Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melody, Melody, Melody ...

I cut my carbs a couple of weeks ago, and the results were mixed:

The good news is that I lost 6 lbs in one week. YAY! (And that was based on my doctor's scale -- had two appts a week apart). I was thrilled to see such great progress in my weight loss.

The bad news is that I tied up my kids and put them in a closet because their music was too loud. They are big (20 and 22) so I had to let them out cuz they were kicking the walls so much that the neighbors were sure to call the police ... eventually. :rolleyes: I was rude to everyone, including my bosses ... had a really hard time censoring myself and almost told one of my bosses that if he changed his travel plans ONE MORE TIME, his next trip would be to SIBERIA - ONE WAY! :angry: I did manage to keep those particular words in my head ... so I still have a job ... for the moment. I was just MEAN, GRUMPY and IRRITABLE.

I was jonesing for my carbs sooooo badly. I felt like an addict! Bottom line is that cutting carbs really does work. I just have to find a way to do it so that I don't lose my mind, job, and family in the process. :(

I'm working on it. I won't give up.

~Fran

Hahahaha-- oh I've been there.

I am not a crying-type. I am pretty emotionally laid back overall. But the first time I cut out carbs, on day three, I had a hysterical crying fit when I realized that the seasoning I put on my chicken had 4g carbs. I'm talking sobbing, snotting, crying. I was INSANE.

My husband talked me off the ledge, ate my carby-seasoned chicken and made me more with a no-carb seasoning. But now I know that for 3 days of carb detoxing, I am not in my right mind.

LOL all this talk of carbs is making me want food....wait is it stomach hunger or head hunger....head I guess, darn

Hahahaha-- oh I've been there.

I am not a crying-type. I am pretty emotionally laid back overall. But the first time I cut out carbs, on day three, I had a hysterical crying fit when I realized that the seasoning I put on my chicken had 4g carbs. I'm talking sobbing, snotting, crying. I was INSANE.

My husband talked me off the ledge, ate my carby-seasoned chicken and made me more with a no-carb seasoning. But now I know that for 3 days of carb detoxing, I am not in my right mind.

The saying nothing taste as good in your mouth as being thin has been my motivator. Just joined curves to try to get this last horrid 30lbs that wont move off of me. Run for your bathing suit.

quote name='mattie7632' timestamp='1298950145' post='1579885']

I hear ya!

I think we have an amazing ability to sabotage our own success, though. I am struggling with that myself.

It helps me IMMENSELY if the bad food choices are not even brought into my house....if they're there and I see them...well it's a 50/50 chance I'm gonna eat them. Surround yourself with good stuff and see if it's easier to get back on track.

what kind of good food choices??? I can't eat grilled anything, no salad, hardly any veggies with out spitting up, and I am hungry after I spit up. I have lost between 90 and 95 pounds in about 14 months and I still have 50 to go. I see all my old bad eatting habits showing back up...sweets and chips. I'm trying to control it, but it's getting harder.

quote name='mattie7632' timestamp='1298950145' post='1579885']

I hear ya!

I think we have an amazing ability to sabotage our own success, though. I am struggling with that myself.

It helps me IMMENSELY if the bad food choices are not even brought into my house....if they're there and I see them...well it's a 50/50 chance I'm gonna eat them. Surround yourself with good stuff and see if it's easier to get back on track.

what kind of good food choices??? I can't eat grilled anything, no salad, hardly any veggies with out spitting up, and I am hungry after I spit up. I have lost between 90 and 95 pounds in about 14 months and I still have 50 to go. I see all my old bad eatting habits showing back up...sweets and chips. I'm trying to control it, but it's getting harder.

Grilling usually dries things out pretty quickly. What about baked meats? "Wet" meats or slow-cooked meats in the crock pot?

If you can't get down solid Proteins and veggies, then it sounds like you might be too tight. I know, it's a delicate balance-- too loose and you're hungry, too tight and you can't eat anything so you lose, but you're still hungry. I've heard of plenty of bandsters who get just a little taken out and find huge relief and the ability to eat healthy foods again. It definitely requires some patience, and perseverance. The fact that you've lost so much tells me you have both inside you, maybe hiding behind the frustration. That's ok-- I'd be frustrated too, but frustration run amok never did anybody any good, you know what I mean?

