Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can the band not work for people?

I got banded 10/8/10. I have a relaize band and I'm up to 9cc's..I'm not losing weight and I can pretty much eat anything I want. I'm down 33lbs but since October 2010 I think I should be down much much more. I exercise at least 5x a week doing Zumba. I'm at my wits end. I have restriction sometimes but if I had to say how often I'd say 2days out of 7!!

I thought that by 1yr i'd be down 70lbs. Not an unrealistic goal, so I thought. I'm trying to remain upbeat but I feel like something just isn't right. I had a test and know that my band is ok - but what the heck??

Everyone talk about the sweet spot - once you hit it you will start losing weight...when do you hit it?? I feel like I'm never going to be there -- considering my band only holds 10cc maybe I won't??

I will admit that I don't rack my food. I stay away from bad stuff but could I be eating too much good stuff?? Even if I was i'm def eating less so why isn't the weight coming off??

Somone please help me!!

thanks!!

Start tracking your food. Yes you can gain/maintain weight eating "healthy" foods. It's all about calories in vs calories out. Buy yourself a digital scale, weigh your food, and start tracking everything you eat; you'll be surprised I bet. Focus on getting your protein/water in on a daily basis as well.

I would assume that you are at a plateau. Try switching up your work out routines.

Instead of doing Zumba five times a week, how about doing it three times and incorporating

two days of strength/weight training. You'll be surprised by the results!

Also, I agree with the comment above that you should start logging your food intake.

I have been doing that for six weeks since surgery and I am able to tweak around things I eat

to make it better for me.

You are not doing anything wrong from what you're saying, but spice it up... do something new

like hiking or biking and that will trick your body!

Without tracking your food/calories, it is impossible for you to know how much or how little you are eating. By tracking you may find that you are eating way more calories that you think you are or it also could be possible that you aren't eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Either way, tracking will help you make the necessary tweaks to get things moving again. There are many applications you can use to do this on line...I like myfitnesspal.com because they have an app for my Iphone (Blackberry too) so I can add my food whereever I am...

Yep, you can eat too much good food and not lose weight. Also, it seems doctors don't really know exactly how the band keeps you from feeling hungry, so I'd imagine there's a possibility it might not work for some people. But remember, even with the band at your perfect spot, you're the one controlling what you put in your mouth, and it's never going to stop you from eating the "wrong" thing.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

I recommend trying yoga as well!

is there a risk of slippage? or have you had a point where you may have stretched your pouch?

I was wondering the same thing. I am not loosing weight either. I hope you find your sweet spot soon

According to my surgeon, tha band is considered successful if one loses 30 or more pounds. It is a tool, though, and ultimately it fails if it's not being used properly. Can you get in to a band nutritionist to help you get back on track, or to figure out what the problem is?

Hugs, and good luck!!!

You have gotten some good advice from the previous posters. Tracking your food, measuring and weighing it, try changing up your workout routine (in particular incorporate some strength training), make sure you getting enough Water as well. Going to the nutritionist really helped me see what I was doing wrong with my eating. Perhaps you could try that. Sometimes shaking things up a bit is all thats needed to get the scale moving again. Good luck to you!

How would I know if it slipped or if my pouched has stretched?? I haven't had any type of restriction since the begining.

is there a risk of slippage? or have you had a point where you may have stretched your pouch?

I think if the band slips it's an emergency and you'd have severe physical symptoms. Maybe google it? (or hopefully someone else has a better answer).

The pouch can stretch...by overfilling it. I think they'd need to do fluoroscpy to check it? But again I'm not 100% on that.

I got banded 10/8/10. I have a relaize band and I'm up to 9cc's..I'm not losing weight and I can pretty much eat anything I want. I'm down 33lbs but since October 2010 I think I should be down much much more. I exercise at least 5x a week doing Zumba. I'm at my wits end. I have restriction sometimes but if I had to say how often I'd say 2days out of 7!!

I thought that by 1yr i'd be down 70lbs. Not an unrealistic goal, so I thought. I'm trying to remain upbeat but I feel like something just isn't right. I had a test and know that my band is ok - but what the heck??

Everyone talk about the sweet spot - once you hit it you will start losing weight...when do you hit it?? I feel like I'm never going to be there -- considering my band only holds 10cc maybe I won't??

I will admit that I don't rack my food. I stay away from bad stuff but could I be eating too much good stuff?? Even if I was i'm def eating less so why isn't the weight coming off??

Somone please help me!!

thanks!!

The bands SOLE job is to control your hunger. At 9ccs how hungry are you? Could you go 4-5 hours without eating, that should be your gauge. The band won't ever stop you from eating. Some people have trouble getting food down, that is a side effect, not the purpose of the band. There is no such thing as a sweet spot. The sweet spot is when I can stick to my damn diet long enough to lose weight laugh.gif.

I can eat whatever I want as well... I certainly can eat too many calories, I know for a fact I ate probably 2,000 calories yesterday (yea, I admitted thatmellow.gif). So of course the band won't work if I continue to eat like that. Basically we are on a big diet. You are probably eating just enough to cancel out the exercise.. you need to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound.

Remember just b/c u have,a 10 cc band that doesn't mean they can't put more than 10 in it. That is just the recomended volume.

The bands SOLE job is to control your hunger. At 9ccs how hungry are you? Could you go 4-5 hours without eating, that should be your gauge. The band won't ever stop you from eating. Some people have trouble getting food down, that is a side effect, not the purpose of the band. There is no such thing as a sweet spot. The sweet spot is when I can stick to my damn diet long enough to lose weight laugh.gif.

I can eat whatever I want as well... I certainly can eat too many calories, I know for a fact I ate probably 2,000 calories yesterday (yea, I admitted thatmellow.gif). So of course the band won't work if I continue to eat like that. Basically we are on a big diet. You are probably eating just enough to cancel out the exercise.. you need to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound.

I wish I could honestly answer your question. I'm not sure I know what truly being hungry is. I'm an emotional eater. I also think I have an oral fixation - that I always need something in my mouth. I got some good advice so far and I'm putting it to use. Another person told me to try pickles as a snack bc it's crunchy (which is what i crave) and little cal and little sodium. I'm going to try that and I'm also going to limit what I bring with me. I don't think anything of having little Snacks but they add up! It's like I told my other friend - I have to man up and step up. I can't wait and hope that by some miracle i just start dropping weight. I need to track what I eat and track how much i eat!! That's my goal for this coming week.. Im buying a scale and a journal!! Wish me luck