Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Yesterday, extreme pain!

Hello all, I have been banded less than 24 hours and I am experiencing a lot of pain! It hurts pretty bad when i try to move around in bed and when i try to stand or sit. Is this normal? I was also wondering is it safe to put an ice pack on my incision sites? Most of my pain im experiencing is where my port is located, someone please help!!!!

You had surgery yesterday... pain is to be expected! You should have some sort of pain medication from the doctor. Use it. Ice is good. It's not going to hurt, and it it makes you more comfortable go for it. If you have a recliner you can sleep in for a couple of days, that helped me the first few days back from surgery. The pain wasn't so bad by day 4... just sore. but everyone is different and if you're in more pain than you can handle call your surgeon, see if there's another pain med you can try. But being cut into hurts! you're doing just fine!

You need to call your doctor and get instructions for how long to have the ice on and how long in between to have it off. The pain you are feeling is not just about being cut into. Your port is actually stitched into your muscles and that can be quite painful for a little while. You will notice it most when standing or sitting and rolling over in bed because those actions use the stomach muscles, more then we realize until it hurts to do so. It does get better but you will actually feel a bit of discomfort from that area for up to 6 weeks. Nothing like it is in the beginning, but twinges nonetheless.

This is very normal. Make sure to take your pain meds and just take your time moving around. Some people find it easier to sleep in a recliner for the first few days to be more comfortable. As far as putting an ice pack on the incision sites, I never tried one but did find a heating pad to help a lot. It makes sense that most of your pain is where the port is located because that is going to be your largest incision.

Take it easy, be patient and I hope you feel better soon...

i had surgery on April 6th and was back at work on the 7th and in extreme pain. i ate so many gas x strips yesterday. but i had my first bm today and the pressure isnt as bad now. my biggest thing is that i am starving. my doctor doesnt fill until week 4 after surgery. any hints on what i can drink to feel better. i have been drinking boost and Water and a little chicken broth.< /p>

Andy, I was banded last Tuesday, so I'm 4 days post surgery now. Yes, my first days were ROUGH and I was in a ton of pain - I also wondered if it was normal.

From Tuesday afternoon when I came home (I didn't stay in a hospital at all, I was only at the surgery center for 4 hours), until yesterday afternoon, I was really hurting. It actually got better last night as I didn't move around much yesterday and I took no pain meds yesterday. What I think really helped was getting a shower for the first time since the surgery - made me feel so much better!

I took pain meds before I went to bed, then I slept through the night, only getting up once to pee and take a pain med around 4am.

This morning, I feel pretty good. My incisions itch a lot, so I'm constantly having to take my hand away from my stomach! But it's a good thing because it means they are healing up. I was hungry for the first time yesterday, and this morning not so much, but I never was a Breakfast eater anyway - I know that has to change. Right now I'm sipping on apple juice and looking out the window to a beautiful morning.

It gets better, Andy. It does. Hang in there!

I was banded on the 4th and am still sore, have not taken pain meds since the morning of the 7th. I had a timer and for the 1st 48 hours I took my meds every 4 hours and took advil also every 4 hours. So every two hours I was taking something. They also told me I could ice the first 24 hours and them after that I could use heat., I go back to work this morning and know I will probably have to take something since I stand on my feet for 8 hours. I am enjoying hot tea, and Soup right now. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

I was banded on the 4th and am still sore, have not taken pain meds since the morning of the 7th. I had a timer and for the 1st 48 hours I took my meds every 4 hours and took advil also every 4 hours. So every two hours I was taking something. They also told me I could ice the first 24 hours and them after that I could use heat., I go back to work this morning and know I will probably have to take something since I stand on my feet for 8 hours. I am enjoying hot tea, and Soup right now. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

You are much braver than I am - I can't imagine going back to work yet. I get tired just sitting at the computer this morning!

Andy, definitely call your doctor about post-surgical care. It's really important to follow whatever he/she recommends.

I am sorry you are in so much pain but the good news is that it does get better every day. Be gentle with yourself and take your time moving around. Try to walk around a bit too - that will help with any gas you may have. If you are in more pain that you can take, ask your doctor for stronger pain meds in liquid form.

Best wishes to you.

surgery done yesterday. had some anxiety before surgery, but my mom came with me and kept me from bolting out of there lol. Port site has alot of pain. Its hard to sit,stand, and lay down. takeing in 4 oz of Clear liquids every hour. Nausiated once, but no other problems right now.

The nurses gave me an ice pack and i have been using it alot. I don't think the cold is helping but the pressure of holding it there is what is helping in my opinion.

I was banded 3/3/11. The first couple of days were horrible, decided to go back to work 4 days after surgery. BIG MISTAKE! So I took the rest of the week off. After the 5th day I was just sore from my port area and ever since then I've had no problems. I think what was more painful was the hunger pains. You will get through this, if I can get through it anyone can.

This may be totally off subject but I have a question in anticipation of my upcoming surgery. Heregoes...

I'm getting a Realize band and there is no "stitching" involved to place the port.....people that are experience a lot of port pain, is this the Lap Band because that is stitched in?

I've read and others have said that there is a little less pain with the Realize port because it is sort of popped and clasped into place vs. stitching.

Just wondering....

I really hope you are feeling better and everyone says the first few days are the worst....stay ahead of the pain by taking your medication...that is why they give it to us...pain is expected.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thanks everyone for your insights! I do have to realize that my surgery was just yesterday. So I put an ice pack on my port site and it seemed to help some. I will continue to take my pain meds and like you guys said, it will get better everyday!