I wish you the best.

You all are cracking me up...because I've 'been there done that' when I started low carbing. My husband wanted to stick me in a padded closet and throw away the key. I felt like a crack addict going through withdrawal...and that's when it hit me...I *was* going through withdrawal! I've done low carb on and off over the years but I always thought of it as a diet. This time, I'm treating carbs the way an alcoholic treats alcohol...and I've been much more successful because it's shaped *how* I think about them. They aren't just something I have to give up for a time...they're something I have to avoid completely.

If you can go cold turkey and cut your carbs all at one time (and not kill everyone around you), then do it. If you don't cheat even a little bit, by the beginning of week two, you'll notice a lessening of the cravings and you'll start to feel better. By the end of week two, you should feel pretty good and energetic. If you cheat even once, you're starting the whole process over.

If that's too much, then do it in stages. It's better to do it slowly and be successful, than never get through that induction period at all. Week one - cut the sugar. I also cut out the artificial sweetener because that sweet taste in my mouth makes me crave sweets/carbs. If you can get rid of it, do it...but if you can't, don't stress too much about it. Same with caffeine. If you can get rid of it, do it...but if you can't, I know many low carbers who won't give up their caffeinated coffee, tea or diet drinks. Caffeine tends to stimulate cravings so if you can cut back or eliminate, all the better. When I first started, I drank Decaf tea and coffee and the Crystal Lite cherry pomegranate drinks. Now I only do the coffee, tea and Water.< /p>

Week two - cut out the wheat products. You can still have rice, potatoes and beans...but no wheat, not even 'whole grain'. By doing this, you'll automatically be bringing your carbs down.

Week three - eliminate all carbs except those found in vegies. Again, your carbs will automatically reduce.

Week four - drop your carbs to at least 60gm. After that you can lower them as much as you like, but 30-60gm is considered low carb.

The only trick to doing low carb successfully is understanding that even *one* cheat will get those carbs into your system and start the cravings all over. Most likely due to the insulin response.

The nice thing about dropping your carbs down to 30gm per day is that you can eat a higher fat diet (and fat is what quiets the hunger). A high carb, high fat diet leads to health problems. A low carb, high fat diet doesn't. I get lab work done every 6 months due to my diabetes and after 6 months of consistently eating a low carb (below 30gm per day) diet that is considered high fat (60-70% - 60-70gm on a 1000 calorie diet)...and my LDL/HDL is in normal range and I'm no longer taking insulin.

Here's what I had to eat yesterday. This is a typical day for me now. If you want to know what I ate during my first week of total carb withdrawal...triple it. Seriously, I was eating like 2500 calories, 30gm carbs per day for the first week or so. So, yesterday's menu:

B: 1 egg cooked in .2 oz butter and 2 slices bacon (.5 oz)

L: Chef's salad with 1.5 cups romaine, chopped hard boiled egg, 1 oz diced chicken, .5 oz crumbled bacon and 2 Tbs of homemade full fat blue cheese dressing

D: 3 oz pork chop fried in 1 Tbs olive oil, 1 cup asparagus with .5 oz lemon pepper herbed butter

Snack: sugar free Jello with .5 oz whipped cream

Most people thing "whoa...look at the fat in this diet". Yep...and that's what keeps me from getting hungry.

About 3 weeks ago, when I realized I was most likely going to lose this band, I got very serious about my diet. No 'little' cheats here and there. I forced myself to eat only at meals (7 a.m., noon and 6 p.m.) and if hungry between, I drank lots of warm tea and chicken broth. Now I don't get hungry between meals. I attribute that to no blood sugar swings because no carbs to react to.

After a year of losing 1 lb per week. I've lost 13 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I'd say the difference is consistency and lowering my carbs (mine are under 20gm these days).

Hope this answers everyone's questions and I hope it didn't come off as preachy. We all need to find the WOE that works for us...and this works for me. :)

This was me last summer...right before a complete unfill so my band area could heal from the swelling due to constant stuck episodes.

