Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice! I'm not losing weight!

I have been banded for about 4 years now and honestly haven't had a ton of success with it. I fluctuate with my weight and have tried everything from weight watchers, exercise, medifast, diet pills in addition to my band but the weight isn't coming off.

I honestly had different expectations for my post-op success when I was banded and while I live comfortably with the band I don't necessarily use it to my advantage which is why I have decided to dig a little deeper with these forums. I do have my band filled and when I went under for surgery I was pretty close to the insurance BMI cut off meaning that if I gained or lost weight I wouldn't be covered for the surgery by insurance. I am open to any and all feedback considering I do want to lose but haven't had much success with the band.

I don't want to abandon the band completely because I know a ton of people who have had success with it but for some reason I am not getting any!

Ideas? Suggestions?

I am all ears.

1. Start tracking everything you eat. Use an online database such as myfitnesspal, fitday, etc.

2. Invest in a digital scale; weigh every single thing you eat. Everything.

3. Focus on getting at least 60g of Protein a day; the more the better. I get no less than 130g per day. Maybe try low carb; not needed but works for many.

4. Exercise; even if it's just walking, at least 3 times a week.

5. Hold yourself accountable.

6. Get a fill if you need one.

7. Speak to your surgeon, if possible, if you haven't recently.

It's been awhile since I have spoken to my surgeon. I have been going for fills but haven't had one in over a year.

Thanks for the tips. I feel like I am starting over on square one with the band and could use some refreshers.

I typically go walking in the mornings or evenings with my wife, but feel like I could always do more.

Everything Reverie said, and I would add:

Exercise 30 minutes every day. It doesn't have to be "knock yourself out at the gym", just move MORE than you usually do. Heck, I've been known to do squats while on hold on the phone. My kids laugh at me as I do lunges across the kitchen putting away silverware. Sometimes I take 1 item from the dryer at a time to put away.. everything extra counts. If you can get to the gym.. great, but it's not necessary.

If walking with your wife is already part of your routine, your body is used to that and you will have to either add more time or walk at a faster rate if walking is your preferred exercise. Walking is what I started with, but I was SMO (super morbidly obese) and it was about all I could do. After 7 months, I started using a treadmill at a gym and now take several classes there.

Would you be interested in eventually moving from walking to running? Look at the Couch to 5 K program (www.c25k.com). Weight lifting is great for building muscle and increasing the metabolism. I do body pump or group power at my gym. It's a fun class and along with the strengthening, I get to socialize. Drag your wife along too. :)

Get in 64oz minimum of Water or other very very low calorie Fluid a day. If I'm drinking other than Water, I try to keep it at 10 calories per 16 oz. I also try to get in 80 to 100 oz of Fluid, but 64oz is the minimum I drink. This is above and beyond my morning coffee.

being a "light-weight" bandster, acknowledge that you're not going to see the dramatic weight loss that some others do. Try taking your measurements monthly, preferrably before working out and wearing the same clothing. You may be reshaping when the scale doesn't move much.

Going in for a band check if you haven't been in a year is a good idea. Bands can sometimes lose a teeny bit of fluid over time and you may need a "topping up".

Hang in there!!

As usual I agree with everything Rev says. She is wise. I hope you're able to get back on track!

Thanks for all the tips. I can tell this forum is definitely going to help. I guess the first step would be to make another apt. with the physician and check the Fluid and then get a fill.

From there work on the steps Rev provided.

Thank you!

Adrian, all I can really add is that you said it yourself. You feel you can do more.

Whenever you're exercising, if you feel like you can do more, then you'd better do it. Don't just be satisfied with a preset goal. Push yourself.

I think you might look at the choices you make. Get your Protein around 80 a day, get in the water! And then there are regular meals. Try to eat about the same time every day if possible. Hunger has never been a problem for me and I have to be reminded that I need more than one meal a day. I am "starting over" tomorrow. I was banded 2 years ago and went from 240 to 178. I this without much exercise, giving up my sweet tea dropped 4lbs in about 2 days. I use a bread plate to eat from and I don't do seconds. I didn't reach the goal the doc set because I just think that 135 is to small for me at my age. It won't look good, and I did this to feel better and it worked. Winter is hard for me because I want Soups and chili and bread and hot chocolate. Warm weather it's easier for me to get my Water in and when it's hot I have never really wanted food. Also, when it is hot I am tight in the morning and can only sip down a Protein Drink. I mix in instant coffee and powder milk for the taste and extra protein. Keep working at it.