Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band for 62 year old

Hi, I am going for my first seminar 4 days after my 62nd birthday. Can anyone in this age group tell me about your surgery and if age is an issue? I am healthy except for issues caused by my excess weight (knee pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fatty liver).

Hi, I am going for my first seminar 4 days after my 62nd birthday. Can anyone in this age group tell me about your surgery and if age is an issue? I am healthy except for issues caused by my excess weight (knee pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fatty liver).

I am 58 and see the surgeon monday-- but he has a patient 73 who was banded at 69 cause she was in good health except weight stuff.. Your surgeon will let you know if he has any concerns, age is not a biggie if you have not big probs

I CAN TELL YOU THAT MY MOTHER IN LAW HAD HER SURGERY ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND SHE WAS IN HER MID SIXTYS. HER DR WOULD ONLY PERFORM BOTH THE LAP BAND AND THE BY-PASS AT THE SAME TIME!

I WAS SO WORRIED ABOUT HER..SHE IS DOING GREAT..WEARING A SIZE 10 AND EATS VERY VERY HEALTHY.

:P

I just had my lapband one week ago and I am 60 yrs old...like you I was concerned.

No major problems to report except behavior modification...guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks??

Seriously tho...if all your tests blood heart etc are ok...go for it!!

Good luck

I am 58. Been banded 2 1/2 yrs and down 90 pds. I had everything, borderline diabetic, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, arthritis in knees and tendenitis in feet, you name it I had it or was on the verge of getting it! I am down from size 22-24 to a size 10 (sometimes size 8), off of all meds and look and feel like a 20 yr old. I can't remember feeling this great and bouncing in my every step of my daily walk. Never regretted it and I never even thought about age, except that my insurance at work only covers this up to age 62. Good luck and don't give it a second thought. If the dr says you are a good candidate, go for it, I did and never regretted it.

Hi Wintergreen: I am 63 yrs old and was banded on Monday. I too was concerned about the age. I researched this for a long time and finally decided to do it. I'm so glad i did it. The surgery was not bad at all. Minimal pain. Up and walking four hours after surgery. I at first was denied by insurance last summer......so I put it on the back burner. After the new year I appealed and got approved. Now I really had to decide since the ins. only gave me till August to do this. I made the right decision for me. Good Luck and if you have any questions pls contact me. CAT

I think its briliiant - it could add a LOT to your quality of life as you get older - and likely mean that you WILL get older!

my mom is 62 and getting banded on Thursday!!!! Her Doctors were fine with her age and think it is a great decision for her long term health!!! My mom has RA and her weight really affects her joints... Hope this helps a bit and good luck with wherever your journey takes you!

Well, I am 67 and so far it doesn't seem to contribute to any problems that the younger do not have. I have the same probllems you listed plus heart stents, diabetes and a cancer survivor. I felt and still do theband is

a great tool! It is not without its challenges but I am growing through those. It is not fast so our skin gets to catch up which is good at our age. I was banded the end of April. I have lost 35lbs, maybe more. I have much more energy, can move more easily, some of my meds have been cut including insulin, the doctors are pleased. Is it all roses? No as you will see from the boards but we support each other through the difficult times. Seems like the majority, big majority would do it again and happy to have a lifetime tool. Good luck to you!

Well, I am 67 and so far it doesn't seem to contribute to any problems that the younger do not have. I have the same probllems you listed plus heart stents, diabetes and a cancer survivor. I felt and still do theband is

a great tool! It is not without its challenges but I am growing through those. It is not fast so our skin gets to catch up which is good at our age. I was banded the end of April. I have lost 35lbs, maybe more. I have much more energy, can move more easily, some of my meds have been cut including insulin, the doctors are pleased. Is it all roses? No as you will see from the boards but we support each other through the difficult times. Seems like the majority, big majority would do it again and happy to have a lifetime tool. Good luck to you!

Agree totally Laurence: Had my surgery last Monday 7/25 and am so happy I did it. Was really hesitant b'cause of my age but I did really well so far. Surgery not bad at all. Looking forward to being healthier from the weight loss. CAT