Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop diet to get back on track?

I have heard that some people go back on the pre op diet when they get off track on dieting and losing weight. I finally realized today that I am off track and need to do something to get back on track.

Has anyone tried this?

Did it work?

Did you lose weight doing this?

I am just trying to figure out if this is what I should do to get back on track.

I think you will loose weight if you do a low cal/fat liquid diet. After fills I have to do 24hr full liq. and 24hr mushies; and I usually loose a couple pounds. The problem with doing a liquid diet long term is that the liquid will fall right through the band; to your "large stomach". So in my opinion counter productive. If you eat solid foods you will feel full longer and less likely to snack and thus eat more calories than you need. Personally I would take a week and measure all foods 3 oz Protein and measure veggies. Be very stricked about what you eat. Ask yourself "If my doctor was here would I eat that?" If not don't eat it. After that week see if you have lost and use that experience to reevalute your eating behaviors.

It depends on the person. If you think that would help, then do it. If you find it too difficult to go cold turkey, do it in steps. Cut out the sugar...then cut out the wheat products. Whatever works for you.

Well I have been banded since June 2009 and just seem off track or on a plateau I guess. I only consume 1000-1200 calories a day and cant seem to lose more weight.

What are you eating? Do you track your food? Do you drink enough Water? Daily Protein amounts? Give us some insight as to what you eat on a daily basis, etc.

ok I will give today as an example

Breakfast - 2 egg whites & 1cup of strawberries cut up

snack - 2 pieces of turkey and 1 cheese stick

lunch - 1 can of tuna with 2tbsp light miracle whip (no bread)

Snack - Protein shake

and for dinner we are having BBQ Pulled pork sandwiches (no bread for me) and sweet potatoe fries (baked)

I try to get at least 60 grams of Protein a day

I track my food every day

I have a 32oz Water bottle at my desk at work and fill it 3 times a day then drink Water at home as well

once in a while I will have Crystal Light but thats sugar free

I just dont know what I am doing wrong.

I agree. More Protein at meals and no Snacks. I will sometimes have a small tidbit of something in between meals, but I don't snack between every meal.

By the way, I have considered doing liquid/soft food diet for a couple of days or more, to see if I can jump start a little more weight loss.

I was wondering about that.. but i'm guessing losing Water weight isn't that good for you. and liquid diet right now makes me WAY more hungry.

I would try eating more calories in a day (maybe to 1400 calories) and working out a bit more. Try strength training if you haven't already. I was told that it's good to "trick" your body by chaning calories consumed and expended. Try this for a few days, it might be just what your body needs.

Bella Luna has the right idea. Spike your calories to around 1600 for one day and see if that jump starts things. It sounds counter intuitive but it will jump start your metabolism into burning again. Unless you're weight lifting as well, chances are you're burning muscle and your body is in starvation mode and is holding onto the calories you eat.

You may need to get your body fat percentage and muscle percentage checked to verify.