According to my surgeon, if I was following the rules of small toddler sized bites, chewing well and eating slowly...and no drinking with meals...and still unable to eat Protein or vegies, then I had too much fill and each stuck episode caused me to swell further just exacerbating the problem, leading me to eat sliders - sweets, chips, etc.

So he took all the fill out and let me 'rest' for 6 weeks. Then we started putting the fill back in. I ended up with almost 2cc less. My .02...get some fill taken out and be kind to your band while the swelling goes down. :)

You all are cracking me up...because I've 'been there done that' when I started low carbing. My husband wanted to stick me in a padded closet and throw away the key. I felt like a crack addict going through withdrawal...and that's when it hit me...I *was* going through withdrawal! I've done low carb on and off over the years but I always thought of it as a diet. This time, I'm treating carbs the way an alcoholic treats alcohol...and I've been much more successful because it's shaped *how* I think about them. They aren't just something I have to give up for a time...they're something I have to avoid completely.

If you can go cold turkey and cut your carbs all at one time (and not kill everyone around you), then do it. If you don't cheat even a little bit, by the beginning of week two, you'll notice a lessening of the cravings and you'll start to feel better. By the end of week two, you should feel pretty good and energetic. If you cheat even once, you're starting the whole process over.

If that's too much, then do it in stages. It's better to do it slowly and be successful, than never get through that induction period at all. Week one - cut the sugar. I also cut out the artificial sweetener because that sweet taste in my mouth makes me crave sweets/carbs. If you can get rid of it, do it...but if you can't, don't stress too much about it. Same with caffeine. If you can get rid of it, do it...but if you can't, I know many low carbers who won't give up their caffeinated coffee, tea or diet drinks. Caffeine tends to stimulate cravings so if you can cut back or eliminate, all the better. When I first started, I drank Decaf tea and coffee and the Crystal Lite cherry pomegranate drinks. Now I only do the coffee, tea and Water.< /p>

Week two - cut out the wheat products. You can still have rice, potatoes and beans...but no wheat, not even 'whole grain'. By doing this, you'll automatically be bringing your carbs down.

Week three - eliminate all carbs except those found in vegies. Again, your carbs will automatically reduce.

Week four - drop your carbs to at least 60gm. After that you can lower them as much as you like, but 30-60gm is considered low carb.

The only trick to doing low carb successfully is understanding that even *one* cheat will get those carbs into your system and start the cravings all over. Most likely due to the insulin response.

The nice thing about dropping your carbs down to 30gm per day is that you can eat a higher fat diet (and fat is what quiets the hunger). A high carb, high fat diet leads to health problems. A low carb, high fat diet doesn't. I get lab work done every 6 months due to my diabetes and after 6 months of consistently eating a low carb (below 30gm per day) diet that is considered high fat (60-70% - 60-70gm on a 1000 calorie diet)...and my LDL/HDL is in normal range and I'm no longer taking insulin.

Here's what I had to eat yesterday. This is a typical day for me now. If you want to know what I ate during my first week of total carb withdrawal...triple it. Seriously, I was eating like 2500 calories, 30gm carbs per day for the first week or so. So, yesterday's menu:

B: 1 egg cooked in .2 oz butter and 2 slices bacon (.5 oz)

L: Chef's salad with 1.5 cups romaine, chopped hard boiled egg, 1 oz diced chicken, .5 oz crumbled bacon and 2 Tbs of homemade full fat blue cheese dressing

D: 3 oz pork chop fried in 1 Tbs olive oil, 1 cup asparagus with .5 oz lemon pepper herbed butter

Snack: sugar free Jello with .5 oz whipped cream

Most people thing "whoa...look at the fat in this diet". Yep...and that's what keeps me from getting hungry.

About 3 weeks ago, when I realized I was most likely going to lose this band, I got very serious about my diet. No 'little' cheats here and there. I forced myself to eat only at meals (7 a.m., noon and 6 p.m.) and if hungry between, I drank lots of warm tea and chicken broth. Now I don't get hungry between meals. I attribute that to no blood sugar swings because no carbs to react to.

