traditional surgery (large opening) insteand of laporascopic because of the band and port. He also says there is a 50% chance that my band will either have to be removed or will no longer work. Ack! I do not want my own quality of life to suffer, even though I desparately want to help someone else with the gift of a kidney.

Are there any bandsters out there who have donated a kidney? What was your experience? Does your band still work? Was your operation done laporascopically? I need to make an informed decision here. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Donating an organ to a family member is one thing I think most people can understand, Donating an organ anonymously is one of the most selfless acts of man kind. Whether you know the recipient or not - it does not lessen the patient's need for the organ nor the family of that person's desperation for that organ to become available. As a parent I cannot imagine the desperate/helpless feeling you must have watching your child (no matter how old) go through something like that and not being able to 'make it better'. The fact that you are even considering this proves you are an extraordinary soul and evidence that there are in fact angels that walk among us. When it comes down to it.... its your body, ultimately its your decision to make for whatever reason you choose to donate or choose not to you are the one that has to live with that decision and everything comes with it. (All the good and bad) But for the record... I just want to say, ( just for even considering this donation) the world is a better place with you in it. :thankyou:

I agree but there are other ways to make a difference without risking your own well being. I've been on the National Bone Marrow Registry for about 15 years. I've never been called on to donate but would not hesitate if I was a match for someone in need.

My suggestion is to talk to your lap band surgeon about it and get his opinion. Maybe he'd be willing to be present during the kidney removal surgery so that he can take care of your band ????

That's what I'd do too, call in your lap band doc. I had a huge sugery last November, but it was to remove my rectum and part of my colon and create an ileostomy, so it wasnt quite so close to the band as the kidneys are. But surely, they'd take your right kidney, not your left? As far away from your band as possible?

Its all in the skill of the surgeon, I was just amazingly lucky that a) I got into to see probably the most respected colorectal surgeon in Melbourne and B) that he'd spent the earlier part of his career working with Prof. O'Brien doing lapbands. He understood what he was dealing with, but he told me there were no guarantees, that the tubing can be troublesome, it can be almost anywhere in the abdomen and adhered to things. Nonetheless, my surgery was laparascopic. I was instructed to unfill my band prior, which I did. I spent the next six months with it unfilled and at various times it still reminded me it was there. I started refilling and just last week, I had my ileostomy reversed, with fill in place. I've been maybe marginally tighter for this past week or two whilst my tummy is a bit bloated, but nothing major. Its been absolutely fine.

Truthfully, if you're 25lb from goal then you're going to be easy to operate on (my colorectal surgeon never shut up about how glad he was to have someone thin to work on for a change). This should be able to be done laparascopically barring major complications or oddities with your band. Surgeons actually do have clearer vision and better access in a thinner body and your condition will increase your likelihood of not having to be opened up.

By the way, you're amazing.

Then please forgive me, Cindy... I misread your first post thinking it said something like -you wouldn't jeopardize your band for an organ donation unless it was a life and death situation for a loved one.

Sometimes making a difference is doing the one thing that most people would call crazy and in doing so... they can make the BIGGEST difference in someone else's life.

I agree but there are other ways to make a difference without risking your own well being. I've been on the National Bone Marrow Registry for about 15 years. I've never been called on to donate but would not hesitate if I was a match for someone in need.

Then please forgive me, Cindy... I misread your first post thinking it said something like -you wouldn't jeopardize your band for an organ donation unless it was a life and death situation for a loved one.

Sometimes making a difference is doing the one thing that most people would call crazy and in doing so... they can make the BIGGEST difference in someone else's life.

No, you are right. I did say that. I honestly can't say that I would donate a kidney to a stranger if it meant losing my band. If it was for a sibling I would do it in a heartbeat. Bone marrow donation is far less invasive and life threatening than major organ donation although it can be just as life saving but it would not jeopardize a lap band.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I don't feel like I am anything special because I want to donate a kidney. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea to consider organ donation. It's just something I feel could make a profound difference in someone's quality of life and life expectancy. I don't have a sick sibling or anything, I was going to be a live anonymous donor. I agree with Cindy, that if I did have a sick sibling, I would not hesitate, lap band or not. But I don't have a sick sibling or sick child and I have realized over the course of the last week that I cannot jeopardize my band to donate anonymously. If my band was removed and I gained all my weight back, I would be close to suicidal. That's sure not going to help the old karma bank account!

Having said that, it looks like my glomerular filtration rate (which measures the effectiveness of your kidneys) is borderline for a donation anyway. I am awaiting the results of one more test to make sure. So the decision may be made for me, which, if I am honest is a relief, but also a huge disappointment for me.

I am also on the bone marrow registry but have never been called upon. I donate blood products regularly. I will have to find another way to make a meaningful contribution, other than a kidney donation.

Thanks for all your blessings.

Wow, how is this for a coincidence? I've been on the National Marrow Registry for over 16 years and never been called upon to donate. Now, after having discussed it in this thread I got a letter today stating that I may be a match for a patient in need of a transplant! I immediately called the number and got the ball rolling. I should be getting a phone call in the next few weeks. It may sound strange, but I really hope that I get the opportunity to do this!

Congratulations Cindy - I hope everything goes well!

Katphill: As for anyone who reads this thread... (even though I know your decision may already be made for you)

Yes the chance of them having to do an open surgery is there, however it is slim. Many people, including myself, have had an organ removed after lap band without issues to the band - without even being unfilled. As long as you have a skilled surgeon and they have a consult with your LapBand surgeon first then you should be fine.