Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Get this thing out of me

I had my surgery done in 2007. I went to a couple of support groups (only one there) and a few doctors appointments, but haven't been in since 2008. Even with fills I have zero restriction. Can eat 4 slices of pizza no problem. I started exercising, but the port is really uncomfortable. Lately I've had extreme tightness around my upper stomach when I breathe, and I can't seem to get a good breath, especially at night. I just want this thing out of me.

I've been reading through the forums, but have found a lot of conflicting information on having the band removed. Some people say it's riskier because of adhesion, some say not because there's no internal healing. Since it's an out patient procedure, it doesn't seem to be as severe as having it put in. Some people say there's more pain, some less.

What're the risks? Please, I really really don't like the idea of having something in me anymore. I keep having nightmares and panic attacks. Absolutely no talking me out of it. This thing is coming out, so I really just need words of comfort right now.

The best advise I can give is if its causing u panic attacks u need to go back to the dr that put it in and tell him u want it out its causing u stress. I just got mine but my dr did mention he has taken some out for ppl who did not like it. He said it was as simple as putting it in. Good luck

[i am about as new as one can get here-have just started the process for qualifying for surg. but i know panic attacks real well- the first thing i would do if i were you is take some panic attack meds if you have any, if not do some deep breathing to calm yourself down and reaalize that it is Sunday and there is not much you can do today-i will pray God gives you His peace during this time. as far as the band-i would get it removed asap and get some panic attack meds in the interum. the band, as i see it, is a tool to get you used to portion size and good-for-you foods and hopefully since you have had yours for 3 years it has helped you fo that. in the end your peace of mind is worth more than any pain (they have meds and training to help deal with that) and it seems that once the band is out and you heal, peace should come. i am sorry yu are having problems and i pray they are resolved soon so yu can get on with your life. take care and yu are in my prayers

missm99

Sarah, have you spoken to the psychologist who you initially met with? Mine told me I could always call or come see him. He also offers support classes (see if yours does too). Just be sure to reach out to someone who can help (don't suffer alone).

The whole point of the band being better than bypass or sleeve is that it is reverseable...which, to me, means they can take it out. Whether or not your insurance will pay for it is another thing.

However, if it is causing panic attacks you might, through documentation, get enough evidence that the insurance company will pay for it. Maybe.

Sarah, have you spoken to the psychologist who you initially met with? Mine told me I could always call or come see him. He also offers support classes (see if yours does too). Just be sure to reach out to someone who can help (don't suffer alone).

I never spoke with a psychologist before getting the band.

I had my surgery done in 2007. I went to a couple of support groups (only one there) and a few doctors appointments, but haven't been in since 2008. Even with fills I have zero restriction. Can eat 4 slices of pizza no problem. I started exercising, but the port is really uncomfortable. Lately I've had extreme tightness around my upper stomach when I breathe, and I can't seem to get a good breath, especially at night. I just want this thing out of me.

I've been reading through the forums, but have found a lot of conflicting information on having the band removed. Some people say it's riskier because of adhesion, some say not because there's no internal healing. Since it's an out patient procedure, it doesn't seem to be as severe as having it put in. Some people say there's more pain, some less.

What're the risks? Please, I really really don't like the idea of having something in me anymore. I keep having nightmares and panic attacks. Absolutely no talking me out of it. This thing is coming out, so I really just need words of comfort right now.

My understanding is that there is scarring where they put the stitches to anchor the band in place. How much depends on the individual body. Some can have full ecapsulation of the band, some just have the stitches and the little scars where they were placed.

You say you only went to a few doctors appointments. Did you ever have restriction? I ask because if you did not get proper follow-up with proper fills, the band most likely will not work well.

As to the procedure to remove it. It is similar to putting it in. I am not sure what your definition of outpatient is, but it involves general anesthesia and a laparoscopic surgery the same as placing it. If you have a lot of scarring, then they might need to do more work to release the adhesions.

With your recent symptoms, you need to be seen and find out what is happening, you could have some scar tissue causing problems.

As ElfiePoo said, getting removal paid for by insurance is not as easy as saying, "hey, I want this done..thank you." What they determine to be medically necessary for removal may not be the same as your opinion. Needing a full operating room with general anesthesia will not come cheap.

