Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question on drinking while eating

So I am two weeks post op and am still not very hungry. I struggle to get in 1200 calories. I think I made it to 800 yesterday. I am getting in my Protein and very little carbs. I am wondering if I still need to not drink during eating? It doesnt matter if it is washing it down I am still not hungry. Isnt the point of not drinking during meals is so that you can stay full longer.;)

I think being 2 weeks post op you are still healing so not as likely to be hungry. Are you on mushys? I would stick with the not eating and drinking and waiting an hour after you eat to drink (I struggle with this daily)

Once you are eating solids you will find that most times you CANNOT drink while eating or right after, as it will cause you to start belching uncontrollably and possibly even make you have to go upchuck.

Stay in the habit of not drinking during meals and don't focus on the number of calories you are getting in per day as long as the Protein is being met. Allow yourself time to finish healing and time to adjust to your band. You will do great!

I say that you should stick to this rule from the beginning to start the habit because it really is something you need to get used to. You can do it!

Not drinking during eating is a good habit to develop. Yes, the thinking is that not drinking will slow the progression of food through the smaller upper stomach into the larger lower stomach. Right now, you may still be swollen from surgery and that is why you are not having much hunger. Once the swelling goes down, you are likely to get the hunger back.

When I was first banded, I did the "no drinking 30 min before, during and 30 min. after a meal" as instructed. Now that I am 2 years out and have experience and know my body and how it will react, I can bend the rules a bit. But I strongly urge you to stay as close to what your doctor recommends during your early time as a bandster.

When I go out with friends and try and drink during a meal I have to be very careful. I can sip wine here and there but mostly I try and drink my wine or cocktail before the food comes. Once I've eaten I very often can't drink, even if I try. So there's that, and the fact that it's a good habit to get into. If you start bending the rules this early in the game you're not setting yourself up for a successful run at this.

I measure out my foods so I know in ounces what I have. I can eat just a little, and start to feel soreness so I have to drink some Water to wash it down. I know the rules, but it don't work that way for me. My surgeon said I am to sensitive. I have ran into a few people on this site where they say GEE I THOUGHT I WAS ALL OLONE. No I'm in that boat too. so I count all my calories, and after I eat, I am not hungry. So as long as I stay between 800-1200 a day, 60-80G Protein, and am not hungry. I don't see the difference If I am that sensitive, (BANDED 10/31/2006) and still that sensitive. Then it has to be this way.