Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, so, I've had my band for almost 4 weeks. Right before and right after surgery, I had 2 people tell me what it's like to have the band. What's best to eat, what's not, and they said that everyone vomits, it's normal. I haven't yet, and I hate vomiting, it's the main reason I got this surgery. Is it possible to be one of the few to not vomit at all? I'm just afraid of messing up! I make sure to not drink anything 30 minutes before, during, or after eating, I make sure to eat slowly and chew my food till it's completely liquefied, and I've been measuring all my food that I'm able to, to be 3/4 of a cup, or 6 ounces of food if it won't fit into a measuring cup. Also, I know this'll sound gross, but I have to know; Is it normal if after being banded, your pee gets more yellow? Also, I've been *super* thirsty after being banded. I'm pretty sure it's not because of my climate (I live in PA, where it's still pretty cold). Any answers would be helpful. Sorry, I worry a lot!

I didn't vomit either until I got my first fill. Now I'm testing the waters and learning what I can and can't eat, etc. therefore I have vomitted a few times. By all means, I don't consider myself a "vomitter" but I am still learning that if I do certain things that food might get "stuck" which might cause it to come back up!

OK, so, I've had my band for almost 4 weeks. Right before and right after surgery, I had 2 people tell me what it's like to have the band. What's best to eat, what's not, and they said that everyone vomits, it's normal. I haven't yet, and I hate vomiting, it's the main reason I got this surgery. Is it possible to be one of the few to not vomit at all? I'm just afraid of messing up! I make sure to not drink anything 30 minutes before, during, or after eating, I make sure to eat slowly and chew my food till it's completely liquefied, and I've been measuring all my food that I'm able to, to be 3/4 of a cup, or 6 ounces of food if it won't fit into a measuring cup. Also, I know this'll sound gross, but I have to know; Is it normal if after being banded, your pee gets more yellow? Also, I've been *super* thirsty after being banded. I'm pretty sure it's not because of my climate (I live in PA, where it's still pretty cold). Any answers would be helpful. Sorry, I worry a lot!

Hi. I have not been banded yet but at the seminar I went to they showed a slideshow of people that had been banded by that surgeon and told a little about each one's experience. There was one woman who had been banded for quite a while they said never vomited. She has done very well and lost a lot of weight - I can't remember how much. But they said it was because she was very careful, like you, and chewed everything very well. So I think it's great that you haven't vomited and I hope I can be the same way. I HATE vomiting!

The yellow pee might mean you're a little dehydrated or if you're taking Vitamins that can turn your pee darker and more yellow too. Please tell your dr. just in case, but I wouldn't be too worried. You probably just need to drink more between meals since you're not drinking with meals anymore. I know most of my liquids come from drinking with meals so I will have to be very diligent about getting liquids after the band. Sounds like you're doing great!

If you have not vomitted - Congrats you are doing everything right. It happens to people a lot but because they are eating too fast or not chewing. It can cause slippage, so people may say everybody does it but the ultimate goal is to NOT vomit! I agree about the dark urine, you need more Water.< /p>

Knock on wood I am 6 months out and I have never vomited. I think that SOME people get their bands too tight and that leads to vomitting. There are posters who say I can't eat red meat or something else (it makes them vomit), but is'nt that great I'm eating less! Uhh no. There have also been posters who write in to say: Don't keep you band to tight it leads to vomiting and eventual slipping of the band. Which means surgery to remove it.

Everyone does not vomit and vomiting is not normal. Nor is it the price one has to "pay" to lose weight with the band.

If you are vomiting it is either because:

1) You're too tight (a common problem among those who depend too much on the band for weight loss)

2) Eating the wrong foods

3) Eating too fast

4) Not chewing enough

5) Or possibly something wrong with the band

All vomiting should be reported to the doctor.

The "refunding" that some people get after banding is not the same as the nausea/vomiting that most are familiar with. There is very little to no nausea, and the food that comes back isn't mixed with digestive juices so it doesn't taste nasty coming back.

