Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to Drink while you eat?

Hey guys,

My biggest difficulty since I got the band has been wanting to drink while I eat. I've come to a simple, but satisfying conclusion. I generally have a small glass of Water that I pour when I'm about to eat. When I have a craving to drink, I sip a tiny amount, only enough to wet my mouth, yet hardly enough to swallow, and it's plenty to give me the same satisfaction of drinking. It has really helped me to get out of the habit of gulping, and pushing my food too quickly to my pouch. Hope this helps someone :)

What have been your hardest habits to break?

It's not so much wanting to drink while I eat but wanting a coffee after I've eaten that I struggle with.

To be honest, I stick to it when it suits me but times when I'm out and you might buy lunch and a coffee at the same time I just do it.

But I dont tend to feel " restriction" as such, the band seems to work for me by just deadening my appetite, so even after one fill, I really dont feel like it washes everything through faster. I think everything's going through anyway so it makes no difference, but with the very small appetite I have I really wouldnt need to be any tighter for a while.

So short answer, I dont worry about it. My doctor said " it's up to you, see how it makes you feel".

I occasionally do this, especially since I don't like the feeling of food being left in my mouth after eating. I occasionally will take the smallest sip humanly possible.

I couldn't do this on a regular basis, since I would be tempted to automatically drink the Water, the whole glass of Water.< /p>

My surgeon said that it is ok to have a small glass of 3 ounces of Water with my dinner. She said that it's enough to wet the mouth, but not enough to push the food through the pouch.

I agree, it's a great trade off.

Thanks guys, I'm really missing my Water at meals. Ill try this as I have now really eaten without drinking something.

This is what I have found through experience.

You cannot drink while you eat (if your restricted well)

THe drink does NOT force the food through or make it go through any better (unless you like pain in your chest for foods sake)

Its just impossible.. It hurts like heck and its just not possible (unless you wanna PB or something)

I have been experimenting with drinking while eating for all the months i have been banded and IF I can drink, I WILL..

I have an addiction to drinking milk and juice and gladly choose it over food..

BUT, lately.. I have not been so tight.. AND my MIND has figured out that IF I ONLY NOT DRINK.. I CAN EAT.

AND I ACTUALLY have been like eating.. ACTUALLY choosing to eat, and forgo ANY drink JUST SO I CAN Eat..

this is a crazy new thing... lol

EXAMPLE: IF I go to the china buffett at like 9pm, after I have been up all day and I was active that day as well (otherwise its impossible)

AND I AVOID ALL KINDS OF DRINK..

then I can do what they call "FILL MY POUCH" and it isnt painfull untill its full.... THEN, as long as I dont drink for a long time afterwards.. (letting th pouch empty) then that works too.

Thing is.. its almost not worth it.. yes, i did like going to the china buffet and actually eating last month.. BUT I cant see wanting to do this everyday..

I rather drink.. and THATS NOT a good thing to need or want with the band..

I dont think the band and me were meant for eachother

Nykee,

If you are only drinking and not eating (as long as you get your Protein in, which you probably are with milk), you are probably ok. I think your weight loss is amazing, and if you would rather drink than eat and you aren't starving then the band is working just fine for you in your own fashion, right?

I find the same thing as you though, where if there's any decent amount of food in my pouch and I try and drink something it's nothing but problems.

As for wanting to drink while eating, I try and chug down a good glass or two of Water or iced tea before my meal. Even to the point of getting a little 'water logged' so I don't feel thirsty.

Yep, I"m the same. Once I've finished a meal I generally dont eat till the next one anyway, and I never eat after dinner at night. So if I want that coffee, I generally have it. If I find it makes me start eating I'll stop.

I have been noticing that when I want Water with my meals it seems that I havent had enough water prior to my meals. WHEN I REMEMBER I will drink a full glass of water 10 min prior or right before my meal. When I do this do not have the earge to drink during my meal. When I forget to drink prior to eating; like right now ( just ate and am real thursty ). I want water real bad. I was told it was ok to drink just before my meals, some docs dont want you to do that.

Marimaru, THANK YOU for saying that. Its so nice to have support on how I am using my band at leaste in some way's... thanks again..