Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still too fat for cosmetic surgery?

I saw a cosmetic surgeon to get an evaluation on a number of things I need done. Most concerning to me is my stomach and the insides of my thighs (around my knees), where large fat pads have settled. The doctor was reluctant to do the lower lift (stomach and mons) because he said I was still too heavy. I weigh 220, down from 335, and am not interested in being much smaller. I wear a 16, am off all meds and feel great. I was surprised by his reluctance. I have had a knee replacement and there was no concern about that surgery at this weight. Has anyone else run into this?

Also, has anyone had a thigh lift? What was it like? The area is so dense that he said I would need liposuction to create some excess skin and only then could he do the lift. I did not have these mis-shapen legs before I lost weight, but clearly, the fat is there to stay!

You have interesting points. First off, that doctor and you do not share YOUR vision....I think seeing 2 or 3 more PS would be a good thing. Since you are where YOU want to be, don't let just 1 set the tone. I will tell you that a thigh lift can be hell, especially with certain body types and situations. I had the money all lined up and when I was told by the PS all that it would entail...I said thanks but no thanks. There is another poster Sue Ham that had one recently and seems happy...so there are 2 of the many points of view. I wish you luck and hope you post about your journey.

Mimi

I saw a cosmetic surgeon to get an evaluation on a number of things I need done. Most concerning to me is my stomach and the insides of my thighs (around my knees), where large fat pads have settled. The doctor was reluctant to do the lower lift (stomach and mons) because he said I was still too heavy. I weigh 220, down from 335, and am not interested in being much smaller. I wear a 16, am off all meds and feel great. I was surprised by his reluctance. I have had a knee replacement and there was no concern about that surgery at this weight. Has anyone else run into this?

Also, has anyone had a thigh lift? What was it like? The area is so dense that he said I would need liposuction to create some excess skin and only then could he do the lift. I did not have these mis-shapen legs before I lost weight, but clearly, the fat is there to stay!

Why do you say the fat is there to stay? Why have you settled to still be overweight or obese? I am not criticizing but just asking. I cat see how 220 can be a healthy weight for you for the long term...

Why do you say the fat is there to stay? Why have you settled to still be overweight or obese? I am not criticizing but just asking. I cat see how 220 can be a healthy weight for you for the long term...

Well, I think it depends on each individual. I see that your goal is 155, which many people would say is too heavy. I don't know how tall you are, but there are those who would say 155 is still pretty heavy. It's all relative. I am at the goal that my bariatric surgeon and my primary doctor set for me. I am having my band tightened in a few weeks because I tried loosening it (reflux) and started to gain. So I may lose more weight, but I am very happy at my current weight -- feel great and am healthy.

When I said the fat "is here to stay" I was referring to the fat on the inside of my legs and knees, which, no matter how much more weight I lose will not go away--it needs to be surgically removed.

You have interesting points. First off, that doctor and you do not share YOUR vision....I think seeing 2 or 3 more PS would be a good thing. Since you are where YOU want to be, don't let just 1 set the tone. I will tell you that a thigh lift can be hell, especially with certain body types and situations. I had the money all lined up and when I was told by the PS all that it would entail...I said thanks but no thanks. There is another poster Sue Ham that had one recently and seems happy...so there are 2 of the many points of view. I wish you luck and hope you post about your journey.

Mimi

Thanks so much for your reply and your support. I have been doing some reading about the medial thigh lift and it does scare me. My legs are bad--affect how I walk--so I still would like to have something done. But the fact is I don't have the money or the time required to recuperate, so it is not going to happen. But if I win the lottery, I will follow your advice and get at least a second opinion.

Even though you and the surgeon don't have the same vision/goals, the fact is that doing cosmetic surgery on someone who is still considered overweight/obese is high risk. Some plastic surgeons shy away from working with those who aren't within the "normal" BMI range, or at least close to it. From what I have read, as I am just now looking into surgery, most surgeons want you within a normal BMI and no more than 20lbs from your goal weight. When you still have lbs to lose, getting a truly noticeable result from plastic surgery is hard, as the more you lose, the less mass you have, and the saggier your skin gets. It makes sense from an appearance standpoint as well as from a risk standpoint. But, if you're happy at that weight, then stick to it and maybe look for a bariatric plastic surgeon who specializes in weight-loss patients.