Most of the time, if you don't keep your band too tight and take small bites, chew well and eat slowly, you won't have issues with getting stuck and having to PB (productive burp) or refund the food.

The intensely yellow urine is likely due to you not getting in enough Water. My doctor says that we should strive for a minimum of 64oz of Water a day, but that it may take a week or two to work up to that amount. Try keeping a glass or bottle of water near you between meals and sip frequently. It's OK to use crystal lite or some other very low calorie flavor if you must. Plain water is better, but the fluids are the more important consideration right now. A multi Vitamin on its own is unlikely to cause highly colored urine, but I also take a B-100 supplement and for a few hours after taking that, my urine is very yellow.. but returns to almost clear.

If you don't want to drink water.. make some warm tea or coffee.. (a little caffeine [2 or 3 cups per day] isn't all that dehydrating, contrary to popular thinking. Check the mayo clinic site about coffee and dehydration. )

Sounds like you're doing well over all. Congrats on being banded. And don't apologize for "gross" questions.. we're mainly adults who've gone through a medical procedure and need to be able to discuss topics without shame or embarrassment. :)

Melissannde you success is AMAZING. I hope I am this successful!

I was banded 12/29/2010. I had my first fill Monday 02/14/2011. I got 4ccs in a 14cc band and feel NO restriction. I go back 02/28/2011.

That said, I LOVE the phrase-refunding-so much better than PB or puking.

I have NOT vomited. I don't intend to if I can help it. I did have one bout of lots of deep hard belching after eating lunch too fast at my desk one day.Nothing came up, but I learned to SLOW DOWN, chewchewchew, pay attention to what I am putting in my mouth.

Yellow pee is dehydration or a result of something you have ingested, Silver. Does it STAY yellow or does it dissipate later in the day?

I'm almost 4 months out and i have not vomited at all. Most comments i've read here regarding vomiting seem to come from being too full with the band. I think it must be very hard for some people to realize where the spot is that the band is too full or just right and it's simple trial & error with the fillings. Thankfully for me, i was able to notice right after my 2nd fill that i ate too much at one meal & got sick in my stomach & my eyes Water immediately....only took once to learn that feeling & know how much was too much. Since then i have it happen 1 more time, simply misjudged on a salad no less, but the rest is just Portion Control. I can eat everything but raw veggies and they just take some extra chewing.

I am nearly 6 months post op and vomited for the first time last week. It was my own fault i got too confident and did not chew my meat enough. It is a different experience, it was intense pain in my central back with a very rapid progression to up chucking. I was out, and only just made it to the bathroom. I am going to start carrying a plastic bag of some sort just incase, but hopefully i have learnt my lesson - chew properly.

I am 4 months out and had no problems until my last fill. I am up to 8 ccs and I have had two experiences of what I prefer to call spitting up since this last fill. I say spitting up because there is no nausea or quezzy feeling, just a stuck like pain and in a couple of very productive burps I was able to bring up whatever it was causing me the problem. Both times this occurred when I was very hungry (which is not usual for me), and began eating way too fast, so this past week I have been starting my meals very slowly and chewing more carefully. No problems since. I also agree with the previous posts that have agreed that it is NOT normal to vomit. It may occur like in my case as you learn to listen to you body, but I believe we can all avoid this unpleasantness with a little effort!!!!

I was banded on Jan. 26. I had my three week follow up today. I have lost 10 lbs. Got my first fill today (1.5 cc). I have never vomited since the surgery. I haven't even been sick really. I can eat anything without getting sick. I did notice that my urine got darker in color, but I assumed this was from not peeing as often as I did before surgery. I find the opposite, I am less thirsty now than pre-op. I was borderline diabetic pre-op and that is what I blamed the thirst on. I do not desire to drink near as much now. I also live in PA. I would say that we are very lucky to not be vomiting :)

If your pee is bright yellow, that is from Vitamins. Dark yellow from not drinking enough Water.

I'm 3 weeks out and have never gotten a refund. Lol