Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think the lapband is COMPLETELY misrepresented, starting with the commercial. I most certainly did not learn the real facts about it from the doctors! Not even close! If my band never does more for me than it is currently, I also would say it's "NOT WORKING", because it's definitely not doing what $20k TOOL is advertised to do. I am doing the work and I have absolute and complete control over my results.

I would also like to point out something that recently came to the forefront of my mind, about why we have to do a lot of the work, because this is misunderstood, myself included at first--

People lose weight differently. My husband, for example, can drop carbs and lose 20# in a month. Me, I have to rev up my metabolism and eat 5-6 small meals a day to lose ....and maybe Judy has to exercise more or Jane has to "eat right for her body type", etc, to get the fat burning process started. True, the lapband alone probably will cause us to lose some weight, but for many of us that isn't enough to lose a ton. I think if we realize that the goal is to firestart fat burning, we might then see the band for what it really is.

Melody, I agree and think the carb thing is true for all of us, but most just don't realize. Perhaps this is why our doctors tell us Protein shakes, eat Protein first, because they know it will take the protein to kill the cravings :)

You are right...it is just a tool but when the tool does not work as advertised and promised, it's a bit like buying a screwdriver when you needed a hammer.

Many of us were told that the band would restrict the quantity of food we eat. That's what I was reading on this forum and what I was being told by the clinic during my research period for WLS. It *NEVER* did...and it doesn't for most of us. We needed a screwdriver and were sold a hammer.

I do think the bariatric community does not put enough emphasis on how much hard work is involved because even if the band does control the hunger, the person still has to overcome years/decades of bad eating habits. Habits the person needs to be working on even before they get to where their band is working as well.

One of the things I learned over the last 16 months of being banded is that the band is not the right 'tool' for me. The cravings and obsession over food never went away. All the time I thought it was hunger driving me, it wasn't. It was the physical cravings and the band did nothing about them.

Long story short...I discovered that my problem was that *all* carbs (with the exception of the low carb vegies), cause such an immediate and intense reaction in my insulin levels and that's what caused the physical cravings I mistook for hunger. After 2 weeks of no grains/gluten and non-vegie starches (wheat, rice, Pasta, potatoes, etc.), my cravings were gone. I have no fill in my band and I'm eating about 800-900 calories per day...and I'm not hungry!

The point I'm trying to make is that even though the band isn't a miracle cure...that's the way it's being pushed. So too many people who need that hammer are buying the screwdriver.

I have never once seen a commercial promising that the band will make me loose weight with no work at all. And remember that it is an commercial and commercials are advertisements to get one interested in a particular product. It is up to us to research and talk to our doctors. If they promised the band to be the cure all then there would be alot of law suits I would think.

Even the booklet I have says that it "applies to the general population of individuals who MAY benefit from the band."

and

"Ultimately you are responsible for your transformation to better health. If you follow these guidelines, you can enjoy the benefits of success. But if you snack between meals, eat high-calorie foods, do not exercise regularly, and do not see your health care team regularly, you MAY FAIL TO LOOSE WEIGHT OR MAY REGAIN WEIGHT."

and

"it cannot do all the work for you" and so much more.

It doesn't say that it will take away food cravings and obsession over food. I haven't been banded that long, not long enough to see if this will work for me or not. But I will say that I have 100% confidence that if I do EXACTLY what is told of me then I will be successful. Will it be hard, sure it will. I don't want to watch every thing that goes into my mouth. It didn't work before so why now? Because I have this TOOL, that has been implanted to HELP me and I can do it.

I am sure that we all had different thoughts of how this band will work. Honestly I didn't realize just how much work I would have to do until I got to this site and read up even more. My girlfriend can eat EVERYTHING, and I mean everything!!! Brownies, candy, Cookies, cake, pop, etc.. everything that if I look at I gain weight. I, at first, thought that I would be able to loose w/ the band and still eat whatever. NOT SO!! I have found out in this last 2.5 weeks that I have to watch everything in that goes into my mouth, I have some bad habbits to over come! And I have to work out!

For everyone who was mislead by the advertising and there doctors I am so sorry that you were. It STINKS! But what I, personallly, been told and have read says that I have to do the work, that the lap band is just a tool. As far as the "head" issues, that is up to me, not the band.

But I will say that I have 100% confidence that if I do EXACTLY what is told of me then I will be successful. Will it be hard, sure it will. I don't want to watch every thing that goes into my mouth. It didn't work before so why now? Because I have this TOOL, that has been implanted to HELP me and I can do it.

Just curious...you say if you do exactly as you're told, you'll be successful. Since you said that didn't work before the band, you must have some expectations of what the band will actually do to make you successful now, yes?

Now what happens when the band does not 'do' what you think it will? Essentially, you're right back where you were pre-band...doing it on your own.

I can honestly say that the band had no part in any of the weight I lost. If anything, it slowed my progress because I went through stages where I couldn't eat the foods I needed to and, because of hunger, resorted to the higher calorie/carb sliders.

I'm very very happy for those who are successful with their band, but both sides of the story needs to be told. The *band* does fail people. There are many of us who did exactly what we were supposed to...and yes, we even lost weight...but we did it with no thanks to the band. People who come to these boards need to see both sides...not just the 'happily ever after' fairytale endings. It's the only way they'll be able to make an informed decision.

Pretend I clicked on the LIKE button.

Just curious...you say if you do exactly as you're told, you'll be successful. Since you said that didn't work before the band, you must have some expectations of what the band will actually do to make you successful now, yes?

Now what happens when the band does not 'do' what you think it will? Essentially, you're right back where you were pre-band...doing it on your own.

