Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Counting VS Smaller Portion Sizes

As I progress into eating more mushie/soft foods, I am wondering what approach would be the best to take. I do keep calories in mind and watch them too, but I am mostly just concentrating on smaller portions. I mean I wouldn't make a meal out of a dab of cheesecake, a dab of chocolate pie, a dab of ice cream,etc! I try to be smart about my food choices. What approach works best for you guys long term?

My nutritionist wants us to watch portions and not pay attention to calories, but it's pretty hard!

I really think it comes down to what works for you, and sometimes a combination. I think that the idea of portion size with smart choices is a good idea because once you learn to eat healthier we would want it to be "second nature" that we eat right in smaller portions. That said, sometimes calorie counting is in order. I do the smart choices/smaller portions until I stall -- then it's time to rethink what I am eating/drinking and count calories/journal my food until I am back on a food plan that helps me lose weight.

I think it boils down to what works for you, and trying different things until you get it right. We have to do something that we can live with for the rest of our lives.

~Fran

I agree with Rachel.,,My nutritionist also told me to not focus on calories, but portion size instead. It is so hard because that's the first thing I look for is the calories! But Portion Control is very very important.

I was self pay and didn't have to see a nutritionist. Sometimes it makes it harder for me because I feel clueless. My doctor is really good, but I don't like to drown her with questions that I know I can get answered on here. You guys are living with the band everyday and offer good advice. I am watching portions for now and then might have to step back when I quit losing to see what I need to knock out of my diet. I'm still not on regular foods yet, so it's kind of hard to keep up with the little bit I'm eating. Ready for things to get back to as normal as they ever will!

I count calories and when I had my last appt with my surgeon he told me that his most successful patients all count calories. Watching portion sizes works for some people but I'm way too anal retentive for that to work for me ;)

I count every calorie that enters my mouth. My nutrionist wants us to eat around 1,200 per day. I have been doing that since pre-op and have been really successful so far. I use myfitnesspal.com

I counted calories and protien for the first 4 months or so postop. Now I don't track anything. It started to feel too much like a diet for me. I got into a routine in terms of my meals and planned Snacks. I was successful in loosing all my excess weight, 107 pounds in about 10 months. I agree, everyone needs to find what works for them. Good luck!

When I journal my food on myfitnesspal.com , I look up what I am going to have for dinner.

It tells me my 4oz portion size, and what the calories, and Protein are. I then continue to figure

out my journal. But the 2 go hand in hand for me.

Or it can cause a problem, In that case I will have something else. So journal first, then eat.

Don't forget to journal your exercise.

I am not a counter or a journaler these days. I was in the beginning but as someone else said, ut felt too much lil a diet, not a lifestyle. Im happy with my results but everyone has to do what works for them. I also exercise quite a bit!

I, also, started journaling to keep track of my calories. It drove me nutty. I am doing Portion Control. I use a salad or dessert plate for my meals. I use a salad fork to eat with..I started, originally, using a toddler fork, but then a switched to a salad type. I have been at this for 2 years so can pretty much know what I am able to eat. For instance, I might have 1 piece fish, a small scoop of veggies, and a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for my dinner. It still makes the salad plate look big, but my stomach, and head, know that that is all I can eat. Good luck with whatever keeps you "sane" and helps you loose. Karen :D

As I progress into eating more mushie/soft foods, I am wondering what approach would be the best to take. I do keep calories in mind and watch them too, but I am mostly just concentrating on smaller portions. I mean I wouldn't make a meal out of a dab of cheesecake, a dab of chocolate pie, a dab of ice cream,etc! I try to be smart about my food choices. What approach works best for you guys long term?

I'm a calorie counter from way back, too. So it was hard to for me, too, to ignore. But after a month of soft foods, I tallied up the calories per day and was only taking in 500/cal day!

But starting month two, I could increase my portions, and add fruits, veggies, and more semi solids. So now it is up to about 800/cal day. My dr. said that in month two, the "ballpark" number of calories is 800-1000.

So as long as you are following your doctor's plan, it seems to work out the way it's supposed to--they've been at this lap band thing way longer than we have!

Good luck to you!