Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand and Duromine (Phentermine?)

Hiya, so it's been a while since I've been on again. I had my fill reduced to 5.5ml (can basically eat anything) in January, due to having severe reflux etc and I don't go back until June 16. In the last few months, I've written down EVERYTHING i've been eating (Snacks and all) and exercising...but to no avail...I think I've lost maybe 1kg if that....sooo...I had my details printed out and sent to me from my lapband doc and took them to my gp, along with my food diary and to cut a long story short, he's given me 2 scripts for duromine, I'm getting bloodtests done (to check thyroid and for diabetes etc) to be thorough...he also gave me a referall to a dietician and a referral to see a psychologist re: depression about LACK of weightloss.

So my question is...has anyone else used Duromine whilst they've had the band in? Did it work for you or did you think it was a waste of time?I'm hoping it will give my metabolism the kick start it needs to get back on the weightloss wagon...especially when I get my band filled back up again when I go back in June.

I'm really hoping all of the above will help me out...I haven't stopped trying to lose weight seriously since 7 May 2009 when I had the band put in (yes it's almost exactly 2 yrs!)....or for that matter, my entire life! So *fingers crossed* all of the above help! :D

oh. ps. Has anyone else hit their 2yr mark and can't get past a plateau?? I feel like I'm the only one this has ever happened too (although I know I'm not!)..would be good to know how you got past it and if you continued to lose weight?

Calories in vs. calories out; you may be writing down everything you eat but are you weighing it? Measuring it? If not I guarantee you 100% that you're either overeating or undereating; both will cause a halt to your weightloss. I think going on Duromine is stupid/waste of money; Phentermine has nothing to do with your metabolism; it messes with the neurotransmitters within your brain that send out the "I'm hungry" signals.

Start tracking and calorie counting; I bet you'll see a change.

Calories in vs. calories out; you may be writing down everything you eat but are you weighing it? Measuring it? If not I guarantee you 100% that you're either overeating or undereating; both will cause a halt to your weightloss. I think going on Duromine is stupid/waste of money; Phentermine has nothing to do with your metabolism; it messes with the neurotransmitters within your brain that send out the "I'm hungry" signals.

Start tracking and calorie counting; I bet you'll see a change.

Hi,

I am not a supporter of weight loss meds....just my opinion, but I don't think they are worth it....

I know now that I am at a fill level that I think is giving me good restriction....I truly feel full and don't NEED to eat more.....

I do need to ramp up the exercise. I know I am not going to lose all the weight that I want unless I increase my exericise.

If the weight loss meds help you regain a sense of control....then maybe short term they would be worth it.....I would be afraid of them causing health issues.

Good luck

Jackie

Have you ever taken it? I was put on that in my teens, when I was barely 6kg overweight! It is awful stuff, I was climbing the walls, vacuuming my bedroom at 3 am, I was aggressive, had insomnia and yes, no interest in food whatsoever, lost weight easily and regained it in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks when I stopped. It is dangerous stuff that can cause heart problems.

However, when you feel desperate enough, you do what you have to do, and if you're under medical supervision, its your choise. It will probably make it very easy for you to eat hardly anything, but even with a lapband, if yours isnt providing the restriction you need, then rebound weight gain is going to be a problem when you stop taking it - and you cant take it forever, its too dangerous. No doctor will let you do that.

What sort of exercise are you doing - really an hour of cardio a day is going to be necessary when you've already lost a lot of weight - it gets harder and harder and harder to lose it. My weight now, my daily intake needs to be about 1800 calories (WITH an hour of exercise a day) to maintain it, so I wouldnt lose much on 1200 either - you cant eat nothing sot he answer is you've got to burn more. And the exercise may need to be really vigorous - running or interval training etc. Otherwise weight loss does just peter out and may stop at a point you're unhappy with. But duromine is not a long term answer for you, although it will most likely work short term.

Good luck and I agree, if it gives you a renewed control and gets you motivated again, then short term it may be worthwhile.