Wondering if anyone who has had TT and/or abd Lipo has had any port issues...I am afraid of having it moved or damaged in some way!

I am 5'1 and was 193 when I had my TT so I disagree about ps and ideal weight.

I am 5'1 and was 193 when I had my TT so I disagree about ps and ideal weight.

I am curious - your starting weight shown as 193 in the signature. You had TT before lap band?

I am curious - your starting weight shown as 193 in the signature. You had TT before lap band?

Privet, I am russian too. Yes you are right, I got tt then lapband.

No actually my goal is 145 which will be a normal BMI for me. This is a category defined by tons of research which predicts risks of health problems. So if we can put aside all our thoughts about how we look or even feel at a certain weight...it is a medical fact that a normal BMI is correlated with a normal level of risk for adverse health outcomes. And, therefore, anything higher than the normal range carries a higher risk. I have lost weight very slowly but steadily and expect to reach normal BMI fairly easily and probably will go below it. I cant make the decision based on how I look in the mirror or how I looked 20years ago...just on medical fact relating to my health.

Part of why the doc doesn't want to do an elective procedure at your current weight is that your current weight raises the risk of complications...sure, you can find a doc that will do it but its a higher risk for you than if you waited and got some more weight off.

Well, I think it depends on each individual. I see that your goal is 155, which many people would say is too heavy. I don't know how tall you are, but there are those who would say 155 is still pretty heavy. It's all relative. I am at the goal that my bariatric surgeon and my primary doctor set for me. I am having my band tightened in a few weeks because I tried loosening it (reflux) and started to gain. So I may lose more weight, but I am very happy at my current weight -- feel great and am healthy.

When I said the fat "is here to stay" I was referring to the fat on the inside of my legs and knees, which, no matter how much more weight I lose will not go away--it needs to be surgically removed.

I went to see 3 PS I went from 358 and at the time I saw the PS's I was 182. Two of them said I still had too much fat to do the body or thigh lift. All they would do was my arms. I chose the one Dr that said he would do all of it now, but have only had my arms done so far becuase that is what was really bothering me! Although I can not wear shorts or a bathing suit dure to my gross thighs! However they won;t do my thighs beofre the body and I just don;t have the money right now to do the body. Also the arm lift was not fun and ever 10 months later I have a lot of numbness still. Also my arms were huge and I am not thrilled with the final out come. Yes they look MUCH better but I get I was expecting more.

If I can save the money and lose 20 more pounds I think I would try the body lift, then the thighs for sure!

Good Luck!

No actually my goal is 145 which will be a normal BMI for me. This is a category defined by tons of research which predicts risks of health problems. So if we can put aside all our thoughts about how we look or even feel at a certain weight...it is a medical fact that a normal BMI is correlated with a normal level of risk for adverse health outcomes. And, therefore, anything higher than the normal range carries a higher risk. I have lost weight very slowly but steadily and expect to reach normal BMI fairly easily and probably will go below it. I cant make the decision based on how I look in the mirror or how I looked 20years ago...just on medical fact relating to my health.

Part of why the doc doesn't want to do an elective procedure at your current weight is that your current weight raises the risk of complications...sure, you can find a doc that will do it but its a higher risk for you than if you waited and got some more weight off.

I had a goal of 179 which didn;t seem real when I was 358 lol. I was as low as 167 but that was when I was having issues with my band. I went on a cruise and went up to 193 I am now at 178. I know I can get lower and should get lower but to be honest if I stay in the low to mid 170's I am happy with that. I am a short person at 5 1 so I know most people would say thats still way to heavy but for me after 40 yrs of lugging around all that weight I am very happy here!

hi

you might be overweight for this surgery,, are you going for Tummy Tuck surgery (abdominoplasty)????????

you can visit or contact some featured doctors on this site for help,, http://www.tummytuckguide.com/ they will definitely help you out of it.

There are several techniques available today. Each technique is designed to address the different degrees of a prominent stomach and loose skin in the abdominal area.

Endoscopic Tummy Tuck

Mini Tummy Tuck