Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m having a hard time… I’m so stressed out. I’m trying to finish up my masters and my career depends on me completing and passing my defense … I just bought a house and I need this job! I’m hoping to finish by the end of May or Early June … Is it ok to take a break from trying to lose weight (I don’t mean pig out and eat whatever I want --- I just mean not going to the gym and stressing over a food journal)? I just feel so stressed the days that I can’t make it to the gym and then I feel guilty about it and then stress even more! I’m almost in panic mode over all this stress… I feel like I’m going to have a mental break down if I don’t get this school business taken care of!! I really need a pick-me-up and some support!

I don't know when you were banded, or how long it has been, but yes you can take time out to finish school. Sometimes stress from other things going on in your life just make it difficult, but the band should help you along the way. If you are taking a break from the food journal, just remember to eat Protein first and to drink your Water. The journal just makes you more accountable for what you put in your mouth. Going to the gym, take a break, just do little things to increase your movement, take the stairs, park further out, when you need a breather from work and school, take a walk. This is just temporary, and then jump back in with both feet. Also we are here to support you too. Good luck with your master's! Take care!

What a load you are carrying. My caution is to be so careful taking time off. At some point this will become a life style for you, not a stresser. Limit the time you are at the gym and I agree do some extra stuff to make up for it. it is so hard to go back once we have gotten out of our routine. My first thought was now more than ever you need to be careful and stick to it. Dont allow the stress of your life to cause you to slip back into bad habits. I am assuming you have not been banded long. so these things you are doing, the changes being made are not habit yet. i caution you and am nervous. Sometimes working out is a release for stress. Think hard and long before you stop if school and the house and such are an excuse you are using to allow yourself to not move forward, to stop working at it. darlin, it will be work until it becomes the new life style. Oh I am concerned for you. stress is an ugly thing, eating healthy and exercise are benefits, not stress builders. May i please ask you to consider this decision and to talk it out with some one before you back off. You have not been at this long enough. Please consider some other way to release the stress, i know stopping what is working for you is not the answer. Please, if you proceed with this plan do so with caution and your eyes wide open. Been there done that. I am sure your doctor would not recommend you stopping or slowing down your wonderful current progress.

I think it's ok to go a little easy on yourself while you work out your school stuff. I would monitor your weight closely- maybe weighing in everyday. Your goal can be not to gain any weight, keep it in a range of about 3 pounds. Focus on eating the right things, even if your portions are larger than they will be when you are less stressed. Also, looking at other ways besides eating to relieve stress would be great. I agree with the above post that excersise is a great stress reliever, not to mention the calories burned. Something like yoga or meditation is something else to try. Best wishes!

((HUGS)) Take a deep breath and relax a bit. You need to make a list of the things you have to do and then prioritize that list. Then if you need to drop something start at the bottom of that list and move up.

I'm at the very end of a highly stressful class and semester. I turned in my last project yesterday and I swear to you I am now completely relaxed. The stress is completely gone.

I hope you finish soon and do really well! Have you checked to see if your school offers free tutors? Mine does and I took advantage of that. I only have classes 2 days a week but lately I've been spending 4 days a week at school just getting extra help on that one darn class I had.