After a year of losing 1 lb per week. I've lost 13 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I'd say the difference is consistency and lowering my carbs (mine are under 20gm these days).

Hope this answers everyone's questions and I hope it didn't come off as preachy. We all need to find the WOE that works for us...and this works for me. :)

Not preachy at all. Thanks for this great and informative post. This is EXACTLY the kind of posts that I think struggling bansters need to read. Full of great information and suggestions, not judgemental, not "you failed the band, it didn't fail you", etc.. Thanks again. I will copy this and give it a try.

This was me last summer...right before a complete unfill so my band area could heal from the swelling due to constant stuck episodes.

According to my surgeon, if I was following the rules of small toddler sized bites, chewing well and eating slowly...and no drinking with meals...and still unable to eat Protein or vegies, then I had too much fill and each stuck episode caused me to swell further just exacerbating the problem, leading me to eat sliders - sweets, chips, etc.

So he took all the fill out and let me 'rest' for 6 weeks. Then we started putting the fill back in. I ended up with almost 2cc less. My .02...get some fill taken out and be kind to your band while the swelling goes down. :)

Hi There

I was interested to read your post as I have had a lot of fill taken out as the pouch has been stretched from being too tight and constantly having food stuck, I am now able to eat anything which is a novelty after months of food getting stuck and being miserable and of course the wieght not shifting because as you said you eat sliders like ice cream and chips. I am worried about gaining during this time and intereseted that you said you had to wait 6 weeks, so when you started to get fill put back in was it small amounts and how often? Did everything go well after that? Did the weight start coming off again ok? I am just so worried that I will balloon up I am trying to be good but very hard when I can now eat good food.

Kathy

I thank you all for your advice and encouraging words..i didn't start this thread but I feel the same as the person who did, i feel like i am failing myself. I thought that the band would make it easier for me to control my eating but it hasn't. I make worse choices with food since I have been banded then I did pre-band, I thought the band would help me to live like a thinner person..but maybe I don't really know how thinner people live..maybe they watch their eating habits. I go to see my surgeon next week and I will take all of your advice and have her check my band and tell her that I am not doing so well with my choices and I think I will seek therapy for my food addiction..I never thought of myself as a food addict before but I must be because I think about food all the time, I love food it makes me feel good emotionally, if I feel like I have to diet i get depressed and sad and feel like there is not much to live for...I also used to excercise a lot more before I was banded, i have totally lost my motivation. I hope to regain it soon i can't go on like this much longer. I will also ask for a fill next week. thank you so much to the person who prayed for us all...what a blessing that was. thanks!

Sorry to shout, but I'm frustrated that I'm turning into one of those unsuccessful band patients. I was banded with Realize 3 years ago and lost about 35 lbs. Now I've plateau'ed, lost my motivation, eat junk, and have wasted $20K on this surgery only to find out my problem is in my head. My band is filled to capacity and I occassionally get stuck and throw up food. I eat the same types of food as before, just not as much. But I still eat a hell of a lot! I haven't gained the 35 back, but I need to lose another 35! Any advise would be welcome. Thanks.

I thank you all for your advice and encouraging words..i didn't start this thread but I feel the same as the person who did, i feel like i am failing myself. I thought that the band would make it easier for me to control my eating but it hasn't. I make worse choices with food since I have been banded then I did pre-band, I thought the band would help me to live like a thinner person..but maybe I don't really know how thinner people live..maybe they watch their eating habits. I go to see my surgeon next week and I will take all of your advice and have her check my band and tell her that I am not doing so well with my choices and I think I will seek therapy for my food addiction..I never thought of myself as a food addict before but I must be because I think about food all the time, I love food it makes me feel good emotionally, if I feel like I have to diet i get depressed and sad and feel like there is not much to live for...I also used to excercise a lot more before I was banded, i have totally lost my motivation. I hope to regain it soon i can't go on like this much longer. I will also ask for a fill next week. thank you so much to the person who prayed for us all...what a blessing that was. thanks!

