Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is it like getting a fill?

It doesn't hurt. You barely feel it. My doctor has me lay on my back and lift my legs so he can find the port easily. He injects a tiny needle into the port and puts in the saline. Nothing too it!

I don't want to scare you but my first fill hurt. The Doctor said sometimes the first time it's difficult to find the port due to scar tissue. I don't know if she just said that to cover herself, but she sprayed me with some numbing stuff and I didn't feel much at first but it was uncomfortable. She took it out and tried again. By the second stick the numbness wore off and it hurt, i felt everything including her struggling to find my port. She had to call in the head Doctor to do it, he found it no problem but his stick hurt too because, again, the numbing agent had worn completely off by then.

So, with my first time I definately felt it and it didn't tickle, but Every Body is different so some of us will never experience that kind of discomfort. And for the record, I'm not a baby when it comes to pain, so if it hurt me, it hurt. But I survived and that little bit of pain was worth it. With my second fill I made sure I was nice and numbed up, I felt a little pinch but it was nothing really. My third fill was even better. So don't be scared, if it hurts just keep in mind what the pay off is and know that it gets easier. Good luck!

didn't hurt even one little bit. Just one little prick and it's over.

Well I had my first fill yesterday and the needle wasn't long enough to reach my port so she had to get a longer needle! :( I got really nervous and almost started to hyperventalate! But she calmed me down and she gave me a numbing shot and then used the longer needle. After the numbing shot I did not feel a thing. To me the anticipation was worse then the actual fill it self. Now I know what to expect and she said to just remind them to use the longer needle and numbing shot. :)

Its like getting blood taken, you get the needle prick, which doesnt really hurt but nothing else, because the saline is being injected into the port, not into your tissues. So its not like an innoculation or penicillin shot where you also get the pain of the Fluid being forced into your muscle. I imagine it would be a tad uncomfortable if they were digging around for your port though, luckily mine has always been easily accessed. But sheesh, there's so many things that hurt a lot more!

Had my 3rd fill yesterday. I now prop myself up on my elbows instead of laying flat, and watch the whole thing while carrying on a conversation about the weather, sports, etc..

He uses a very large bore needle, that has a open/shut valve between it and the syringe. He sticks it in the port, and pulls all the saline out of the band. Turns the little valve closing the needle off, then removes the syringe from the needle. I'm laying there as he examines the saline in the syringe with the needle sticking out of me like a pin cushion. He's basically measureing the volume taken from the band. He then replaces all the saline with fresh, plus a little more. Yesterday was 2 cc's more making a total of 8. He then re-attaches the syringe to the needle, opens the little petcock, and re-fills my band. After he pulls the needle out I hold pressure on the point with the alcohol swap, and walk down the hall to the Water cooler. I then have to drink the Water in front of him to show him I'm fine.

Then I'm on my way home.

I have to say that mu port is right there under the skin. Not only can I feel/see the port, but also the small tube that runs from it for a few inches until it goes deep.

Does it hurt? I read someone earlier say it hurt like hell and now I'm scared.

I personally have not enjoyed getting my fills. I had one today and it kindof hurt, but I got through it. I think I only had one fill that didn't hurt out of four. Even though it's not a good feeling, just hang in there and don't get scared about it. Just remember that it will all be worth it.

I had my first fill today and it wasnt bad at all.He numbed it first then put in the saline. It was easier than i thought it would. You can do it !

It does not hurt at all!

Does it hurt? I read someone earlier say it hurt like hell and now I'm scared.

Hello, I got my 2nd fill yesterday and it went great. Its not painful and I was able to get 3 more CC's making my total band fill 7cc's now. The Dr puts a needle in your port and leaves it there while you sip Water. If the water goes down okay you may get to keep all the CC's in the shot. My first fill Dr put in 5CC's, but had to take 1 cc out because the water didn't go down well. My fills have never been painful, they find the port easily and it doesn't take very long either. Today I am on liquids, tomorrow purees and third day solids. 7cc's is definitely more resrtriction.