Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few post op questions! Help :)

Hi friends! So I had my surgery on Tuesday (Yay!) and I haven't had many major issues and I'm probably just paranoid but I just want to make sure what is happening is normal.

I'm currently on liquids until this Thursday. The first few days I was not feeling hungry at all but the last three days I constantly am hungry! I "eat" then literally minutes later I start feeling hunger pains. I get a full feeling but then I'm hungry very soon. Is it just because the liquids are filtering thru my band quickly? It's really so aggravating!

My second question is about burping! In the beginning I didn't burp much at all. Now after I eat, I burp once usually. And it's normally right around the time I feel the full feeling. I burp once. Is it normal to be burping?

My last question. I am normally a side and stomach sleeper. Ive been sleeping on my back since surgery but able to now start laying on my side and stomach with minimal discomfort so I've been trying to lay that way because it's much more comfortable for me. Is it damaging at all to the band to be sleeping on my side or stomach at this point?

Any help is very appreciated!! Thank you ;)

I'm probably being paranoid but please any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

I can't really speak to the hunger issue as I never really experience that - I know others do so I know it is normal. You might feel a bit more satisfied once you are on mushies but you will still have hunger until you reach adequate restriction.

As for the burping, I occasionally have a little burp but it isn't often. Some people have said that when they burp they know they are full but it doesn't sound like that is what is happening for you. I would suggest that you try to be really mindful about not taking air in when you drink. If you are using a straw - stop for a few days and see if that works. If you aren't using a straw, try to be aware of air that you might be taking in right before you sip.

I am a tummy sleeper too and have been sleeping on my tummy since day 2 post op. It shouldn't cause any trouble. There have been a few mornings that I wake up and felt slightly sore in the middle of my tummy but by the time I am out of the shower that feeling is gone.

Good luck on your journey!

Hi friends! So I had my surgery on Tuesday (Yay!) and I haven't had many major issues and I'm probably just paranoid but I just want to make sure what is happening is normal.

I'm currently on liquids until this Thursday. The first few days I was not feeling hungry at all but the last three days I constantly am hungry! I "eat" then literally minutes later I start feeling hunger pains. I get a full feeling but then I'm hungry very soon. Is it just because the liquids are filtering thru my band quickly? It's really so aggravating!

My second question is about burping! In the beginning I didn't burp much at all. Now after I eat, I burp once usually. And it's normally right around the time I feel the full feeling. I burp once. Is it normal to be burping?

My last question. I am normally a side and stomach sleeper. Ive been sleeping on my back since surgery but able to now start laying on my side and stomach with minimal discomfort so I've been trying to lay that way because it's much more comfortable for me. Is it damaging at all to the band to be sleeping on my side or stomach at this point?

Any help is very appreciated!! Thank you ;)

I'm probably being paranoid but please any help would be appreciated!

Hi there! Okay let's start with the hunger issue. I have learned that you're not feeling hungry in the beginning stages after being banded because your stomach is still swollen. Some people start getting their appetite back a few days after or even a week or more. As for me, I didn't get my appetite back until the 9th-11th day, but even if I was drooling over something, I wouldn't even be able to eat 1/2 a cup of it.

Burping is one of my biggies! I burp all the time! It seems like every time I drink or eat...I will let out a little burp. My doctor says it's fine and actually is good that I'm getting it out of my system. SOOO...you're fine :)

I am a stomach sleeper, but haven't been able to do that in a while. However, I have been sleeping on my side and if it causes you minimal to no pain, but I don't see the problem...But right now since you have only been banded for a few days, I would recommend sleeping on your back until your port incision and is fully healed.

I hope this helps!!

Thank you both for your advice! I hope this gets easier soon.