Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Food Pyramid

Here is the pyramid I was working on for someone on bandsters yahoo so i figured id post it here also... I don’t have my scanner up so I couldnt scan in what i got in my newsletter from the surgeons office. Instead, I just made a new one based on what was given to me from my surgeon's newsletter. I hope this helps many of you who just aren’t sure and weren’t given very good instructions. This also is great if your trying to get back on track. The article, though long, is very informative and useful for any weight loss surgery.

pyramid.jpg

food Guide Pyramid pictured at the above link was designed to provide you with a visual guide of nutrition recommendations after bariatric surgery. I copied this information from my surgeon's office to share with you. Please talk it over with your surgeon because every surgeon's recommendations are different.

Protein: Protein is on the bottom of the pyramid which means that this should be the foundation of your diet after undergoing weight loss surgery. Protein, especially in the first 3 months after surgery, is the most important macronutrient in the diet. We focus on protein intake because our body’s daily functions depend on the amino acids that make up protein. Proteins carry out the work of the living cell by serving as transporters, hormones and enzymes to build, repair and maintain the body's tissues and immune function. Therefore, we recommend you to aim to eat 8-10 ounces of protein per day which is equivalent to 56-70 grams. For example, a cell phone is approximately a 3-4 ounce piece of chicken, fish or meat (depending on thickness) and a computer mouse is about 5-6 ounces. A good way to ensure you are eating adequate protein is to aim for 3 ounces at every meal. Protein sources include low fat or fat free dairy, legumes, lean fish, poultry meat and soy based products.

VEGETABLES: The next food group you should focus on is vegetables. Two servings of colorful and leafy vegetables are recommended daily. A /2 cup of cooked vegetables is probably easier to tolerate at one time than 1 cup of raw vegetables for some people. The more colorful, the more nutritious. Look for deep green, red and orange vegetables. Vegetables not only provide you with essential Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, but also much needed Fiber for bowel health and regularity.

FRUITS: Two servings of fruits are allowed, but remember, fruit skins should be peeled to avoid blocking the gastric outlet or other digestive problems. One serving of fruit would be a small banana, the length of your pinky to your wrist. 15 grapes, or 1/2 cup of sliced fruit (rinsed, not in syrup!) Fruit is also an excellent source of fiber, vitamins and antioxidants.

CARBOHYDRATES: The feared carbohydrates: grains, Beans and starchy vegetables are in one group. (if you recall, legumes (beans) are also a good source of protein). Initially you were told you will not tolerate Gummy breads, rice, or Pasta which still may be true for many of you. However; adding 2-3 ounces of whole grain to your diet after WLS is not going to sabotage your weight loss. In fact, it may help you feel full due to the swelling properties of starch and the filling properties of fiber in the mature pouch. I often recommend 1-2 slices of the light whole wheat bread on the market which has more fiber and half the calories as regular whole wheat breads. The remainder of the carbs in the diet should come from starchy vegetables (like yams) that provide fiber, and other vitamins to complement those found in whole grains.

FATS: Fats should continue to be limited as it imparts more calories per gram (9 calories per gram) than do protein and carbohydrates (4 calories per gram) however, fat is necessary in the diet for Vitamin absorption and for survival. A major source of saturated fat is from fatty meats/protein. Condiments like Salad Dressing, Mayonnaise, cheese dips, creamy sauces, high fat milk and dairy products and fried foods. These you want to avoid. Select healthy fats from olive and canola oil, a couple slices of avocado, or a few tablespoons of slivered almonds on a salad or in a light yogurt. Whenever you are given the choice of low-fat or light dressings, choose those instead of the original full-fat counterparts. You save approximately 120 calories 120 per 2 tablespoon serving! Also use Portion Control when utilizing even the healthy oils. Each tablespoon contains ~130 calories. That's approximately once around an 8" pan if you free pour while cooking.

Although Fluid intake is not shown on the pyramid, adequate hydration is just as important as choosing a healthy, balanced diet. You should aim for at least 64 ounces (8 cups) of caffeine-free fluids each day to prevent dehydration and Constipation. Remember, fluids should be as calorie-free as possible, (I recommend fluids be no more than 45 calories per serving with the exception of some protein supplements and low fat milk) and they should be sipped between meals. Avoid high calorie juices, smoothies and fancy coffee drinks. Save your calories for the enjoyment of whole, nutritious food!

Article by Carol Signore, MAT, LMFT, FAED

Thanks! This is a good reference article to keep on hand!

My GP said to me, years ago, that whatever Government official gave his/her seal of approval to the OLD food Pyramid (the one we all grew up with!) should be shot at sunrise for KILLING tens of thousands of people and causing hundreds of thousands more to develop Type II diabetes!!!