Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So am I just being too picky with these darn protein shakes?

They all suck. I've tried 2 dif kinds of Atkins, eas, Bariatric Advantage, musc milk and oh yeah. Is it too mucn to ask for a Protein Drink that does not reek of a chemically taste in your mouth. My banded friend said the BA shakes remind her of an ice cream shake. What in the world is she thinking??!! Has it just been too long since shes had a REAL shake? Im freaking out bc I need a shake I like!!

Everyone tastes the shakes differently- the kind I love, someone else will say tastes horrible. It's frustrating but once you find one you like, you'll be thrilled!

Agree the Bariatric Advantage suck. Though I hear they have a new "Orange-vanilla" flavor.

Sorry, I dont have any recommendation. I had already bought the BA mix so I had to suffer through them pre and post. I have 2 bags left over...gonna try to sell them for a big discount at my next support group to someone who is pre-surgery.

I have actually found that the generic versions taste so much better than the name brands. My favorite so far is the Kroger generic brand. I also had diet a & w root beer with 4 ice cubes and 2 scoops of vanilla blended together and that was pretty good. Good Luck:)

I personally like Unjury brand. You can get a sample package on their website. I tried Bariatric Advantage and wanted to vomit too.

Have you tried the Myoplex kind? I also found other shakes to be awful but the Myoplex one has really grown on me!

Have you tried the Myoplex kind? I also found other shakes to be awful but the Myoplex one has really grown on me!

HMR 800 - expensive but delish.

Welcome to the club! lol It took me a while to find one that I could actually tolerate 4x a day! & ur tastebuds will change too. Right now I use the Walmart vanilla black top, it is actually doable mixed with milk. and it is only $19.99! i have had the expensive ones and don't care for them. Good luck! Unjury chix Soup Protein powder is good also,

I like the Jillian Michaels Protein powder. I have not tried the chocolate, but I got the vanilla so that I can flavor it different ways. I really like it. I add a few marachino cherries w/ a bit of the juice and it is quite tasty. Have added coconut flavoring too. I always blend ice with it. If you add some low fat yogurt instead of just milk/water, it's creamier. I hope you find something you can live with.:)

All of the premade ones are nasty. I just mix Protein powder with carnation instant Breakfast. I have also found that the straight whey doesn't dissolve very well so I get the whey/soy combo.

My Dr didnt give me a choice. Part of the plan is the Optifast shakes. 2 weeks before surgery I backed my car up in the loading area of the building and they loaded 3 cases of ready to drink chocolate bricks into my car and told me to drink 5 per day, 8 glasses of Water and supplement with reduced sodiam broth and sugar free popsicles. I waved excitedly and drove away.... promising to come back in 2 weeks for my preop weigh in.

The first 4 days I wanted to die. It was Thanksgiving weekend, I did a cold turkey on my beloved diet coke not to mention every other comfort food associated with the holiday. I had a headache from hell for 4 days (thanks caffine).

But by monday I started adding ice to the shake and getting creative with the blender and it wasnt so bad. I woke up on Tuesday and saw that I really did have ankles which were sadly disguised by Water retention. I also jumped on the scale and saw I was losing weight. I knew then it was tolerable. B)

I have had a really hard time finding shakes I like, as well. I tried samples from unjury, Bariatric fusion, Syntrax nectar, and at least two others. I kept researching online and finally saw a post recommending Body Fortress chocolate flavor, saying it tasted similar to chocolate Nesquik. It's available at Walmart for about $15 for a 2 lb container. I decided to give it a try, and it turned out to be tolerable. It's still got an aftertaste, and there's no mistaking it for an ice cream shake LOL.

I've experimented with it to try and make it taste a little better. I mix it with 6 oz milk instead of 8 oz, because then there's less to drink (which is good since I don't love it...but if I loved it I'd make it with 8 oz milk). I tried adding a tablespoon of Hershey's cocoa to it and that did help improve the flavor. The most recent thing I tried was adding 1 tablespoon of sugar-free fat-free instant chocolate pudding mix to it and that actually helped quite a lot. It made it more chocolate-y tasting and did not have as much of an aftertaste.

I purchased the vanilla flavor and I don't like it as much, but I'm going to try to add some instant pudding flavors to it and see how that works. I am six weeks post-op but I still need Protein shakes some days. Sometimes I have them for breakfast because they're fast, and some days I work 16 hrs but rarely get time to sit and have a meal so I drink one or two during the day to keep me going.

I've tried freezing milk in ice cube trays and using about 4 cubes (they're about 1 oz each) and then 2-4 oz milk to make a smoothie style drink. It didn't improve the flavor any but it changes the texture so it might be worth a shot to help you drink them.

Once you get past the pre-op and immediate post-op phase, you won't have to rely on Protein Shakes nearly as much. Most people can get their Protein needs met by their food intake, but it's still good to find a Protein Shake you can tolerate to have available if you have an off day or for the day or so after a fill when you need to go back to liquids.

Oh, and also - I emailed Body Fortress to see if they had samples and they don't, but they sent me a coupon for $5 off.

They all suck. I've tried 2 dif kinds of Atkins, eas, Bariatric Advantage, musc milk and oh yeah. Is it too mucn to ask for a Protein drink that does not reek of a chemically taste in your mouth. My banded friend said the BA shakes remind her of an ice cream shake. What in the world is she thinking??!! Has it just been too long since shes had a REAL shake? Im freaking out bc I need a shake I like!!

I'm worried about that exact same thing. First off they are soo dang expensive and they usually come in 4-6 packs. I bought a couple Protein Time? shakes tonight at

Meijer since they were buy 2 get 1 free but they were over $2 a piece. I think because I know what a REAL shake tastes like that anything else is going to be

yucky. I start pre-op liquids on Wed. I think I'm going to have to use the powder with frozen fruit or Peanut Butter, etc. per the recipes our Dr. office gave us.

I can send you some if you don't have any. Read over posts that people replied to my requests earlier on this same topic. Let me know if you find one you like.

I heard that they sell single cans at some Gas Stations so I'm going to check this out tomorrow. I don't want to be frustrated on my first day so I'm trying to plan ahead for options. Hang in there.