Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so today i went to get my first fill, and i guess im allergic to the numbing stuff the give us, my NP uses lidocaine. After the fill i stood up to go have my upper GI , i was really dizzy and felt like i was goin to pass out.I got to the room and i had to sit down, i felt like i was on fire, my whole body was sweating, i was soaked but i was freezing at the same time. I asked if its normal to feel like this and they had me sit down, i felt like i was going to throw up and the room was spinning, my by dropped to 82/60 and they said i was pale. everything was going really slow and i must admit i was scared. after a few minutes it passed. I had a few sips of Water and stood up and felt better.

Has this every happened to anybody? they said I must be allercig to the numbing stuff they give as a shot bf the fill needle, i dont know. They also said from now on for my fills i will not get any numbing stuff, ( thank god) and i will have to deal with the pain.

Does it hurt with out numbing stuff? and has anybody ever heard of this?

I am now at 6.5cc

can anybody please respond if they know of this reaction as a allergy?

thank you :o

My doctor has NEVER numbed me before a fill...never even offered. I really don't think he does it for any of his patients (he's done 2700 lap bands). I barely even feel it. If you've ever had to prick your finger to test your blood sugar, that hurts more. Don't let yourself stress over it. It's really nothing.

had my first fill on the 10th, i had no problems at all. i really expected it to be worse than it really was. Sorry you had problems.

had my first fill on the 10th, i had no problems at all. i really expected it to be worse than it really was. Sorry you had problems.

it was weird, im pretty sure it must have been a allergic reaction, my nurse said she has seen that once before, Thanks for responding everybody !!

I only had lido on my first 2 fills when I was most nervous. It's really unnecessary for most Bandsters. One stick for the fill is far more comfy than 2 sticks, even after the numbing I've had discomfort. Don't know why, but without a numbing shot, the adjustment needle never is a problem.

My older brother gets that same kind of reaction just from having a blood draw....hypovolemic shock they called his situation. He has actually passed out from just seeing a needle.

Speaking of "allergic reaction", twice I myself developed a horrid local rash the size & shape of the band aide they put over the port after the fill.

I told them about it and no longer get a band aid. It's some weird deal associated only with their tape, never has happened before or with other kinds of commercial band aides.

I only had lido on my first 2 fills when I was most nervous. It's really unnecessary for most Bandsters. One stick for the fill is far more comfy than 2 sticks, even after the numbing I've had discomfort. Don't know why, but without a numbing shot, the adjustment needle never is a problem.

My older brother gets that same kind of reaction just from having a blood draw....hypovolemic shock they called his situation. He has actually passed out from just seeing a needle.

Speaking of "allergic reaction", twice I myself developed a horrid local rash the size & shape of the band aide they put over the port after the fill.

I told them about it and no longer get a band aid. It's some weird deal associated only with their tape, never has happened before or with other kinds of commercial band aides.

I get that hypovolemic shock thingy sometimes when I start to panic during a medical procedure. I have to pick a focus point and almost do lamaze breathing to not pass out. I have passed out before. So I am doing my breathing and the dr always want to talk to me which in turn makes me lose my concentration. So now I just nob and continue my breathing. I started to do it the other day on my fill and the PA caught on real quick to what was happening. :P

Have you ever had a cavity before and been numbed in your mouth? Because lidocaine is the same as novacaine.

Actually, it sounds more like a Vasovagal syncope episode.

Check this post:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/51729-vasovagal-response-ie-fainting-after-fill/

Actually, it sounds more like a Vasovagal syncope episode.

Check this post:

http://www.lapbandta...ing-after-fill/

OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.

I noticed that you posted on the other thread that your nurse had never seen a patient have the response you did.. and how that was possible. I don't know how much experience your nurse has, but it's possible that he/she's not worked in bariatrics long or perhaps just in the excitement of the event it didn't click that a Vasovagal response was what was going on. It's possible that they've not had their nursing license all that long too. :) You never know. I've known people in their 50's go to nursing school for the first time.

If the nurse doesn't believe you on your next visit.. print out the thread I pointed you to.. that might help. Hope you don't have any more events. One is exciting enough. ::grin::

You're welcome.

I noticed that you posted on the other thread that your nurse had never seen a patient have the response you did.. and how that was possible. I don't know how much experience your nurse has, but it's possible that he/she's not worked in bariatrics long or perhaps just in the excitement of the event it didn't click that a Vasovagal response was what was going on. It's possible that they've not had their nursing license all that long too. :) You never know. I've known people in their 50's go to nursing school for the first time.

If the nurse doesn't believe you on your next visit.. print out the thread I pointed you to.. that might help. Hope you don't have any more events. One is exciting enough. ::grin::

yes thank you so much, when i told my best freind what had happened she knew right away waht it was, then i came home to look here and you posted the above, im tahnkful you and my best freind are smart lol

She is going to give me a list of questions to ask, and also said i should see a different nurse just in case.

I still do not understand if its a good or bad thing, lol

i thought i read that the band is placed on a nerve so that it does contrill hunger, if that is the case isnt my band all ready stimulatin my nerve>

who knows , but at leat i have a clue what happend, im not sure if it will happen again, or if i should be conserned.

I guess i wont worry, Im not in pain, have not thrown up , and it happend once =)

thank you soooooooo much again for posting!!! im going to do some research

I have never had a bad reaction to lido but you really don't need it. Fills dont hurt without it.

I am so freaked out by pain and needles and so I used to get lido before a fill but my doc made me try once to avoid an extra needle and 10 minutes of freak out time and it was fine.