Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry to shout, but I'm frustrated that I'm turning into one of those unsuccessful band patients. I was banded with Realize 3 years ago and lost about 35 lbs. Now I've plateau'ed, lost my motivation, eat junk, and have wasted $20K on this surgery only to find out my problem is in my head. My band is filled to capacity and I occassionally get stuck and throw up food. I eat the same types of food as before, just not as much. But I still eat a hell of a lot! I haven't gained the 35 back, but I need to lose another 35! Any advise would be welcome. Thanks.

Please forgive me for sounding ignorant, but you have lost your motivation? 35 lbs is a measureable amount. Get help with the problem in your head, if that is what you think it is.....I am not ashamed to say it, I go to counselling. Not for my problems with food, but other things, that help me to turn to food. I too occasionally get stuck and throw up...more than others! Take your time, think about what you are doing...keep a journal. Stop eating JUNK. WORK YOUR BAND, it wont work for you. Use the tool that you spent 20K on, and good luck!

Sorry to shout, but I'm frustrated that I'm turning into one of those unsuccessful band patients. I was banded with Realize 3 years ago and lost about 35 lbs. Now I've plateau'ed, lost my motivation, eat junk, and have wasted $20K on this surgery only to find out my problem is in my head. My band is filled to capacity and I occassionally get stuck and throw up food. I eat the same types of food as before, just not as much. But I still eat a hell of a lot! I haven't gained the 35 back, but I need to lose another 35! Any advise would be welcome. Thanks.

I hear ya!

I think we have an amazing ability to sabotage our own success, though. I am struggling with that myself.

It helps me IMMENSELY if the bad food choices are not even brought into my house....if they're there and I see them...well it's a 50/50 chance I'm gonna eat them. Surround yourself with good stuff and see if it's easier to get back on track.

The band works when you work with it. If you work against your band, you can't expect to lose. Maybe it's time to go back to your surgeon and see if your band/pouch are still in good shape. Otherwise, to be blunt, it's up to you to get your stuff together. It sounds like you may be eating around the band, eating carelessly, and not making healthy food choices. You're eating the same types of food; why? You should be eating healthier and focusing on your Protein and Water intake.

In short, you need to work with your band. It's not going to do all the work for you; it's not gonna keep you from eating what you want. That is your own choice. Maybe a nutritionist or therapist could be of great help to you.

The band works when you work with it. If you work against your band, you can't expect to lose. Maybe it's time to go back to your surgeon and see if your band/pouch are still in good shape. Otherwise, to be blunt, it's up to you to get your stuff together. It sounds like you may be eating around the band, eating carelessly, and not making healthy food choices. You're eating the same types of food; why? You should be eating healthier and focusing on your Protein and Water intake.

In short, you need to work with your band. It's a tool; it's not gonna keep you from eating what you want. That is your own choice. Maybe a nutritionist or therapist could be of great help to you.

This.

I still have to pick and choose what I eat everyday. Learn about calories and portions... you can't be skinny and eat fat people food, doesn't work that way.

It's hard turning down Junk food at times for me as well, but I've learned that if I really want this tool (band) to help me, I have to put an effort into it as well. So I've quit eating the junk or if I Have any its very very rare. Cut the pop, drink more Water, exercise alot, and really watch what I eat and Portion Control. It has its ups and downs thats for sure. I've become hooked to my scale. I weigh each morning and if I go up I know what I did the day before that I should not have done. If it goes down I know what I did and keep doing it. Best Of Luck!!!

I know exactly how you feel i am addicted to food. it is constantly running threw my head and support groups do not help me. i have to have hamburgers and chocolate it haunts me day and night. i am too going to see a psychitrist this week to see if he has a pill that can help me get it out of my head. I know when i was on Phendermine i did great i never thought about food and didnt want to eat much but it is addictive.

I am also a lap band failure.. or so I feel like it. I was banded on May 17th 2010 and ONLY lost 50 pounds within the first three months. weight loss has since stopped and I am eating any and EVERYTHING with NO problems. I feel like a failure, I cry at night, and I am still fat.. this was not the way things were suppose to go. I am NOT suppose to end my weight loss at 249 pounds... My fills cost 250.00 a pop and I have not had one in about 5 months. I know that is probably the main reason the weight loss slowed down but seriously I dont even follow any of the guidelines anymore.. the motivation and EVERYTHING is gone. I need help... I really want to be healthy and get rid of this sleep apnea or at least have it less severe..... please someone help me. food is my life.. I think about it almost all day or when I am eating I'm think about my next meal.... whats a girl to do?? I need some advice, some TLC and some Prayer... I don't want to LOSE this weight battle..... I want to LOSE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!

Omg chocolate I never knew they cost that much. My heart goes out to you <big hug>

I am also a lap band failure.. or so I feel like it. I was banded on May 17th 2010 and ONLY lost 50 pounds within the first three months. weight loss has since stopped and I am eating any and EVERYTHING with NO problems. I feel like a failure, I cry at night, and I am still fat.. this was not the way things were suppose to go. I am NOT suppose to end my weight loss at 249 pounds... My fills cost 250.00 a pop and I have not had one in about 5 months. I know that is probably the main reason the weight loss slowed down but seriously I dont even follow any of the guidelines anymore.. the motivation and EVERYTHING is gone. I need help... I really want to be healthy and get rid of this sleep apnea or at least have it less severe..... please someone help me. food is my life.. I think about it almost all day or when I am eating I'm think about my next meal.... whats a girl to do?? I need some advice, some TLC and some Prayer... I don't want to LOSE this weight battle..... I want to LOSE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!

First, be proud of the 50lbs you've lost. That is 50lbs gone and you lost it in a 3 month's time; that is a great weight loss amount. Use that to spark your motivation again. In 3 more months you could lose 50lbs more, that puts you under 200lbs.

