Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats been the hardest thing for you to give up

Sandwichs, I love me a sammie. I am still able to eat some bread, but not freshly baked soft, mmmmmlike Subway...ahh man I want a BMT!!! OH yeah and an ICE cold BEER!!!

HMMM,, BEER, but Vodka on the rocks is very low cal :P

I second the BEER... Everything else goes down fine, and even though there is a bit of diversity about carbonation, and beer doesnt hurt my tummy,I'm gonna live without it. Anyone for some shots???!! :)

I love home-baked bread slathered with butter. I love sandwiches especially on a fresh, chewy kaiser roll. It's going to be a very tough summer without sandwiches for me.

I didnt think I'd given up much, so a few months ago, I would have said that.

But I've been unfilled for four months now and what do I go nuts on? salad, fresh fruit, berries, yogurt. All those cold crunch foods which I could eat but which I just stopped enjoying. They made me too full, caused me discomfort, were difficult to get down, etc. And toast. I am on strict instructions to eat bread (I have an ileostomy and chronic diarrhoea with it) to thicken things up, so I do eat toast for Breakfast again and man, its sooooooo good. I ate all those things with restriction but they werent as enjoyable.

But seriously the hardest thing was (and still is) just learning not to eat out of reflex. Like its 4pm now, I've made a cupppa, kids will be home soon and I've cooked all afternoon for their Snacks, cleaned out and reorganised the pantry, been for a run and I had chemo yesterday. I'm damn tired and feeling a little sick. Its my automatic reaction to treat myself with a couple of sweet biscuits, or one of the cakes I've just made. But I'm truly not actually hungry and I just dont need to eat it. That's hard. Its not even a craving, just an automatic reaction and its still hard. I also find it hard to finish eating when my stomach says satisfied but my head says, that is delicious, keep eating. I find it hard to allow myself a glass of wine and not have the chips with it.

Unlike others, my body doesnt seem to hate carbs so I never gave up Pasta, rice and bread. And now, I eat a carb based diet to manage my ileostomy, and will have to continue to do so once the ileostomy is reversed. It hasnt affected my weight at all, in fact I'm skinny as skinny at the moment.

wow - funny how the band effects us all differently. I'm one of those people who can eat bread, but have never really liked it that much. Roasted chicken is one I miss - I can have it sometimes, others not so well! A good steak with garlic butter.... mmm the thought is good, but it is a def no go with my band!

Oh geez........ I started reading everyone's posts and had to stop. I started craving all this yummy stuff being listed.

LOL, I better not read anymore :)

Goosapotomus – that is great about your surgery! Keep us posted!

Since my surgery I have had problems with coffee. Now I can handle it but have to have it after Breakfast and with lot of fat free condensed milk –yippee!

Pmcclen2 – that is a great plan!

I go for my first fill on March 23 & my clinic has also launched a WLS group so I am attended that too. I went to one local at one of the hospital and found it good.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Kristi

Wow! Reading this made me realize what I miss. I miss a good peace of steak, lettuce salad, bread, Pasta, chocolate, and ice cream. These are all triggers for me and also cause me to get pb's. I am now, un-filled as I have a slip. So, I suppose for the next month I could allow myself to indulge, I promise myself, and you all, I won't. LAst night was the worst, I have been on 2 day fast of Clear Liquids. I wanted anything as I watched TV with my husband. I settled for chicken broth.< img src="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:" />. It was okay. We have to learn to NOT let temptations get into our way of our new life. I have worked too hard to loose over 100 lbs since April 2009 when I started my 6 month diet. Like one of the other folks said, I don't have a gluten allergy, but other members of my family are gluten intolerant, but I sure do get a trigger when I eat bread! Bless you all and keep up the good work. Anything is possible when God is on your side. Karen.