Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help with Pre -op diet

So I started my pre-op diet and Im so hungry its not funny. i get up and drink my protien shack and then repeat at lunch and then at 4oz of meat and 1/2 cup of veggies and sugar free drinks all day but Im starving. My hieght is 5'00 and my wieght is 202 and my bmi is 39. Why Im telling you this cause I read somewhere that the pre-op is mainly for people who have a bmi over 50. I work out 1 hour everyday but now Im so hungry that I just cant seem to make it 40 minutes. Please help me.... By the My surgury is March 15

thanks jen

Pre-op diet is for everyone, not just for people with a BMI over 50. Mine was 45 I think; I still had a pre-op diet. Either way if your doctor prescribed one to you, you need to follow it. It is very hard to do but in the end your body is well-prepared for surgery and you'll heal a lot better.

Maybe try cutting down or cutting out the exercise as you're probably not even eating half of what you were.

Good luck.

Hey Jen! We have the same surgery date!!

I had my hsake at 8am, and never did feel full. it's 9am now and well, I'm ravenous. Keep drinking Water...and my plan to help keep my mouth busy is to drink plain tea with splenda in abundance. Will gum help you at all? Just remmeber it's only a week, and I'd love to help support you! I meant to start this yesterday then realized I didn't have to start till today so after a panick attack I ate last night...

my BMI is 52, btw. The doc wants me down 10 pounds over 7 days (is that even possible???)

Hi Jennielee! My surgery date is March 16th and I'm on week two of my pre-op liquid diet. My bmi is only 40 but my surgeon said everyone has to do it to shrink your liver prior to surgery. I was required to use Optifast shakes 4 times a day, one Optifast bar and one Optifast Soup. The first few days of the diet were a struggle but after that I guess your body gets used to it and I didn't feel as hungry. I was more a mental battle of wanting to eat than it was being hungry. I've noticed that drinking a lot of Water has helped a lot also. Good luck! You can do it! Hang in there!!

I have never heard the 50 BMI "rule". The point of the diet is to "de fat" the liver. A low fat/carb diet for 2 weeks can reduce the size of the liver by 25%! Watch a real surgery on YouTube and you will see how they flip it right out the way. So you want it to be pliable. The fatter the liver the more fragile it becomes. If it makes you feel any better some doctors require an all liquid diet no solids.

I don't know if I agree about cutting out exercise. My doctor put me on a 500 cal diet, I weighed 334 pounds and did an hour of cardio a day (swimming). When I asked him would'nt a diet soo low in calories be a problem for someone who exercised daily he said "why would it?"

Just to touch on the liver...

Back in 2005 I had laparoscopic surgery to rmeove my gallbladder. The surgeon noted I had fatty liver, and because of the size/condition of my liver it caused some extra bleeding that left me in the hospital a day longer than anticipated. So it really is important. Actually that whole surgery led to me doing the lap band today (surgeon recommended bariatric surgery way back then)

HI!

I know Im trying so hard but the shakes are so nasty. For dinner I had chicken breast with veggies and pink lemonade but after a while I was still hungry Im trying I just dont understand. When Is your surgury?? Good Luck

Hey Jen! We have the same surgery date!!

I had my hsake at 8am, and never did feel full. it's 9am now and well, I'm ravenous. Keep drinking Water...and my plan to help keep my mouth busy is to drink plain tea with splenda in abundance. Will gum help you at all? Just remmeber it's only a week, and I'd love to help support you! I meant to start this yesterday then realized I didn't have to start till today so after a panick attack I ate last night...

my BMI is 52, btw. The doc wants me down 10 pounds over 7 days (is that even possible???)

Hello,

Yes my doctor, acted the same way like keep exercising you wont die. Im so scared!! But Im trying so hard but my stomach just growls I did have some broth and Im gonna make sugar free Jello,

thanks

jen

I have never heard the 50 BMI "rule". The point of the diet is to "de fat" the liver. A low fat/carb diet for 2 weeks can reduce the size of the liver by 25%! Watch a real surgery on YouTube and you will see how they flip it right out the way. So you want it to be pliable. The fatter the liver the more fragile it becomes. If it makes you feel any better some doctors require an all liquid diet no solids.

I don't know if I agree about cutting out exercise. My doctor put me on a 500 cal diet, I weighed 334 pounds and did an hour of cardio a day (swimming). When I asked him would'nt a diet soo low in calories be a problem for someone who exercised daily he said "why would it?"

My surgery is also the 15th of March

The Protein shakes are way better to me with milk than Water. I;ve done 3 today and will wait till 6pm for dinner (a frozen WW meal)...it's very difficult. :angry:

HI!

I know Im trying so hard but the shakes are so nasty. For dinner I had chicken breast with veggies and pink lemonade but after a while I was still hungry Im trying I just dont understand. When Is your surgury?? Good Luck

I start my liquid diet on Sunday. I thought it was supposed to start one and a half weeks ago (2 shakes and lean Protein for dinner) but ended up getting a sinus infection and talking to my surgeon's office. Mine is 5 days of liquids. I am dreading it but will do it to the best of my ability. I wish I could help you with more advice. The one thing I did was stock up on herbal teas. I am going to be drinking those with spenda for most of the days so I don't feel as hungry. We will get through this part.

my doctor says no milk in the shakes at all. He also says no frozen meals Im limited to 4oz Protein and 1/2 veggies . I have sugar free Jello and broth but other than that nothing.

My surgery is also the 15th of March

The Protein Shakes are way better to me with milk than Water. I;ve done 3 today and will wait till 6pm for dinner (a frozen WW meal)...it's very difficult. :angry:

Thanks For your help. But I hate tea I wish I liked it but I dont. I have been drinking sugar free lemonade.. The shakes are nasty but I only 6 more days of it.

thanks jen

I start my liquid diet on Sunday. I thought it was supposed to start one and a half weeks ago (2 shakes and lean Protein for dinner) but ended up getting a sinus infection and talking to my surgeon's office. Mine is 5 days of liquids. I am dreading it but will do it to the best of my ability. I wish I could help you with more advice. The one thing I did was stock up on herbal teas. I am going to be drinking those with spenda for most of the days so I don't feel as hungry. We will get through this part.

Hey Jen. We have the same surgery date! I've been doing the liquid diet since the 4th and though it was hard at first I think your body gets used to it. I'm on complete liquid (besides sugar free jello).

Good luck!!

The homemade Protein Shakes can really be made tasty if you use skim milk and add a teaspoon or so of sugar free pudding mix powder a few ice cubes and a splash of liquid food flavoring like almond(that's my favorite). It actually tastes like a slightly loose chocolate shake. My dr's office gave us a whole list of homemade recipes that are very tasty. Even have one for eggnog that is very good as well. The food flavorings that you use in holiday Cookies are really a life saver along with those pudding mix powders. Good luck everyone.

Jen how's it going today?

I started using 6 ox fat free milk and 4 ounces of Water (that's an extra 2 ounces of fluid) for my shakes to decrease the milk a bit, but I also find the shakes too THICK and that's with using flat scoops when they are supposed to be rounded.

I called my clinic today to ask if adding a serving of veggies is ok and they said YES (but that's just my doc). so, I have my hubby stopping on his way home to get cucumbers, carrots, and celery and rice vinegar- she also ok'd pickles so I just had about an ounce of chopped pickle. It really helped. I feel like I need something to chew on.

Have you tried various sugar free flavors for Water (like crystal light, ocean spray?) There's a blueberry lemonade by oocean spray that is AWESOME.