Sorry to shout, but I'm frustrated that I'm turning into one of those unsuccessful band patients. I was banded with Realize 3 years ago and lost about 35 lbs. Now I've plateau'ed, lost my motivation, eat junk, and have wasted $20K on this surgery only to find out my problem is in my head. My band is filled to capacity and I occassionally get stuck and throw up food. I eat the same types of food as before, just not as much. But I still eat a hell of a lot! I haven't gained the 35 back, but I need to lose another 35! Any advise would be welcome. Thanks.

@bandme, I totally understand. I was banded 2 years ago (or was it 3?) and lost 30-40lbs post op, and pretty much nothing else since. In my case, I've had a series of horrible life events happen that just made me turn to my old habit of eating my feelings. Not the brightest idea, but then who said I was thinking?! Anyways, I've regrouped now and am struggling to get back on the band wagon. Heck, just today I think I went 3 different stores, stared at the candy aisle, picked up a bag of chocolate, and put it back down. I felt like an idiot at the time, but now I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. It's taken me 20years of eating for the wrong reasons and sabotaging my health, so it's not like getting the band would somehow magically change all that, right? The other thing I'm doing, is I'm trying to get myself into an exercise routine. All my successful attempts at losing weight happened when I exercised, only because I felt better about myself and more motivated to put good stuff into my body after working out. My theory, is that once I get into and exercise routine that I enjoy, the rest will be easier to do - at least for me. I've come to terms with the fact that I will never be one of those people who will lose a dramatic amount of weight easily with the this band. It takes a lot work, especially on all the psychological stuff that has created this.

Okay, I am starting this by saying I am preaching. If you don't want to read it, skip this.

I AM SHOUTING THIS....THERE IS NO CURE FOR OBESITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this is well documented by professionals)

All weight loss surgeries are TOOLS to deal with the side effects of obesity--weight, joint pain, high blood pressure, etc.. but they are NOT CURES!!!!!!!!!!

The only "cure" for obesity is cutting out bad food and bad choices. Yes, that sucks. I know that. But there is no cure for cancer either--just chemo and radiation and that may or may not work. But people accept that help because they want to rid themselves of the cancer. You accepted the band because you didn't want to be obese anymore. But you are defeating the purpose of your choice for fighting obesity but eating all the wrong things and overeating. (by your own admission)

Those that look at weight loss surgery as a cure are fooling themselves. It takes courage, determination, the willingness to get back on the boat when you have fallen off and are flaying in the ocean, and most important mental fortitude to overcome this problem.

People that are obese are addicted to food. You need to own up to that and the choices you make daily. I constantly repeat to myself that "there is not cure for obesity" and that I am instrumental in overcoming this addiction.

Yes, I have made crappy choices in the past year a half. Yes, I have fallen off the diet wagon but I pull myself up again and start over. Sometimes, that means doing a 2-3 day Protein shake only choice or I simply eat properly again. Either way, I am the only one responsible for what goes in my mouth.

You are right...it is just a tool but when the tool does not work as advertised and promised, it's a bit like buying a screwdriver when you needed a hammer.

Many of us were told that the band would restrict the quantity of food we eat. That's what I was reading on this forum and what I was being told by the clinic during my research period for WLS. It *NEVER* did...and it doesn't for most of us. We needed a screwdriver and were sold a hammer.

I do think the bariatric community does not put enough emphasis on how much hard work is involved because even if the band does control the hunger, the person still has to overcome years/decades of bad eating habits. Habits the person needs to be working on even before they get to where their band is working as well.

One of the things I learned over the last 16 months of being banded is that the band is not the right 'tool' for me. The cravings and obsession over food never went away. All the time I thought it was hunger driving me, it wasn't. It was the physical cravings and the band did nothing about them.

Long story short...I discovered that my problem was that *all* carbs (with the exception of the low carb vegies), cause such an immediate and intense reaction in my insulin levels and that's what caused the physical cravings I mistook for hunger. After 2 weeks of no grains/gluten and non-vegie starches (wheat, rice, Pasta, potatoes, etc.), my cravings were gone. I have no fill in my band and I'm eating about 800-900 calories per day...and I'm not hungry!

The point I'm trying to make is that even though the band isn't a miracle cure...that's the way it's being pushed. So too many people who need that hammer are buying the screwdriver.