Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Works For You?

Hi there,

I've been banded since Feb. 25th and am doing ok. Weight is coming off VERY slowly. I know I've seen it on here before but can't seem to find it now...for the successful bandsters out there...what is working for you? What things do you do that you find make you successful? Any tips would be great! Thanks :)

In no particular order:

• I don't keep "crap" in the house! (Although there's more now while my son is home from college for the summer but I'm doing pretty good at staying away from it.)
  • When I think I'm hungry, I wait 15-20 minutes to see if its physical hunger or just head hunger.
  • I never eat just because the clock says it's time.
  • I use small plates and silverware. This makes me eat less and take smaller bites.
  • If the TV is on, the fridge is off limits.
  • I keep my before picture on the front of the fridge. It makes me stop and think before opening the door.
  • I NEVER drink calories!! (With the exception of Protein Shakes and maybe the occasional cocktail.)
  • Regular exercise. It doesn't always have to be a rigorous gym workout. Yard work, walk, clean the house, play with the dogs etc. Just keep the body moving.
  • Stay well hydrated. I usually have a glass of something handy..water, iced tea, s/f whatever.
  • I try to stay focused on things that are not food related. Pick a sports team and follow them...get involved in politics...volunteer at your child's school or a senior center...throw yourself into your career....it doesn't matter what it is just keep the mind focused.
  • Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum.
  • Track food and exercise.
  • I keep a spreadsheet on my computer of my weight every week along with any other medical information...doctor's appointments, fills/unfills, menstrual cycle, mammogram, pap etc.
  • GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!! Whether I think I need a fill or not, I always keep my lapband appointments. For the first 2+ years, I went every single month. Now I go every 2-3 months.
  • Mix it up. The body has a mind of its own. If you do the same thing everyday, your body will know what to expect and you won't lose as well. Once every week or two, kick the calories up. Change your activities. Cardio one day, weights the next.
  • Have fun!! Get the gang together and find somewhere that's having "Ladies Night" and go dance your a** off. Camaraderie and its good exercise.
  • Keep a positive mental attitude! I always look at the bright side, no matter how hard it is to find.
  • Don't linger in bed. When I wake up I get up, even if it's 6am and I have nowhere to be. (Like today!)
  • I find that regular chiropractic adjustments keep my body and mind working at optimal levels. I realize that some people don't "believe in" chiropractics but then again some people don't "believe in" lapband either. We all know that they are wrong!

I could probably come up with a few more but I'm still on my first cup of coffee. Besides, I think I've babbled long enough. Hope some of this helps!

In no particular order:

• I don't keep "crap" in the house! (Although there's more now while my son is home from college for the summer but I'm doing pretty good at staying away from it.)
  • When I think I'm hungry, I wait 15-20 minutes to see if its physical hunger or just head hunger.
  • I never eat just because the clock says it's time.
  • I use small plates and silverware. This makes me eat less and take smaller bites.
  • If the TV is on, the fridge is off limits.
  • I keep my before picture on the front of the fridge. It makes me stop and think before opening the door.

Cindy C I am copy/pasting this and putting it on my refrigerator!

LOL!! Feel free!

LOL!! Feel free!

Cindy C - so appreciated :)

me tooo !! thanks for Sharing =)

• If it's not meal time and I feel hungry, or I just want to eat something, I drink. For me it's Decaf chai sweetened with Splenda. I think because it's hot and I can't just chug it, it takes time to drink and puts something in my stomach and by the time I'm done with it I'm usually over the urge to eat.
  • As I'm eating a meal I constantly ask myself "am I really still hungry, or do I just want to eat more?" It's really hard to stop eating if there's still food in front of you, so you need to move that food FAST before the voice in your head catches up to your mouth!
  • When I take my chewable Fiber and Calcium after a meal, it feels like dessert. You know... it's sweet, and a little fruity. How sad is that?

• As I'm eating a meal I constantly ask myself "am I really still hungry, or do I just want to eat more?" It's really hard to stop eating if there's still food in front of you, so you need to move that food FAST before the voice in your head catches up to your mouth!

Rachel I am the same way...if there is food in front of me I just keep eating...especially since I have barely any restriction at this point!

I have to just get up and walk away!!

Rachel I am the same way...if there is food in front of me I just keep eating...especially since I have barely any restriction at this point!

I have to just get up and walk away!!

That's a really hard thing to get past, especially since we were made to eat everything on our plates growing up. My new theory is "better to go to waste than to go to waist!"

