Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many carbs are you eating per day?

On low carb, I don't do math (I'm more of a 'just eat low carb' person than a counting person), I don't get food cravings, I don't get mood swings, and I can relax knowing that I am eating in a manner that doesn't leave me hungry and keeps me healthy.

Thanks!

I have been doing low carb since Jan. 2. I am definitely in ketosis because I have the awful keto-breath going on. I do not count carbs, however, my daily menu consists of this most of the time...

Breakfast is either 2 eggs and bacon with cheese.

or an Atkins shake.

coffee with heavy cream

I am a USPS mail carrier, so I am pretty busy throughout the day, but I usually have an Atkins bar and then a pack of peanuts for lunch. Peanuts are 3 net carbs.

Today, instead of this, I had the peanuts early, then a Hardees low carb burger for lunch. It was spectacular

dinner is almost always a salad...big salad with lettuce, cheese, bacon, and whatever else I may add - ham, eggs, etc.

I know I dont get a lot of carbs, but I am losing pretty well at this point.

I try to stay under the 160gm recommended by myfitpal do around 80. I have to to keep Protein up to 60 a day.

I try to eat under 40 grm of carbs a day, I was used to low carbing following Dr. Bernstein regarding diabetes and low carb intake. I know my body sees carbs as its enemy so i listen to it. Dont miss carbs at all ....

I try to aim for 20 but I'll bet that I often have closer to 30. I think eveyone is probably different and needs to find their own way. All I can say is that when I eat more than 20 to 30 carbs a day - I get wicked cravings for all kinds of food and then I'm off and running. If I keep my carbs low --- I don't crave often and if I do go over a bit for 1 day -- it's easier to get back on the wagon the next. It could partly be that I'm in my 60s, that I'm a very short woman and I'm not very physically active---(still work hard but mostly sitting). Maybe if I moved more or was taller or younger -- I could eat more carbs. All I know is if I stay that low --- I have no problem with Portion Control or keeping calories low. If I go over that amount of carbs -- I get hungry and also have bad cravings. All of my blood tests, blood pressure, and pulse get really good when I stay low carb. They go up when I eat more carbs. I also have more energy, stay more even in mood and sleep better. I also lose weight with it as long as I take it easy on nuts and cheese. I eat half of an Atkins frozen breakfast, take a thermos of coffee with cream/Splenda with me in the AM, maybe an Atkins snack/light meal bar or 100 calorie pack of cinnamon or coco covered almonds for lunch, an Atkins dinner with 1 low carb flax Tortilla (Mama Rico's). In the eve -- I might have homemade low carb egg custard (made with egg whites) with flavored Spenda suryp and Cool Whip or an Atkins candy bar. Nice hot Chai tea as needed. Pickles, oives for treats. Works for me. I think that when American's are eating high carbs --- it's mostly sugar and starch (and usally with a fair amount of fat). I don't know of any nutrution book that says that sugar, crackers, Cookies, bread, Pasta and chips are good for a person. I don't think we are missing any important nutrition at all by staying away from that stuff. Low carb does not discourage most veggies. Corn, potato and Beans are not exactly on the low carb diet but they can be eaten (especially Beans and other whole carbs) once the weight is lost. It's also true that during the losing phase - it's better to stick with berries for fruit becase they are so low carb. it's a good way of getting fruit in without getting high carbs and sugar. I do think that I need to be stricter in low carb than many other people because of my size, inactivity and metabolism.

See, I want to do this too because I know that carbs are my issue. I'm actually on day two of REALLY watching my carbs/sugar and I'm shaking and tired. But when I went on the Lean Cuisine website for example, because the only way I'm going to eat is if I live out of a box and frozen foods since my life just isn't practical for real cooking during the week, but all the dinners that are above 15 grams of Protein are about 30-50 grams of carbs so if I eat two of them a day, I'm easily above 50 grams of carbs and that doesn't include Breakfast (which is usually an egg and yogurt). So I could be lookin at 100 grams of carbs per day and living on Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones.

This is getting more and more difficult.

I use to live off LC for lunch but found tuna packets are great if you like tuna and the canned chicken. I boil some eggs to have with it and steamed veggies in a bag. Quick and easy. Hang in there!

See, I want to do this too because I know that carbs are my issue. I'm actually on day two of REALLY watching my carbs/sugar and I'm shaking and tired. But when I went on the Lean Cuisine website for example, because the only way I'm going to eat is if I live out of a box and frozen foods since my life just isn't practical for real cooking during the week, but all the dinners that are above 15 grams of Protein are about 30-50 grams of carbs so if I eat two of them a day, I'm easily above 50 grams of carbs and that doesn't include Breakfast (which is usually an egg and yogurt). So I could be lookin at 100 grams of carbs per day and living on Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones.

This is getting more and more difficult.

Just an aside: would it work for you to cook a crock pot meal on the weekend that you could eat during the week instead of processed frozen dinners? You might be able to control the carbs that way. I've found it enormously helpful, easy, fast, delicious. Plus the meat gets very tender and easy to chew. And my home smells wonderful, too :)

~hiddn

Just an aside: would it work for you to cook a crock pot meal on the weekend that you could eat during the week instead of processed frozen dinners? You might be able to control the carbs that way. I've found it enormously helpful, easy, fast, delicious. Plus the meat gets very tender and easy to chew. And my home smells wonderful, too :) ~hiddn

I do the same thing. I get my pressure cooker and crockpot going at the same time on the weekends and it feeds us for several days. This weekend I made beef stew, chicken and veg, and chicken meatballs with some sauce. I sometimes add steamed veg and we have a complete dinner.

hi all,

I am doing LCHF - the Real Meal Revolution by Prof Tim Noakes. my split is 5% carbs, 20% Protein, 75% fat. had my lap band about 4 years ago, initially lost 40 kgs then started putting it back on again. Have been doing LCHF for 3 months 13 kgs down and feeling fantastic... had 9 mls in my port and found I couldnt eat enough so had 4.5 out and now no more reflux... feeling fantastic!!! :D

I don't cook a lot during the school year but my nutritionist gave me lots of ideas for no/low carb goods. Meet and cheese roll ups are my fave! I take a string cheese and tear it into 3-4 sections. Then I wrap a piece of deli meat around it and eat. It's portable and easy!

HI, im new here and havent been banded yet. However, I have been low carb for 4 years now. I went from a size 24 to the size 18 I am now. I lost 62 pounds before i got preggers and gained 20 lbs post pregnancy. I do about 20-30 grams a day. I cook like crazy and limit sodium. There is a site called netrition that I use to buy low carb goodies. They have these things called mashers that I love when I'm craving mash potatoes!!

Netrition is a lifesaver. You can sort for low carb and/or bariatric approved foods.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App