I can honestly say that the band had no part in any of the weight I lost. If anything, it slowed my progress because I went through stages where I couldn't eat the foods I needed to and, because of hunger, resorted to the higher calorie/carb sliders.

I'm very very happy for those who are successful with their band, but both sides of the story needs to be told. The *band* does fail people. There are many of us who did exactly what we were supposed to...and yes, we even lost weight...but we did it with no thanks to the band. People who come to these boards need to see both sides...not just the 'happily ever after' fairytale endings. It's the only way they'll be able to make an informed decision.

I don't recall once saying that I did exactly as I was told prior to being banded. Obviously or I wouldn't have needed to resort to WLS!

Of coarse there are expectations! Do you think one would resort to WLS without some sort of expectations? I am assuming that you would like to know what they are? The band is a tool that I choose to have implanted. It is going to help me with portion size. Now that can be brownies, ice cream or dense Protein. The choice of what is put into my mouth is mine and mine alone. Will it stop the "head" issues as so many refer to? Nope, how could is possibly? And to think it would would really be foolish. Will is stop cravings of food that I shouldn't have? Again, foolish thinking.

I will have to work my a$$ off and workout! I am fortunate enough to have a really good doctor who was up front about all of these things. The band cannot and will not loose weight for me. The band will not stop cravings of foods I should not have. The band will not stop one from thinking of food all the time. I have to work out a minimum of 5 days a week, eat high Protein, fat free and low sugar. It is going to be alot of hard work on my part, ALOT. Is it going to be hard, you bet it is! But I know that and am not going in with blinders on because I was aware of all the possible "bad" things that could happen too. Again, I have a GREAT doctor who has a great support group and alot of honesty.

IF the band doesn't work for me, yes I would be back to where I was pre-band. So what? Would I be any worse off for trying? No. For me there are way to many successful people that I choose to consult with to find out what I should and shouldn't do. I know my body, I loose weight when I eat healthy and exercise. That is what works for me, always has. I just didn't want to do it all these years. I am also a firm believer that if we aren't ready mentally (and in the past I wasn't) has a big part of not being successful with any form of trying to loose weight, wether it is WLS or just a "diet". When I became ready mentally as well as emotionally something clicked and I just new it, I new that I was/am 100% ready to do give it my all and succeed. You can argue me about it but it is what it is.

I am not saying that those whom the band didn't work for didn't try 100% or even 90%. I am not saying that you "failed" etc... I am telling MY STORY. My thoughts of MY JOURNEY. No one else's, only mine. So please don't say that I am saying others didn't work hard, etc. That is NOT what I am saying at all.

I am sorry that the band didn't work for you. But look what YOU and you alone accomplished! Your weight loss rocks! No matter how long it took (I have no idea).

I don't believe that the band not working though is what caused you to choose higher caloric sliders. There are many foods that we can choose that will satisfy us that are low cal and healthy. Again, it is our choice as to what we eat. Now maybe being frustrated and upset that what the band was portrayed to you and wasn't what you were finding it to be got you upset and you ate unhealthy (emotional eater, like I am?). But the band itself didn't make you eat that. That was the impression I got when I read your post, if I am wrong then I am sorry, I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring.

I NEVER said that we should only post "happily ever after fairy tale" stories. I am not sure where that is coming from! I also never said that both sides should not be told. As a matter of fact I argued that same statement when someone who was struggling and posted (another thread) for help got replies from others who are finding success and some had a problem with it. I got grief from a few too about feeling that way.

These boards are not just for the OP to read the replies. We have people from all walks coming and reading. Those who it didn't work for, those it did, those who are struggling, those who have questions and those who are researching. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT BOTH SIDES ARE TOLD! Knowledge is power and the more knowledge we have the more power we have.

What I don't understand is why someone can't post without being "challenged" by others. It gets very annoying very quick!

I don't recall once saying that I did exactly as I was told prior to being banded.

The band is a tool that I choose to have implanted. It is going to help me with portion size.

So please don't say that I am saying others didn't work hard, etc. That is NOT what I am saying at all.

I don't believe that the band not working though is what caused you to choose higher caloric sliders. There are many foods that we can choose that will satisfy us that are low cal and healthy. Again, it is our choice as to what we eat. Now maybe being frustrated and upset that what the band was portrayed to you and wasn't what you were finding it to be got you upset and you ate unhealthy (emotional eater, like I am?). But the band itself didn't make you eat that.

What I don't understand is why someone can't post without being "challenged" by others. It gets very annoying very quick!

No...didn't say you were able to do exactly as told before the band...but if you can do so after the band, that implies the band must be doing something...or you expect it to. :)

Ok...your expectation is that the band will help you with portion size. That sounds like you expect it to give physical restriction. You might be one of the fortunate ones. For many of us, who also thought it would help with portion size, it doesn't. You are right that the choice to put down the fork and choose the right foods is up to us...but if the band doesn't do its job, then we're in the same boat we were prior to the band...doing it on our own.

I was not implying that your post was accusatory towards those failed by the band. Sorry if it sounded that way.

And yes, it was the band causing me to deliberately choose sliders because the Protein and vegies would not go through the band no matter how small of a bite or how well I chewed. So I had to resort to thinks like yogurt which, for me, are killers due to the carb counts in them. Maybe someone else can live on one yogurt for a meal, but it wasn't even taking the edge off the hunger. I wasn't eating sliders out of emotional frustration. I was eating them because I was hungry from not being able to eat. :huh:

I don't see them as 'challenging' posts so much as 'my experiences were different'...and the back and forth (like this post to you) is just a continuation of a conversation...not a debate. :)