Of course I am only 3 weeks post op but this is what helps me -

• 3 meals a day if I snack it is usually 1x a day and my choice is sugar free Jello or sugar free posicle - now that watermelon season is here I am going to have watermelon
  • LOTS AND LOTS of liquid- Sugar free only no calorie drinks 9Sugar Free Crystal lite- Kool Aide - Hawain punch and plain old Water is great in this HOT Texas weather (Sugar Free Hawain Punch is sweet so takes any sweet cravings away~ I was a big sweet eater)
  • Protein as main food -keeps me satisfied- have some fruit in the am with Breakfast and lucnh, veggie with dinner
  • Very few carbs - I love Sweet Potatoes so if I really want potatoes I choose Sweet vs White
  • Excercise daily - like someone above posted anything to keep your body moving for a period of time
  • Use small plates- bowls and my grandson sppon and fork
  • If I feel "head hungry" I will usually sip on something till i figure out if it is real hunger - if it is I eat
  • Keep myself busy - reading- walking or do my needlepoint instead of previous habit of bored - watching TV and eating a bag of chips or Cookies
  • I do not focus on food all day such waht will I eat - when can I eat etc.

Hope this helps :) Good luck

I was banded almost 2 years ago and I've lost a total of 80lbs SO FAR. That also included a 5-month period with zero restriction (I gained 20lbs back), followed by another surgery to correct the leaky tubing that caused the zero restriction.

There have been times where I've been stressed, I would eat crap, and not lose anything. Or very little. It really wasn't until April of this year that I kind of said, "What the hell?" to myself and started really losing the weight a little faster. Prior to that, I had lost 50lbs (also taking into effect the 20lbs I gained, which means I had really lost 70lbs), So since April I've lost 30lbs.

What works for me? Calorie counting. I eat 1,200 calories a day and I'd say most of what I eat is healthy. About 3 weeks ago I cut out chocolate/desserts/sweets and alcohol. Not to say I'll never eat/drink those things again, but I'm trying to do it as little as possible. I have a Protein shake for Breakfast every morning, then a snack, then lunch, then a snack, then dinner. Snacks being carrots, nuts, etc.... I have to say that I find it to be incredibly easy for me at this point. It wasn't easy when I first got the band. I still wanted to eat bad foods and I still felt hungry. But right now, I am so completely focused on eating well. And while I have no temptations at home (I only have healthy foods in the house), the job where I spend 9 hours a day (5 days a week) is awful! There is a "candy drawer" 2 feet from my desk with bags and bags of candy. People will bring in donuts, pies, cakes, brownies, etc.... And I haven't touched them! I never thought I could get to a point where it became easy for me to resist food. It takes a while, but I think you eventually get to a point where you can separate food from being an emotional crutch. Or at least I did. When you can't binge or eat your feelings away, knowing it is painful to get stuck, you learn to stop doing that. I love food, I always will, but it doesn't control me anymore. My life doesn't revolve around it. I like to eat, but I don't think about food all day.

I've been feeling awesome. I can see and feel the differences in my body, at last. When you're heavy, even when losing a lot of weight, you still don't really notice it that much. You may buy smaller sizes, but you still feel fat. I've been wearing the clothes that I wore 30lbs ago, which were already loose at the time. Last weekend I bought some more form-fitting tops. I'd say at least 30 people have commented or freaked out about how different I look and how thinner I am. Even my own family hadn't really seen me in form fitting clothes for a while. That's a great feeling.

I still feel like I'm fat, though. I know I still have more to lose. I'm now "overweight" instead of "obese" (that occurred about 8lbs ago). People tell me that I look smaller than I actually am. Someone today asked what size I wore. I said I'm currently in a size 15 jeans (juniors), but I do actually fit into a size 13 (which is a size 12 in ladies). She said I look smaller than that. I mean, wow! I'm 28. I haven't been a size 13 since I was.... 17?

I also weigh my food, if possible, to know exactly how many calories I'm consuming. What I do takes a lot of time and effort and I think most people aren't willing to devote that much time to preparing meals. When I make complete meals, I weigh ingredients. I calculate the weight of the entire dish and divide it into portions of equal weight.

I actually find it to be fun to record my calories for the day and try to get the balance of protein/fat/carbs. But then again, I'm weird, and I also alphabetize my spice cabinet. It's really funny at work because my co-workers think I'm some freak of nature because of it (not in a bad way). They constantly ask me how much items weigh or their calorie content. Or they'll sit and watch me take apart a pre-made salad and weigh each separate item.

What has been working for me:

Counting Calories - I use MyFitnessPal on my iPhone. It has allowed me to really take stock in what I put into my body. It helps to focus you on getting good calories in.

Giving up the whites - No sugar, no flour and no white rice. I just stay away from the above. You begin to not miss them as you keep at it.

Hitting the gym - at least 4 days a week. 40 min of cardio and 20 min of weights.

No fried foods or junk - I guess it is easy to assume I won't be enjoying that deep fried snickers this summer at the fair.

Support - having good support from family and friends is essential.

Lots of Water - I try to drink 3 liters a day.

Healthy attitude - it helps to to think healthy, to have the right mentality helps out so much. Knowing your weaknesses also allows you to avoid traps and pitfalls.