Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Third Fill and no restriction!!

Hi there,

I had my third fill last week of 0.75ml and now have 6.25ml in a 10ml band and have no restriction and am hungry all the time. I am getting by using will power and exercise but am very disappointed with the band at the moment.

Have any of you had similar experiences??

Many thanks

I did not see any restriction until 9.4 CC and may be in restriction at 10 CC. There are some who are in their sweet spot when they are eating and no longer feel hungry vs feeling full. Which is what happens for me. You may want to keep that in mind while you evalute whether you are at restriction. The goal is not to be so tight that you can't eat certain foods. You should be able to a variety of foods but have smaller portions. There are posters who say they are in the "sweet spot" but then say they can't eat most solids (keep in mind it is normal to be tighter in the morning).

Hi there,

I had my third fill last week of 0.75ml and now have 6.25ml in a 10ml band and have no restriction and am hungry all the time. I am getting by using will power and exercise but am very disappointed with the band at the moment.

Many thanks

I had severe restriction about a year ago and lost a lot of weight but my health was poor and was having a lot of reflux and sickness (I was not able to eat much at all). I went for a release and it was fabulous to be able to each what I liked. My health improved, but so did my weight. When I got to 12 stone I went to get the band filled again, but after 3 attempts I still have not restricion and can eat anything and do !! - I am now 13 stone and back to obese.... I can't keep paying £120 per time for them to get it wrong?

Jan

That sucks! =( I hope you get restriction soon.

Hi Amber,

I can relate to your woes, even tho I'm only to have my 2nd fill tomorrow and only at 3.3ccs in 10cc band. But Honk is right as I've heard several others who've been banded a while on here say about gaging your hunger vs. the fullness. I also heard that it takes many people a few fills to get good restriction. My bariatric coordinator/nutritionist told me on a few occasions I probably will be wanting to get fills once a month for about the first 3-4 fills before I start to really feel anything. But she also said everyone's different. I do notice too more tightness in the morning.... have a much harder time at night with my food intake (which was my problem pre band oy) :(

Anyway, hang in (with me) Amber! We keep the will power and the exercise going for now! :D

Best of luck to you in your journey!

Susan

Hi there,

Many thanks

Hi,

Are you communicating this information to your surgeon? Please don't get frustrated with the band as it a process that will take time and determination. Many surgeons do not hesitate to increase the fill of the band. So stay strong and continue to receive fills until you have a restriction. I saw my surgeon three times in 1 month until I got the appropriate fill 7.5 ml. Since then I am never hungry and can see a difference in my body daily.

Good Luck

Hi there,

Many thanks

Hi everyone!:)

I have a 9cc realize band, it was put in sept 09. I didnt get restriction until 12 fills later! My doc, did fills ONLY every 6 weeks and most were small ones.

12 fills later I FINALLY have restriction, 8.25cc's in my 9cc band. I was extremely frustrated but my Doc was stubborn and would only do small fills, no way would she go higher at all. I wanted to pull my hair out at the end of it all and then I finally got what I needed and its been smooth sailing since,,,,it took months and months of bandster hell to get here but im here. Hang in there and keep doing what your doing, it will happen eventualy.

Take care everyone!

I'm sorry it's taking so long for you to feel restriction :(

I'm another one getting by on willpower for now but have only had 1 fill. I hope I will feel something sooner than later. Looks like there are a few of us in the willpower boat...glad to know I'm not alone.

I am in bandster hell too... Surgery was 11/17 (no cc's in the band at all), the first fill was in early January - he wouldn't put anything in until then, really?. Then he started at 3 cc's, which is fairly common I guess. I just went in for my second fill last week and he upped it to 4cc's. I have another appt scheduled in a month to revisit.

I have had 0, nada, zilch in terms of restriction or feeling fuller. I am down only a total of 33 pounds (including all that I lost pre-op). I am eating better and exercising but only losing 1-2 per week max. And I am starving... I just want some help. I can't do this alone or I would have done it years ago so I know exactly where you are coming from.

I am giving it time, but it is a LONG road. I know I'll make it through but I can't believe I am 3 months post op and the band has yet to do anything to support my efforts. Just keep your eyes on the prize and keep pushing.

Thinking about you :)

Hi there,

Many thanks

I guess everyone is different because I have a fair amount of restriction without having had my first fill. I am going to get it the first week of March, but I actually have been doing well so far without it. I am even wondering if I need it. I am sorry you are feeling like that. I do think that i have more of a not-hungry feeling than a full feeling as one person stated. I have had a few things that seem harder to eat as well, esp in the morning...bread and Pasta being two of those. I hope you can find a good spot. :)

I had my 4th fill 2 weeks ago, I feel like I'm finally where I'm supposed to be. I am able to feel "satisfied" between meals for 5 hours which is the spot we really want to be in. Hang in there, ever ones body is different, keep working WITH the band. The way I see it is any week I don't gain weight is a direct correlation to having the band because I was gaining like crazy before it.

I had my surgery 4/8/09 and hit restriction (too much so) on 12/09. I entered the office at 6.5 and was at 6.7 when I left and could eat hardly anything and was sliming and could not even drink my Protein Shake. I went back 1 1/2 months later and the doctor took me down to 6.2 which was lower than I started because he said my stomache was inflamed and needed to heal. I was back to being hungry all the time and he took me bck to 6.5. In December of 2009 I again was hungry all the time at 6.5 and the doctor put in 6.7 again. I was fine for the first month and then started to feel sick when swallowing a pill or from eating. Around 2/1/11 I started having acid reflux everynight and am taking omerprazole (2 a day), 6 tums, gas x, and liquid Malox at night. I cannot get into the doctor until March 1 to have liquid removed. I cannot sleep at night, feel like I am choking, and have severe gas pains, and cannot each much or drink much. Take it slow with the fills and don't go too far. It is not worth it. I was in the same boat you were and felt like my willpower would not hold out, but you can do it. Good luck!

Hi everyone!:)

I have a 9cc realize band, it was put in sept 09. I didnt get restriction until 12 fills later! My doc, did fills ONLY every 6 weeks and most were small ones.

12 fills later I FINALLY have restriction, 8.25cc's in my 9cc band. I was extremely frustrated but my Doc was stubborn and would only do small fills, no way would she go higher at all. I wanted to pull my hair out at the end of it all and then I finally got what I needed and its been smooth sailing since,,,,it took months and months of bandster hell to get here but im here. Hang in there and keep doing what your doing, it will happen eventualy.

Take care everyone!

Your dr is ripping off the insurance companies and those who are self pay. My first fill was 5cc my second (today) was 2cc, I'm now at 7cc in an 11cc band, we'll see how that goes. I don't understand putting in 1/2 a cc at a time, that is a scam to me, sorry it took so many for you to finally get that restriction.