Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am really upset. When I decided to get the surgery, I planned on letting the people closest to me know about it. I did tell a bunch of people, but they were the people that I CHOSE to tell. Well, my sister-in-law told her mother (who unfortunately has a big mouth so I can only imagine how many people know) and now my aunt calls me today asking me a bunch of questions about the surgery because my dad told her....I cannot understand how people do not get it when you tell them "keep this between me and you - i don't want anyone to know"???

I truly regret sharing the news with my sister-in-law and father. I know none of this was done viciously...they are both not the type that would intentionally set out to hurt me, but I just wish they would have respected my privacy. I guess shame on me for blabbing. Maybe I am overreacting???

First of all congrats on your progress so far. For the topic at hand, yes it's dissapointing when people don't keep confidences but that's just the way people are, we as a species seem to love to gossip. I believe you are right and agree that lapse in trust was not meant to be mean and I hope that everyone who now knows your secret is cherring you on. At any rate, don't let it get you down cause you are doing the work here with a little help from the band, but ultimately is's you. So I repeat the congrats and wish you well.

Thanks so much bigtom...Congrats & Good luck to you too on your journey :)

This sounds just like my family! Except it was my mom who told people. She also didn't do it to be mean but it is like I told her..........this is my journey and I should be able to tell my good news when I want. But, there is nothing we can do! They are just excited for us. Congratulations on your success.

Thanks everyone....I actually just had surgery about 4 and half months ago so I am still kind of getting used to the idea and still dont feel ready to share with everyone, but yes, it is probably time to move on :)

I completely relate...for me it was my DH and MIL who spilled the Beans. As a matter of fact I added a post to my blog today about this very subject. There is nothing you can do to change the fact that it is out there so hold your head up and move forward.

Best of luck to you!

make one letter- send everyone a copy and ask for encouragement and thank you very much, the good thing is all news good or bad gets OLD in 30 days :Deverybody be on the next flavor of the day.

Well I'm glad to see your in onederland ! That's Great !

I understand how you feel. I chose to spread the good news, and got nothing but insults for it.

Don't you have any willpower, can't you do it on your own etc The list goes on, but not one person said... I wish you look or something positive.

I guess you learned though. If you want to keep it a secret, don't tell anyone.

Otherwise blah ,blah, blah., and I'm sure a little more gets added to it.

So next time,,,, I wouldn't say a Damn thing.

My second time around I have not told anyone except the people on here. It's my business, and if they want to Gossip and say "does it look like she's losing weight?"

That's up to them. But it's not my problem.

Congrats again, and Good Luck, Shirley.

That sounds like my family too! They will gossip and spread it like there is no tomorrow.

That is why.....my husband is the only one who knows !

I have been eating right, working out and people relate my weight loss with just that. I would understand if I were to drop ten pounds in a week and people start questioning. But thanks to the band, the weight loss is gradual and very natural.

Next time.. I wouldn't share anything with anyone if you know that's their nature. It will all be okay :)

Good luck !