Best wishes to you. I hope you get it sorted out.

So, apparently the band has damaged my stomach's ability to empty which is messing with my small intestines. Besides that, my gallbladder is infected and has caused my pancreas to swell which is creating other problems. The surgeon wants to get both my lap band and gallbladder out by the end of this month, but his secretary is being a real b**** about things. I've been trying to schedule an appointment since last Thursday. Everyday I get the same thing: I'm catching up on work. I have your file in my hands and will call you. It's getting to be really annoying, considering I've been having anxiety issues about the band. I feel as if she's trying to show me who's in charge, but that really isn't funny when my health is on the line. She told me yesterday that she had to take care of a patient with an emergency. Really? What would you call my situation. I can't breathe and am in constant pain and you've been putting off speaking to me for three business days? The doctor actually e-mailed me on Sunday to ask why I hadn't scheduled yet. She told me to stop calling. On Thursday I called once in the morning to inform her of the situation, and once in the afternoon to give her my work number since I was no longer at home. Is that too much? I don't think so. I'm just getting more and more anxious. On top of that, the doctor knows about a personal issue I have and wanted to get me into surgery the week before April 7th (when I have to testify at a murder trial) so I wouldn't have to take anymore time off of work than I had to. Now the week before April 7th is coming up, and this woman is only making things harder on herself by putting me off. How am I supposed to deal with someone like this? I'm pretty sure that if I don't hear from her today, I'm just gonna drive down there tomorrow and do this in person.

If the doctor e-mailed you to ask why you haven't scheduled yet, I would respond and tell him exactly why. He needs to know how you are being treated because you almost certainly aren't the only patient she is treating this way.

What Vicky said. If the doctor is asking why you haven't scheduled, then the scheduling person is pulling a power play. Let the doctor know. I would go down and wouldn't bother talking to this woman. I'd ask to see her *boss*.

As for how simple or not it is to take out, I'm having mine out on the 23rd of this month. My surgeon said it may be as simple as laparascopic incisions and removal...just a reverse of how they put it in...or it may need one bigger incision depending on whether or not they find adhesions which can't be dealt with laparoscopically.

Elfiepoo why are having your band removed?

What a stupid woman. I called in the morning and very politely said "I just wanted to confirm that you had the correct number, since I didn't hear from you yesterday." She replied: That's because I didn't call, and hung up on me. I called back at 1 and spoke with another doctor's secretary. I told that secretary to please leave a message for T, because she was being very unreasonable and petty, and I know that calling her directly will just cause her to play with my health more, but perhaps if one of her coworkers knew what was going on, she'd be embarrassed into action. Well, 6 minutes later she calls me and we get my surgery set up in less than 5 minutes. Wow, 5 minutes. Yeah, I believe the amount of time she spent on the phone over the past 6 days telling me how busy she was and how she couldn't speak with me added up to more than the amount of time needed to get this going.

Never accept such behavior from your Doctor's secretary or anyone else. It sounds like she got caught being mean when you talked to the other secretary. You have the right to be treated nicely and when you aren't to ask to speak to someone else. Glad you got the attention you deserved, finally and a surgery date. You said you never saw a psychologist before getting lap band which is really amazing since its a requirement most places. Its necessary before lap band to understand what it will be like and if that works for a person. Gall bladder pain can be horrible, so empathize with that. I had mine removed years before lap band. Good luck and hope removing the band, gall bladder too, helps relieve your misery. You deserve to be happy.

Elfiepoo why are having your band removed?

Since the day of surgery my band has been causing phrenic nerve pain (some part of band rubbing against the diaphragm causing a referred pain to the left shoulder/upper arm). I've given it 16 months to resolve like others have, but mine is just getting worse so they're taking it out.

You said you never saw a psychologist before getting lap band which is really amazing since its a requirement most places.

Yeah, the nurse practitioner asked me a few questions and filled out the forms for me. Now the practice's website has all the information on what you'll need and allows you to print the forms out, but at the time I got my band I never even knew that this was a requirement. I did know how my life would change afterward (diet wise) but don't feel as if I was properly informed of the long term health risks.