Either way...tough love; get yourself back on track. If you can't afford fills, then it's up to YOU to make healthy eating choices. Having a fill only keeps you fuller longer. If you're still eating crap food, the band isn't going to work for you, fill or not.

You said it yourself; you're not even following guidelines. Then how are you expecting to lose? Are you going to blame it on a lack of fills when you're eating poorly? It doesn't work that way.

Start counting your calories each day. Focus on your Protein amounts and aim for at least 20g each meal. Protein keeps you fuller for longer. Get rid of all the unhealthy food in your house and keep it out of sight if you cannot control what you eat. Also, exercise. Even a small walk around your own house is exercise. Go for a walk outside. Run in place for 5 minutes 5 times.

If food is so important to you maybe it's time to see a therapist as well.

I totally understand how you feel. I have lost about 30-35 pounds in 15 months and have had about 6-7 fills at $175 each! I honestly think there may be a problem with my band. This is my 2nd band (had a Lap band the first time have Realize band now) and with the first band I lost 60+ pounds in about 8 months--which I was happy to do! I was looking for similar or better results with this band. I do what my doctor asks me to do, but admit I have temporarily slacked up on exercising as much. Many of the people that are telling you that YOU are the problem have already lost tons of weight. It is easy for others to see the error in your ways when they have been successful. It is also easier to stay motivated and encouraged when you are seeing progress. YES the band is a tool, but it should play a major role in your weight loss. Many advise cutting calories, exercising more, seeing a therapist, and watching your portions. I AGREE. You should definitely do that, however, if it were that easy, you would have lost weight without the band (and they would have to)! The first time I lost weight, I was encouraged by seeing results. It doesn't make you feel good to spend $20,000 and be told that you need to diet and exercise more. You could have saved the money and stuck to dieting and exercising for the results youve seen!! You (and I) are just the types that may not respond well to the band. It sucks, but we are going to have to do it on our own...let's encourage each other. You may also want to consult with your physician to make sure there are no malfunctions with your band. Good Luck!

I think it is easy for all of us to get discouraged if we hit a plateau for a few days or a few weeks. We start thinking something isn't working. For me, in the past. I would start thinking bad thoughts about how I was going to fail again. The thing I forgot to do is to love the journey and to remind myself that our bodies have an amazing ability to heal. A plateau may look discouraging from the standpoint that we aren't seeing the scales move but if we take a second look, it may be our bodies way of protecting us. It may just be that our bodies slow the weight loss to allow the skin to have time to retract. When we loose a lot of weight fast, we know that we stand a chance of having sagging skin. I used to get so mad when I would plateau. Now, I just keep on keeping on and remind myself that my body, mind, or both is processing the changes that are going on inside of me, my skin is tightening up to conform to the weight loss and my mind is adapting to make sure the changes are what I want and that all is safe for me. Since I have had this change of mind and continue to send myself love and acceptance instead of getting mad for not seeing the scales move, I have noticed that my plateaus are fewer and they don't seem to last as long. Keep picturing your end result. Let your mind fully grasp where you are going to end up and then just be full of joy that you are not where you started out. If I start to have a discouraging moment now, I turn on my radio for the day and just dance around and allow myself to feel good, even if I don't understand everything that is going on with me. I am in smaller clothes. My face is smaller. Sometimes it truly is all about how you look at it. Good luck on your journey guys. We are all amazing. Take some time to love where you are today and where you are going.

God, thank you today that I am working to get another pound of weight off of my bones and that I am not fighting cancer or another terminal illness. Thank you that what I am losing is weight and not a limb. Thank you for walking with each one of us to give us hope and insperation as we go to places we have never been before in mind, body, and spirit...........and God, thank you for the new image you have given me of my body when I reach the top of this mountain, even if somedays all I can take is a baby step to get there.

I am on my second Realize Band. Had many complications with first one. Had it unfilled and then eventually removed, gained back 40 of my 80 lbs without it but all my own fault because I was so discouraged at having it removed. But changed surgeons and had it replaced. I was at almost full capacity with first band and no restriction but I had had many many slippages, way too much vomiting. I hate to see you consider yourself a failure. I know this time around, now knowing symptoms to watch for, I don't think I was the best band patient with my eating habits...it was tough because of vomiting...I know I didn't eat slow enough and chew enough. But I do know lots of folks that still go to weight watchers. I also will seek counseling to deal with eating issues because the band doesn't resolve the reasons why we turn to food in times of stress or whatever. Please don't give up on the band just yet...I am from a two-generation banded family...my daughter is banded also (successfully so) and is very supportive in the fact that she recognizes that I do need to work on my eating disorder.

Good luck!!

Trisha

The band when filled properly will only restrict your food intake of non-slider foods, the band does not help you with the emotional part of eating, the self destructive yet satisfying for a brief time part of eating or the quell the pleasure you believe you will get form that cheeseburger or chocolate feeling. You are not a band failure you have had some weight loss success but lost confidence in yourself when you plateaued. You can reign it all back in. As a pp suggested, have your band looked at to be sure it is in working order and is as full as you believe it to be. Track your calories and Protein intake, add some exercise --walking is a very good place to start. If you need more help go to a psychologist or psychiatrist to help you get a handle on things...no shame in asking for help so you can get yourself healthy and enjoy what you spent your hard earned money on.

OMG, I just knew the "it's a tool" people were gonna come and preach to you. So sick of that.

Your fills are twice the cost of mine, and when they start coming out of my pocket I will be having a chat with the doc!!! Have you tried talking to him to give you more cc's in the fill, or maybe they will set up payments? Surgery is a lot of money and you should have your fills and get your money's worth!!!